Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
1. Use the terrain

Seeking a high ground position when launching an attack on a squadron of enemies is beneficial. I find a good ridge makes an excellent cover. All you have to do is take one or two steps back and you're out of their line of fire.

Corridors can be death traps but positioning yourself at a doorway can afford you a quick cover by rolling to the left or right into the doorway. (the B key or a double tap of one of your direction keys should do it) Klingon and Gorn will try to close in and if your engineer has placed mines or a graviton well this will be where they die.

In cities (or towns) I use the spaces in between the building for a quick escape when I pull too much aggro or when they realize that I'm the commanding officer and everyone turns their phasers on me. Having one of the enemies follow me around the corner for some alone time (a little bit of hand to hand)... priceless

If none of these situations presents itself find something to stand next to so you can prevent being outflanked or try to draw all of the enemies into a kill circle (nobody gets out alive)

2. Use the Y key (crew attack my target) or Focus Fire

Officers and bosses. I start every ground engagement by picking the strongest opponent in a squad and having all my men take him down. I have found that the highest officer in an enemy squad will always choose to fight the other teams leader (me). I take him down first. He usually has monster shields and requires focused fire to down him.

Targ masters in Klingon encounters can spawn those creatures until you're blue in the face. Take him down. The targ don't do a lot of damage but can be annoying and he can have a seemingly endless supply.

Swordmasters are a special case and that batleth can take you out fast if he starts swinging it back and forth. Stun him quickly as soon as he run at you and focus fire on him while staying out of his kill radius, (even if you haven't killed the Officers or the Targ master). This guy is a priority once he targets you.

Doctors. are a particular problem because they replenish their shields and heal themselves. Unlike most mmo battles I save the healers for last in STO. Because you can focus on them and get owned by everyone else while they keep replenishing their shields and healing themselves.

3. Expose and Exploit (Use the G key)

I equip all of my Bridge Officers with stun pistols or other expose weapons and I carry an exploit weapon. I try not to miss an opportunity to disintegrate an enemy when they are exposed. I only have one weapon and use martial arts on my other weapon tray.

In some encounters I stay passive until the first expose chance and then fry him. Then when the other enemies make a run at me I back up until they run past my men and catch them in the crossfire. Outflanking the whole squad.

4. Talents

I roll with two tactical and one each of engineer and science officers and none of them have personal shields.

I have one tact officer with hand to hand she has Lunge and Leg sweep (her own set of expose and exploit) My other tact officer has grenades and focus fire (the best way to take an enemy down quickly besides disintegration) When I'm not ordering everyone to attack my target, he is.

My engineer has Mines and a Graviton Well. Outstanding against rushing enemies. Another reason why I like to wait to reveal myself when fighting out in the open to give her a chance to throw her mines and set her trap slowing down the advancing swordmaster to a comical crawl allowing us to take him down.

My science officer is our medic and has medical tricorder and one of the hypospray talents. (I recently hit Commander and now she has another hypospray talent that I guess will help keep me alive if she ever gets around to me... MEDIC!)

5. Respawn

When I first removed my shields I died a lot and discovered that as long as I respawn before my last man dies I can get back in the fight pretty quickly and my enemies don't rez. I'm not sure how this works but I hit the help button and sometimes get brought back in the middle of the ----storm with already low health (remember no shields) and run for cover, reassess the situation and then jump back in the fight but when they can't get to me, a quick respawn brings me back but not the enemies. They stay dead.

6. Keep your head down and don't stay in one place

As the captain you're a high quality target. When I had my personal shields I could stand in the center of the room and take all the damage in the world just as long as I didn't pull the whole enemy squadron I could easily survive but now I have to find a crate to stand behind or crouch to make myself a smaller target.

Last night, in a boss battle, I made a boss chase me around a large conference table and then jumped on top of it and when he jumped up, I jumped off leaving him a wide open target standing on a table. So my men encircled and took him down. It was awesome.

Earlier I had reached the final component for a retrieval mission and it was guarded by three shielded officers. I set my crew to attack. Used my newly acquired stealth kit. Went around them and beamed the piece up to my ship without firing a shot and then beamed out with my team leaving the bad guys holding their johnsons. That was cool too.

Love this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
If anyone is having problems with too much aggro too soon. the quickest way to alleviate this is to order your team to attack before you fire a shot. If your Tactical Team skill is maxed your crew should fan out and find cover before they fire a shot because without shields the Bridge Officers AI takes cover and attacks from there.

So when you first implement this style of play you need to work as a team along with your men and wait for them to take position before beginning to attack . It will spread the aggro so that you can deal with one enemy at a time.

And remember the best job for your character is making the kill shot because as the captain you are a high quality target.

It can be frustrating at first but once your crew is sufficiently re-talented. They should perform admirably. And combat goes back to being almost as easy as it was before just with more strategy involved.
Lt. Commander
You couldn't play without your precious shield.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2010, 02:42 AM
1. point: play medic
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temiel
1. point: play medic
Or don't.

I'm sorry did you have a point or were you just being cryptic?

Oh look I made a pun.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Honestly, man, playing without the shields isn't doing much for ground combat. Yeah, there's a higher element of challenge involved because you die more, but the problem with overly drawn-out firefights still remains. I decided a long time ago that I didn't like the whole "SPARTAN-II" idea in Star Trek, so I scrapped my shields right off the bat. I'm using the terrain, I'm spamming my medical tricorder, I'm strafing in firefights like my character's in f'ing Kandahar, and this still does *nothing* to alleviate the fact that putting an enemy down takes TOO DAMN LONG.

Simply put, the weapons in this game need a better rate of fire. They don't need to screw with damage, or shields, or hitpoints, or even AI -- they just need to make the guns fire faster.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandianHero View Post
Honestly, man, playing without the shields isn't doing much for ground combat. Yeah, there's a higher element of challenge involved because you die more, but the problem with overly drawn-out firefights still remains. I decided a long time ago that I didn't like the whole "SPARTAN-II" idea in Star Trek, so I scrapped my shields right off the bat. I'm using the terrain, I'm spamming my medical tricorder, I'm strafing in firefights like my character's in f'ing Kandahar, and this still does *nothing* to alleviate the fact that putting an enemy down takes TOO DAMN LONG.

Simply put, the weapons in this game need a better rate of fire. They don't need to screw with damage, or shields, or hitpoints, or even AI -- they just need to make the guns fire faster.
You got my attention.

But mostly because you started by scrapping the shields.

Next... the quickest way to "down" an enemy is with a properly timed disintegration. Give your BO expose weapons and carry an Exploit bad boy yourself. When you see that rotating target Press G and let him have your number 2 setting. Expose and exploit.

Also if you can make sure that all officers are firing at each target then they go down faster. Focus fire or just press the Y key.

But if you are trying to take down a guy all by your lonesome, put the kettle on because it's gonna be awhile.

I love this game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterrook
But if you are trying to take down a guy all by your lonesome, put the kettle on because it's gonna be awhile.
Therein lies the problem. I *should* be able to drop enemies myself without being able to do my laundry in the process. Believe me, I've scoured the net looking for the quickest, easiest way to drop foes, and I've essentially ended up having to do what you described. But the thing is, that's all well and good for WoW, but I expect a little more from Star Trek. Ideally, I'd like to see fast-paced, deadly combat where my medic is *essential* for team survival. As it stands, even while playing the ground game the way you're "supposed to", things take way longer than they should.