Lt. Commander
# 31
02-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
ST XI: introduced Klingon D-7 or K'Tinga Cruisers
It would be neither. The D-7 is the classic TOS Klingon ship. The K'tinga The earilest reference to the K'tinga class battleship is TMP. The TNG "updated" version is the Klingon Bird of Prey with an elongated oval bridge section rather than the round bridge design.

This is the TNG+ Klingon Bird of Prey. It has also been cited as a D12, K'vort, and B'rel class warship.

Here is some info on the K'tinga class ship.

And just for fun, here is the D-7. As you can see from the pictures, it is most definitely TOS era.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Proof please, haven't heard that one. A link would be nice.
Let me see what I can find. I read it some time ago in a memoir sort of thing, so I'm not sure if I can cite it to any satisfactory standard. Give me a chance, though, because I'd like to.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
Desilu isn't a who.

It's a what.
That's what I get for lazy writing. I knew that, I swear. /sheepishgrin
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Proof please, haven't heard that one. A link would be nice..
Just to update: The Wikipedia entry for Romulan starships states that there was a fire in the NBC warehouse that destroyed the model. Link to entry
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Bridge keeper: "What is the warp speed velocity of an unlaiden bird of prey?"

King Arthur: "What do you mean? Romulan or Klingon?"

Lt. Commander
# 36
02-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Wow. Not what I expected when I checked in today!

Thanks for the info guys!
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_bitters
Just to update: The Wikipedia entry for Romulan starships states that there was a fire in the NBC warehouse that destroyed the model. Link to entry
Looked through that entry on Wikipedia, didn't see the references (which would have made no sense anyway, NBC's in-house production studios had nothing to do with Star Trek, which was produced at a independent atudio. Desilu later was merged wtih Paramount/CBS).

Memory Alpha has this to say on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory Alpha WIKI
It was rumored the original Romulan Bird of Prey studio model was later damaged or destroyed, causing the D7 class to be used in its place in "The Enterprise Incident"). (The Star Trek Compendium) Actually, the Klingon ship was used because it had only recently been built and the producers were determined to get their money's worth out of it. The whereabouts of the original Bird of Prey are currently unknown.
The site I normally use, Ex Astris Scientica, has nothign to say at all on the subject.

Sounds like there's still a lot of confusion about the ultimate fate of the model. For the remastered TOS, a CGI model was made at ILM that had a bit more surface detail. that same model was reverse-engineered into the Romulan scenes in TOS-R:The Enterprise Inceident".
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Looked through that entry on Wikipedia, didn't see the references (which would have made no sense anyway, NBC's in-house production studios had nothing to do with Star Trek, which was produced at a independent atudio. Desilu later was merged wtih Paramount/CBS).

Memory Alpha has this to say on the subject:

The site I normally use, Ex Astris Scientica, has nothign to say at all on the subject.

Sounds like there's still a lot of confusion about the ultimate fate of the model. For the remastered TOS, a CGI model was made at ILM that had a bit more surface detail. that same model was reverse-engineered into the Romulan scenes in TOS-R:The Enterprise Inceident".
Please, allow me to add to the confusion:

According to Absolute Astronomy, the model maker smashed it to bits with a sledge hammer in his backyard over payment issues.

"In a fit of anger, Wah took the model into his back yard, and proceeded to bash it to bits with a sledge hammer."

Source link.

It seems there are lots of different stories, and it seems we'll never really know what happened.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Look under 1.1.4 Klingon D-7 battlecruiser It's the second line, in parentheses.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixzion View Post
Wow. Not what I expected when I checked in today!

Thanks for the info guys!
Never, ever ask geeks a question unless you are prepared to far too much information that is only related via long, bickering tangents. Hopefully your question has been answered.