Lt. Commander
# 1 Where are the patches?
02-22-2010, 10:04 AM
I know the game was just released, so bugs and glitches are expected, but what I'm wondering is where are all the patches? I would expect to see downtime nearly everyday until some of these things are fixed, but I'm only seeing maybe 1-2 patches a week. I do like the times you pick for the patches, but I would like to see more work being done to fix what seems like simple bugs, during off-peak hours.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-22-2010, 10:07 AM
The first week they patched every day, sometimes more then once a day. With each week there's less need for patching as the game becomes more stable. The normal "patch day" is supposed to be Thursdays. Anything else is just fixing a problem which sprung-up along the way.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Nearly everytime the server goes down there is a new patch.. they havent been anouncing them everytime though
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
One patch a week is more than enough. They need time to test every patch or they would create more problems.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Thorsson
I know the game was just released, so bugs and glitches are expected, but what I'm wondering is where are all the patches? I would expect to see downtime nearly everyday until some of these things are fixed, but I'm only seeing maybe 1-2 patches a week. I do like the times you pick for the patches, but I would like to see more work being done to fix what seems like simple bugs, during off-peak hours.
In the first week there were daily or thrice daily patches.

About half that volume in week two, and now it's stablized into 1-3 per week and will likely stay that way. Such is the way of software development--keep in mind you also need time to QA all the releases internally.

Major bugs may break down thus:

Week 1: 500 open bugs
Week 2: Fix 300 low hanging fruit, +30 new ones found/introduced, final 230 open
Week 3: Fix 150 bugs, +30 new ones found/introduced, final 110 open
Week 4: Fix 75 bugs, +30 new ones found/introduced, final 65 open
Week 5: Fix 30, +20, final 55
Week 6: Fix 25, +20, final 50
Week 7: Fix 20, +15, final 45

And so on. You fix as many as you can as you go--in any software--and end up with less critical/harder ones.

Most MMOs--and software--carry a large number of open bugs, and dev time also has to be split between new content and bug repair. Bilzzard at a developer conference last year said in ******** they carry up to 1,500 bugs at any given time. Most MMOs on their known issues pages list a dozen or dozens of items at any time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I think the devs said that they intend for a patch this week, although what it will contain is unknown.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
You mean the one just a few days ago? Before that thing called the weeked?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-22-2010, 10:37 AM
There was I believe a thursday and friday patch just this last week, so the patches are definitely coming.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2010, 11:24 AM
This is the second time in as many days I've seen someone make a topic about there NOT being enough downtime for patches...hm.....
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
May the gods forgive me for saying this.....BUT....I am sure people have seen the amount of bug reports there have been. Not much change out of a million i reckon now......roughly that is....i know in OB there were half a mill bug reports. Now here is the thing. Cryptic had maybe about 150 employees......possibly a bit more now but still it won't be a massive number. Now knock off the upper management so that's what maybe 10 right? then you have I dunno cleaners, mail room staff, accounts, blah blah blah I guess maybe you could get down to devs being about what 50-60. Then you split that between CO and STO so maybe 30 on STO?

30 people to go through at least 3/4 of a million reports upwards.

and lets not forget they NEED more content ASAP.

I really do not see how 1 or 2 patches a week would be enough. Of course that is all mostly estimation as of course i don't have the exact numbers and probably won't be able to. BUT even if they had 200 or 300 members of staff. it's still an impossibly large amount of reports to get through

Long and short of it is. I would not mind if they had daily patches. I just want it all sorted as fast as possible so they can get on with bringing us the content that is sorely needed right now.