Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbleskin View Post
say they take the game down 2 months and freeze everyone's account till then, I wouldent mind if i knew they were doing somthing like this

I cant help but feel this is the way the game was ment to be
In two months they would lose 2/3 of their playerbase and income. Of that, only half may return.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicpotboy View Post
Two words: server stability.
We have issues NOW, with instancing. If everyone who was in Earth Spacedock (or Sol System, or DS9) was in the same instance, lag would be rampant (which it already is; it would be even WORSE).
No, it'd be perfectly lag free, because the servers would crash. Not even WoW servers could handle all of STOs people at once in Sol. Servers would be up for 10-15 seconds here and there when people log in, then they'd go down from the mass amount of people. That and if it was one zone, the collision detection would make movement IMPOSSIBLE on the station. Zone down, and boom, your trapped like a rat.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
In two months they would lose 2/3 of their playerbase and income. Of that, only half may return.
This. The changes you are suggesting would kill the game entirely. Id rather have a game I can play rathere than that one.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
could always just instance the big citys and star bases, some instancing at the worse places then the rest as i wrote on page one.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
could always just instance the big citys and star bases, some instancing at the worse places then the rest as i wrote on page one.
It would still involve shutting the game down for at least a week or two to make sure it worked, and then there'd be a exidus. No, it's fine the way it is, stop trying to kill the game with your ideas. That, I dont feel like waiting 20 minutes for a group of what evers to spawn to complete a quest, with 23986 other ships around me fighting for the same mob.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2010, 10:54 AM
maybe this isnt the game for me, instancing, no community, crap sector space and everyone seems to be fine with it all, I have supported this game since OB but maybe am a fool
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
What I would like to see is larger instance population limits instead of all one instance. Perhaps on the scale of 100-1000 (min 100, once all instances have 100 then evenly populate until 1000 cap is reached).

This would require turning off player and NPC collision detection, however.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
maybe this isnt the game for me, instancing, no community, crap sector space and everyone seems to be fine with it all, I have supported this game since OB but maybe am a fool
Maybe STO isn't the right game for you. I've tried and left many games over the last decade. There's nothing wrong with a game not being your cup of tea. STO hasn't changed since OB. It's still Instance Shards, still has Instanced missions, and still isn't Open World. And it never will be any of those things. For every person who wants Open World there's another who hates it. It's the same with PvP and many other MMO aspects. That's why there are different MMOs: so that each person can find the one that's the right fit for them.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
I'm sure the game isn't for everyone, but I'd never tell you that you'd need to decide it for yourself. I wouldn't say that everyone is fine with it, a lot of people don't like it but have accepted the fact that its here to stay. Its unrealistic to expect a major overhaul to sector space and such.

In my opinion the best we could hope for is additional areas added later on with more of a sandbox feel to them, a planet with a larger map multiple objectives, NPC's for an actual live planet feel may be a pipe dream but is at least feasible some point down the road, but for existing systems we are unfortunately stuck with what we have.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
they say it cant be done, we will never know becease we have all given up before we even tryed