Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2010, 05:25 AM
TOS is a type of series either you love or hate.

For it's time it was a great show. Exactly what NBC wanted. Promised Gene the world, and great time slots....

Seasins 1 and 2...generally depended on the writers and such...Each episode was designed to be self contained, so order doesn't exactly matter...tho the best thing is to not watch in aired order...you run into some inconsistencies.

Season 3 was just different. NBC shafted it by sticking it at the 10pm Friday slot...and essentially pushed Gene out of it. So there were many eps that were just....different. Also the loss of Gene L Coon hurt too...He was a strong force in TOS.

There's TOS wiki out there that will tell you what eps to watch in what order.

It's not the greatest series ever...but it's the beginning, and it was done in the 60s....So..cut it some slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheduwa
Whats wrong with Enterprise?
Depending on who you talk to...will determine the vehemence of the answer.

In truth...what killed Enterprise....was The United Paramount Network being broke....They couldn't afford to give it any more money. It wasn't the Trek fans that killed it. It actually had a fair following.

The biggest reason ENT is looked down upon is...the quality of writing in the first 2 seasons. Season 3 and 4 could have saved the show, but with UPN being broke....It just wasn't meant to be.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
To be fair, they were in a relatively unexplored quadrant of space. Given the density of known species in the Alpha Quadrant, it makes sense that there'd be a similar density of unknown species in the Delta Quadrant.

The very premise of the show sort of implies they're gonna meet some new people. Every week might be excessive, but I think it makes sense.
Having a new alien every week give the audience prejudice and gives the writers the ability to "wipe the slate clean" every week.
It was cheap.
Every once in a while they would meet a "vast empire" that would take "weeks" to come across.
Let's say I had to drive across france to get to germany. I first meet a frenchman, and we have a particular issue we have to deal with before I continue on my journey. A solution is created.
Somehow, I never ever have another issue, or the french never ever have a problem the ENTIRE rest of my journey?
REALLY? In that initial encouter I solved it all?
Cheap writing, I am telling you.

And to make the show more chracter driven, lose the friggin' ship for an extented period of time.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2010, 05:46 AM
So much was bad about Enterprise.
1) Why "enterprise"? WHY ANOTHER SHIP CALLED ENTERPRISE??
2) A new alien every week that we have never seen before?
3) The "technological problems" they promised lasted a few episode
4) Broke canon for better episodes
5) One episode dealt with the romulans even if a war was fortold durign that time period? That could have been half the show!
6) Not enough klingon/coinflict episodes. They are neighbors with low warp ships.

Needed more "wild west"- like environment.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2010, 05:58 AM
THREAD HIJACK!!!!

This was about TOS...not ENT>.....hehehehe
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
THREAD HIJACK!!!!

This was about TOS...not ENT>.....hehehehe
I'll have you know, sir, my father was a thread hijacker! The best of the best! So cease your badmouthing before I sic Daevan on you!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Quote:
I'll have you know, sir, my father was a thread hijacker! The best of the best! So cease your badmouthing before I sic Daevan on you!
I have no problems with Thread Hijackers....In fact...I am one too. I was just saying this thread was hijacked...and it was about TOS originally.

And no Daevan doesn't scare me.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
The Daevan did the what now?

But nah, more on-topic... TOS was very hit-or-miss to me. I guess it caught on for much the same reason Star Wars did. At the time, there was really nothing else like it.

Quote:
I have no problems with Thread Hijackers....In fact...I am one too. I was just saying this thread was hijacked...and it was about TOS originally.

And no Daevan doesn't scare me.
Oh, you poor, poor fool. :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevan
The Daevan did the what now?

But nah, more on-topic... TOS was very hit-or-miss to me. I guess it caught on for much the same reason Star Wars did. At the time, there was really nothing else like it.

Oh, you poor, poor fool. :p
Yer from Bama...I know people from Bama...Nothing worth while has ever come from there.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Yer from Bama...I know people from Bama...Nothing worth while has ever come from there.
Born and raised here, unfortunately. I'll agree with ya, though. Other than some beautiful scenery, nothing of value is in Alabama.

The biggest attraction in my city is a Wal-Mart, for C'thulu's sake.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-22-2010, 06:47 AM
I allow thread hijacking, my question was already answered, so have at it.

I never really saw much of ENT to judge, but from what I know it's just wasted effort. In ST canon there is so much already covered about that time in history that could've made for much of the show. But most of it was cast aside in favor of the "alien of the week" setup. Nobody has the BALLS to try something new, afraid to upset the fans.

And honestly, if the majority of trek fans weren't such whiny *****es about every little thing, they might get something interesting once in a while. But trek fans like their canon set in stone, so nobody is allowed to try something adventurous.