Lt. Commander
# 1 Noob question about TOS.
02-22-2010, 03:54 AM
I'll admit, I never got into TOS, always a fan of TNG and later, minus Enterprise. But I'm not opposed to seeing something new just because it's old. I watched the first few episodes of TOS and felt like, this is crap. But I also saw a later episode, the one where Kirk meets Khan, and felt, this is pretty good.

So my question is, is there some point where it goes from crap to good? Like TNG did after season 2? Or is it just randomly good from time to time?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenician View Post
I'll admit, I never got into TOS, always a fan of TNG and later, minus Enterprise. But I'm not opposed to seeing something new just because it's old. I watched the first few episodes of TOS and felt like, this is crap. But I also saw a later episode, the one where Kirk meets Khan, and felt, this is pretty good.

So my question is, is there some point where it goes from crap to good? Like TNG did after season 2? Or is it just randomly good from time to time?
Well IMHO the relation of good episodes to bad episodes is better in TOS than in TNG, but I know that a lot of people will disagree here.

Also I can stand the bad TOS episodes much better than the bad TNG episodes, because TOS doesn't take itself that serious as TNG. And you find far less scientific crap in TOS than in TNG

However, unfortunately, as far is I know there is no good rule about which TOS episode is good and which is bad. Only consistent thing is that IMO the acting is better in the later episodes.

Basically, the later the episode the better the chance you won't get something really bad. But you won't be safe - ever
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2010, 04:14 AM
I too found the first few episodes of TOS to be horrid but to my delight it got much much better.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Whats wrong with Enterprise?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheduwa
entire Xindi crap was terrible -.-

but rest was ok but TNG/Voyeger/DS9 is still better than that
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2010, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheduwa
Mainly the scripts.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2010, 04:58 AM
Watch TOS with your eyes closed.
Honestly.

One of the big reasons why TOS (and star trek) got so popular was because there was a big hollywood writers strike during production. Since TOS was the only sci fi show in existence,SCI-FI serials wasn't included in the collective agreement, so all the good hollywood writers who wanted to make a quick buck during, sent in scripts.
That is why, in the 3rd season of TOS, you saw an INCREDIBLE drop in quality. Strike ended.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2010, 05:10 AM
The problem with Star Trek after DS9 was that it was silly.

The premise of Voyager was great, but
1) A new alien every week? Really? Why not "shake it up a bit" and have the same alien for a month? Why does each alien species have to have a singlular problem that defines them as a species?
2) Why "voyager"? If you noticed, as long as they were in that ship, they were always safe, right? What would have added an actual element of danger in the show is if they lost voyager and actually had to salvage, deal, "bend", rules to make it back to the Alpha Quadrant. Get a bad ship, and have to "fix it up". Have more than one ship!

Enterprise couldn't have worked.
Too much canon.
An "Elite Force" - like show would have worked better.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
1) A new alien every week? Really? Why not "shake it up a bit" and have the same alien for a month? Why does each alien species have to have a singlular problem that defines them as a species?
To be fair, they were in a relatively unexplored quadrant of space. Given the density of known species in the Alpha Quadrant, it makes sense that there'd be a similar density of unknown species in the Delta Quadrant.

The very premise of the show sort of implies they're gonna meet some new people. Every week might be excessive, but I think it makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2010, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenician View Post

Funny thing is the Khan episode was considered an early episode. Chekov wasn't even a cast member yet when they did that one. Sort of a well-known nitpick that in the movie Khan claimed to have known him when the episode was done before Chekov became a member of the crew. A sort of explanation was given that Chekov was actually a member of the crew but not the bridge crew at the time but stationed in another part of the ship and Khan just happen to run across him. With his enhanced intelligence he just remembered every face he saw on the Enterprise.

Since like you wasn't around to see TOS in first run, it's hard to know the order of the episodes as far as seasons to say they had a point where they "jumped the shark".