Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Trying to be objective about a few threads on this subject. Firstly, I get equal amount of annoyance out of being one-shotted as I get joy out one-shotting others - but I make no excuses for thinking the expose/exploit mechanic is fantastic.

I've played a lot of ground pvp and my suggestions (along with some consolidation of others') would be (along with reasons):
  • Immunity to hold for 20 secs after being held by anything: if you survive it, you deserve some immunity
  • Reduce the amount of healing given by hypos: removes the Bruce Lee attitude and gives more value to science healers
  • Reduce the amount of shield regen given by shield charges: removes the Bruce Lee attitude and gives more value to engineer healers
  • Do something drastic with the split-beam, either reduce damage or take it out: yes we love it, yes we all carry it but there's a reason - it dps's like a single target weapon and targets like an aoe - it's cookie cutter because it's OP
  • ntroduce more diversity - capture the flag, defend the headquarters, defend the bridge, take/release prisoners something more than just arena: pvp'ers can get bored too
  • Remove ability to spam rifle-butt: martial arts/bat'leth is one thing, but rifle butt spamming is pathetic
  • Fix the queue; don't let the match start until it's 5v5: no matter whether fed or klink, 5v1 is ridiculous and if anyone else joins it's probably already 10-2 by the time they join
  • Remove expose/hold combination, if you are exposed, release the hold: being held is one thing, having to stand there and wait for your opponents cooldown on his one-shot weapon is just daft, this will stop people using their special until they can actually use it and give the exposed a chance to counter
  • Fix line of sight so it works: line of sight is line of sight, we're still shooting each other around corners and up ramps - you could argue lag here, but check for LOS at time of impact and not at time of firing and it's resolved
  • Reduce the rewards for losing: repeatedly rewarding mediocrity provides no incentive to improve
  • Fix character rolling so you can roll in the direction of your camera, not your character: double-tapping backwards only to roll INTO the enemy is just silly, first press should point your back at the camera, second press should roll you that way
  • Fix jump so that you either jump, or you don't - it seems the longer you hold the button in the higher you jump: making your character jump shouldn't be a minigame, if you want to jump, you should jump to full height
  • Introduce some kind of melee blocking to give melee a purpose: the sheer thought of not having any melee blocking is bizarre, going up against a bat'leth wielding klink and spamming rifle butt is non-sensical and beyond comprehension
  • Introduce running-collision knockback:give the Bruce Lee types something to do after reducing hypo and shield regen values
  • Introduce pvp stats history and rewards: pvp'ers are a funny sort of breed, give them a goal and they will aim for it - strange that
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Sticky please nice post m8
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2010, 04:22 AM
The only other thing I have to say about this is even though engies and science should have a better role in the game if you remove the hypo heal then tactical will become unless as they have nothing to bring to the table, well apart from a little a little more dps. Tactical should get some new toys not abilities that insta kill but something to bring fun to the game apart from shooting, leg sweeping and such. The only really fun ability they have at the mo is stealthing which is awesome, BUT science characters lately have been able to see me a mile off the other side of the room sometimes, and this is unfair, there almost impossible to kill as it is!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2010, 04:31 AM
Removing hypos as was said is death to the tactical players. Keep the split beam gun, because it is one of the few viable weapons when fighting 1vs2-3. It gives you a chance to take at least one person down. I am in favor of the hold immunity though; being chain held is silly. Cool-down on the rifle butt attack also gets a + from me, I think it should be given 90-100 damage but same cooldown as the lounge. Camera issues....I don't know if that will be fixed. I am really tired of going forward with back button and vice versa. ♥♥♥
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
Removing hypos as was said is death to the tactical players. Keep the split beam gun, because it is one of the few viable weapons when fighting 1vs2-3. It gives you a chance to take at least one person down. I am in favor of the hold immunity though; being chain held is silly. Cool-down on the rifle butt attack also gets a + from me, I think it should be given 90-100 damage but same cooldown as the lounge. Camera issues....I don't know if that will be fixed. I am really tired of going forward with back button and vice versa. ♥♥♥
Sorry if I wasn't clear on what I meant above - I do NOT want hypos out of the game at all, but with 100% heal and such a small cooldown on hypos - a healer is a nice to have, not a necessity in any form. My suggestion was to either a) increase the cooldown, b) reduce the healing values of the large hypo or c) remove the large hypo so that medium and small are still available.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2010, 05:10 AM
I agree with the whole post hypos might need their cool down extended not necessarily their healing ability decreased just my thoughtt.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2010, 11:00 AM
My suggestions would be:

- Try to stop the unbalanced teams on creation; I've spawned on a full team where we're running around looking for opponents, and after a while they start spawning one by one. Perhaps a holding area where folks can regroup would be nice. Like say a transporter room, with the option to mass transport to the same location.

- On deaths, either add a holding area or a spawn immunity of 10 seconds and a cloak for that time so you have time to regroup if you spawn in front of opponents. I've had this work both ways; it's kind of bad when you respawn in front of 3 opponents to get killed.

- Redesign the assimilated cruiser map. The "wall of blackness" and crates that fade in and out are annoying. And only being able to see portions of the map depending on your current room is a nuisance. If you're in the ower sections you can't see the upper sections, and vice versa. Personally I'd like to be able to see the whole map.

- For ground (and space) PvP, create a "super-team" akin to a "Raid group" on other MMOs so that everyone is in the same chat channel and can be identified on the map and the team list. It would certainly give PUGs an ability to coordinate better against premades.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambience View Post
My suggestions would be:
- Redesign the assimilated cruiser map. The "wall of blackness" and crates that fade in and out are annoying. And only being able to see portions of the map depending on your current room is a nuisance. If you're in the ower sections you can't see the upper sections, and vice versa. Personally I'd like to be able to see the whole map.
Holy crap, I had no idea that anyone else actually experienced this; I just figured it was my video card. This at least makes me feel a little better about my computer

Anyhow, I wanted to throw in a few thoughts as well:

- I'd love to see some environmental hazards in ground maps -- fire, plasma leaks, destructible containers. Force players to have more situational awareness, and give more options for ambushes the terrain.

- More maps with overlapping layers. Since we can see un-cloaked enemies on our mini-maps, the overlapping layers in certain maps help add an extra layer of misdirection. Having more maps with these types of areas would be grand.

- Fix the medical generator I don't want it to replace the science officers, but it'd be nice if it was more than something else for the enemy to shoot at

- Auto-group players. I can't believe this isn't in yet. I mean, come on, even CO has it, and PvP isn't even a viable means of leveling there. Also, I've found that people who are on a single team are FAR more likely to stick together (and consequently work together) -- I'm sure there's some strange psychological phenomenon behind this.

- 10v10 and larger maps. Mix in some capture points that provide some sort of support (anything from spawning NPC turrets around them to increasing regen rates or even a resistance buff while standing near it) and you've got yourself a genuine war zone. I think I just pooped a little.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Some great stuff here, keep it coming.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
have hypo's root you in place, longer cooldown
shields regen less
the guns that have a warmup should do more damage than fire on the move
firing on the move should affect your accuracy or damage
get rid of all the AOE knockdown abilities on shields
increase time to regen stamina so sprinting is not done 24/7
take more damage if your stamina is low
give tacticals a bonus to stamina
have melee rob you of stamina per hit, the more you get beat on, the more damage you take