Lt. Commander
# 21
02-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
Sidenote: Picard called the Scimitar (Reman Warbird) a "Predator"
Note: That was just a comment to the fact that the ship was armed to the teeth. It's a hunter, a predator, a killer. It's made for war.

It's like when someone says their girlfriend is a tiger. They don't actually mean that she is a real tiger. It's a metaphor.

Lt. Commander
# 22
02-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Its only confusing because both sides have BoPs but Klingons are the ones famous for the Bird of Prey (thanks to the TOS movies) and Romulans are more famous for their Warbirds (thanks to TNG/DS9)

On another note, ever notice how the wings of both Klingon and Romulan ships have a very 'feathered' motif despite their difference in design culture species etc?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
No, the smaller Romulan ships were always called Birds of Prey. Klingon Birds of Prey didn't show up until The Search for Spock, and were so-named because of lazy writing.
Romulans and Klingons have shared technology throughout history,
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugen4 View Post
I cant remember where I read it, and I can't even find it on Memory Alpha...

But it goes about how Romulans way back in the day were toying around with a cloaking device for a ship. When the Klingons got ahold of this information, they were able to steal/trade a ship from the Romulans.

Through reverse engineering, the Klingons were then able to make fleets of Bird-of-Prey's of the same design, and the name was just kept the same (different classifications, of course).

Whether that's true or not, its a liable back story =P
Actually if I recall the canon correctly, it was done at a stage when there was a brief alliance between the two races. Klingons gave the Romulans D-7's to reverse engineer the technology to be incorporated into new ships that were to be used by both parties. In exchange the Romulans built the next generation of the Bird of Pray that included cloaking devices, sharing the ship design with the Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryan
Actually if I recall the canon correctly, it was done at a stage when there was a brief alliance between the two races. Klingons gave the Romulans D-7's to reverse engineer the technology to be incorporated into new ships that were to be used by both parties. In exchange the Romulans built the next generation of the Bird of Pray that included cloaking devices, sharing the ship design with the Klingons.
And then it all went south and they have been shooting each-other ever since

On a similar note, I wonder sometimes what a perfectly jointly developed Klingon/Romulan ship would look like.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Remember the big "Technology Trade" that the Romulans and Klingons engaged in (to explain the fact that Desilu lost the Romulan ship model)

Essentially, the Romulans traded the secrets of the cloaking device to the Klingons, in exchange for advanced ship designs with Warp Drive. If you recall, in the Romulan's first appearance, their ship was strictly sublight.

Quite possibly, the first few classes of ship were named Bird of Prey on the Klingon side, as a thank-you to the Romulans for the cloaks.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodElf View Post
Remember the big "Technology Trade" that the Romulans and Klingons engaged in (to explain the fact that Desilu lost the Romulan ship model)
It's worse than that. He didn't lose it or misplace it. It got stepped on.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_bitters
Desilu isn't a who.

It's a what.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixzion View Post
I know it's somewhat silly. But I wanted to make sure I was wrong. lol

I was hoping there wasn't a slip like that IG...that would be rather ametuer of them.
I'm a 20 something. So most of my Trek knowledge comes from the movies and TNG onward. I've only seen the old TOS Balance of Terror like once. (Though i remember it was damned good)
For me, every "Bird of Prey" has been a Klingon ship because of that. They never really refer to them as a Bird of Prey later on when it comes to the Romulans. Hell Star Trek 6 even has a whole discussion about a "Bird of Prey" that can fire while cloaked. They never make any distinction that it's klingon or could even be romulan at all...

Alas. Shoddy writing I guess, but that's what happens when your franchise spans 50 years.

Thanks for the clarification!
A link for you: Romulan ships from all eras:

Romulan ships from all eras, including why the in-game Bird of Prey is a anachronism

Alsao, the D'deridex was called a "B-Type Warbird" in TNG: "The Defector" - so the D'deridex as a Warbird is canon and official. The BoPs are smaller ships, about like a destroyer or scout.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_bitters
Proof please, haven't heard that one. A link would be nice.

ALSO: The theory that Romulans didn't have warp drive was thouroughly debunked in ST:ENT. The Romulan BoP in ST:TOS had a cloaking device that drew so much power that the ship could ONLY move at impulse speeds (reference: script of "Balance of Terror"), and only uncloaked to fire, as they knew that the Enterprise could nail them handily if they decloaked to warp. Why? Power levels had to recover to enable warp drive, during that time the ship would be defenseless.

Remember, that episode was based on submarine warfare - with the cloaking device substituting for depth, the BoP being a submarine, anfd the Enterprise being the ship hunting it down. To move at full speed, they would have had to "surface" to enable the diesel engines - and that would have been suicide.

So, that's a bit off.