Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
can't find his user profile or any of his posts. Can someone point me to where I can find one of his posts or to his profile?

has he left STO?
I would think he is just busy, as are most of their team.

They have a lot of work to do, they know it. Once they get to a point where they can catch their breath, we might see a bit more communication.

To some of the other in this thread: Mocking them won't bring them out of hiding, nor will name calling. Also, just because they don't post doesn't mean our ideas are not listened to and brought to the attention of the proper teams.

Time will tell how much they listen to us. If in time you feel like you are not being listened to, then feel free to go someplace else that you think you will be listened to. The choice is up to you.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
I have to say I don't understand Cryptic's hesitance in wanting to have discussions with the community
They should learn from Funcom's mistakes.

This is what crippled Age of Conan.

*** is now one of the best MMOs on the market especially for PvP but most people would never know it.

It won most improved MMO of 2009 mainly because of Craig Morrison who started turning the product around at the start of the year.

However *** was garbage from release to about 6 months after launch.

The bad press was so bad for so long Funcom can do nothing to get close to the numbers they had during the summer of 2008.

I am confident that Cryptic can make this game really good.

They need to read some of the player suggestions, offer weekly discussions regarding bugs / issues / feedback, at least once a month announce a date when they'll be discussing up and coming content or major improvements to the game.

Star Trek Online needs to have a little more sandbox element to it and a lot less theme park for longevity.

Cryptic can only do so much theme park content a year and players will burn through it fast then get bored.

Cryptic is not known for Sandbox MMOs. In fact this game in many aspects mimics City of Heroes.

Maps HAVE to be bigger then 50x50 on the ground and allow for some real exploring / discoveries.

PvE sandbox elements are key to this game even if it's in small doses spread over the course of a year.

PvP balance issues need to be addressed especially the more obvious ones such as Feedback Pulse, SubNuc Beam, etc.

Most players don't necessarily care to wait it out. Some might unsub for the month then resub back later.

But not actively talking on the forums regularly or communicating with the players is a big mistake.

People are already getting ****ed and screaming quit every other thread.

I like the game and I wouldn't call myself a Trekkie or a fanboi.

I couldn't get myself to watch TnG as a kid until season 4 (but then I loved it).

I found most DS9 episodes rather boring.

I never watched voyager really.

Even though I liked Enterprise I only watched a few episodes of it when I had time.

I did like the original Star Trek reruns and movies however.

Bottomline - Start talking Cryptic or you will end up like Funcom.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedisp View Post
Quite simple. It's their business model. We are not nor shall we likely ever be a priority. The Feds get listened to we do not. Look at all the content the Feds got. Look at the requests that were almost immediately said yes to. When's the last time they did something for thr Klingons that was a fix exclusive for Klingons that actually mattered? How many nerf calls has Cryptic listened to from us? How many from the Feds?

Companies are many things stupid is not one of them. Consumers need to realize this. It's not that they are baffled by the idea that they should ask their customers what they want as a side dish. It's that they don't have to. They know the majority might hate beans but they'll go and keep on throwing money at the chef to eat them just as long as the manager comes out every few months and assures you that you are a valued customer and they are listening to your ideas.

Cryptic knows exactly what they are doing. It's worked since we invented currency and it will work till the Second Coming.
I don't particularly believe that, or at least, I don't believe it's smart.

So (to abuse the analogy), the bean chef now has a patronage of people who like beans. A small minority of his customers are telling him how much money he could make by branching out into, say, burgers. "Ah well, they're such a minority of our customers, there's just no reason to listen to them." So they keep focused on beans and remain as a small time bean-selling business, never realizing that the minority of burger lovers actually represented millions of potential customers -- an actual majority who simply never walked in the doors to begin with because the beans didn't interest them.

Cryptic has a small audience of people who basically enjoy repetitive PvE that doesn't require much thinking and has no endgame. That's been the Cryptic model from their very first game. They have a small patronage of people who like that type of game but they're completely losing the majority of gamers in the world who are looking for something more.

It's not smart.

It is, in fact, dumb.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sea...earchid=158183

That's his profile.

So he'll probably be around during March to assure us he totally plays Klingon and Klingon content is TOTALLY on the way. Then he'll do the same thing in April....then May repeat as necessary until server shuts down or he leaves Cryptic.
That's not Jackalopes profile or a post he made.

SOMEONE, ANYONE??? If I had a single one of his posts I could easily get to his profile.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Was it Jackalope who got moved back to the CO forums last month?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
That's not Jackalopes profile or a post he made.

SOMEONE, ANYONE??? If I had a single one of his posts I could easily get to his profile.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/member.php?u=1526

He's still around.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Jackalope doesn't post on the forums much. Generally you'll see him every 10 or 11 days, where he'll make a couple of quick posts and then disappear. Today was one of those days, he pretty much hung around the STO discussion forums.

I'm betting he'll post again on the 3rd or 4th of March.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaboy View Post
They should learn from Funcom's mistakes.

This is what crippled Age of Conan.

*** is now one of the best MMOs on the market especially for PvP but most people would never know it.

It won most improved MMO of 2009 mainly because of Craig Morrison who started turning the product around at the start of the year.

However *** was garbage from release to about 6 months after launch.

The bad press was so bad for so long Funcom can do nothing to get close to the numbers they had during the summer of 2008.

dude age of conan still sucks. they have server disconnects every 15 minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Quite simple. It's their business model. We are not nor shall we likely ever be a priority. The Feds get listened to we do not. Look at all the content the Feds got. Look at the requests that were almost immediately said yes to. When's the last time they did something for thr Klingons that was a fix exclusive for Klingons that actually mattered? How many nerf calls has Cryptic listened to from us? How many from the Feds?

Companies are many things stupid is not one of them. Consumers need to realize this. It's not that they are baffled by the idea that they should ask their customers what they want as a side dish. It's that they don't have to. They know the majority might hate beans but they'll go and keep on throwing money at the chef to eat them just as long as the manager comes out every few months and assures you that you are a valued customer and they are listening to your ideas.

Cryptic knows exactly what they are doing. It's worked since we invented currency and it will work till the Second Coming.
They absolutely don't know what they're doing if their business model doesn't include fleshing out the Klingons as much as the Federation. Instead they gimped us before the game was even released by advertising we'd be all about PvP and have no content other than that geared toward PvP.

Klingons are the second most popular race in Star Trek, and with mmo gamers clearly showing the propensity to want to play the "anti-hero"/darker side these days, they could have easily had almost as many players going Klingon as Federation.

Cryptic so far hasn't given the Klingon faction a fricken chance. Granted they sure look like they figured that the Klingons would be low pop, and then set out to make themselves look like they were right.

I'd say without a shadow of doubt in my mind that when people talk about the list of blunders Cryptic made when the dust settles, dropping the ball in regards to the Klingon faction will be at or near the top of the list.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
They absolutely don't know what they're doing if their business model doesn't include fleshing out the Klingons as much as the Federation. Instead they gimped us before the game was even released by advertising we'd be all about PvP and have no content other than that geared toward PvP.

Klingons are the second most popular race in Star Trek, and with mmo gamers clearly showing the propensity to want to play the "anti-hero"/darker side these days, they could have easily had almost as many players going Klingon as Federation.

Cryptic so far hasn't given the Klingon faction a fricken chance. Granted they sure look like they figured that the Klingons would be low pop, and then set out to make themselves look like they were right.

I'd say without a shadow of doubt in my mind that when people talk about the list of blunders Cryptic made when the dust settles, dropping the ball in regards to the Klingon faction will be at or near the top of the list.
Did you shell out money to buy the game? Are you paying a monthly fee to continue playing? If you are mission accomplished.

Quote:
Ah well, they're such a minority of our customers, there's just no reason to listen to them."
Of course it's not that it's that it isn't profitable to listen to us. I find it an incredible act of hubris to assume you know more than the team of people they have dedicated to knowing how to raise their bottom line. Changes cost money. And until the money they lose by not fixing things is greater than the cost of fixing things they'll keep content to a trickle.

So hey they don't sell burgers but most people will keep on paying the restaurant to sell them beans. Then they'll complain that the restaurant doesn't sell burgers while still chucking money at them.

Want change? Vote with your dollar. Want to maintain the status quo? Keep buying beans.