Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
Very Rare Human BO's are being priced at astronomical prices. And they are selling. Is Shield repair at 15% working on these guys or what is going on.

I guarantee that the player community has figured out something and priced it into consideratio because otherwise these guys are not worth 100 X as much as Very Rare Vulcans.

Anybody know why VR Human BO's are the highest priced items on the exchange?

Happy Prosperity All,

Bugshu
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Because aliens and their Jedi co-conspirators... wait wrong Star universe.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Because of the anoying people who inflate markets in all MMOs...those so called "players on the market".
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Just to spite those idiots who price BO's that high on the auction house, I'll let you in on a secret. You get free ones at higher levels. I think captain 9 or 10 gives you your first very rare bridge officer and admiral rank gives them exclusively.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Heh possibly because human BOs seem to be so damned rare. I mean, when I look back on my rewards, over 90 percent of my BO rewards consisted of Vulcans, Betazoids, Saurians, Aliens and more recently Ferengi. I did not pick up ANY human BOs, and I think I only had an option once of picking a human blue BO (gave me the choice of 3, Human was tactical, I needed a science officer which was Betazoid). I swear, my last 3 BO rewards were all ferengi.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-19-2010, 03:13 AM
They're so expensive simply because some idiot out there with way too much energy is actually buying them. It's that simple. They're not significantly, over the top better than a blue rare. You might have to pay around a whopping 10,000 for a 'mere' blue rare human though, horror! Personally at around Lt Commander 5 I go on the exchange and trawl through the exchange buying rare bridge officers with traits I want for 300-1000, and they stay with me forever.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-19-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losobal
Heh possibly because human BOs seem to be so damned rare. I mean, when I look back on my rewards, over 90 percent of my BO rewards consisted of Vulcans, Betazoids, Saurians, Aliens and more recently Ferengi. I did not pick up ANY human BOs, and I think I only had an option once of picking a human blue BO (gave me the choice of 3, Human was tactical, I needed a science officer which was Betazoid). I swear, my last 3 BO rewards were all ferengi.
Well having aliens that are my task boys is only natural...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
Because of the anoying people who inflate markets in all MMOs...those so called "players on the market".
Would these be the ones who hang around the exchange all day and buy any reasonably priced item the second it appears, then repost it a few seconds later at a grossly inflated price?

It is my pleasure when I shop to ninja these people repeatedly whenever possible. There is something perversely gratifying about buying a Mk V phaser array for 1,500 EC knowing that there is some shark out there who also tried to buy it with the express intention of immediately re-selling it for 15,000 EC.

Lt. Commander
# 9
02-19-2010, 06:17 AM
And how do you actually know they are selling?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-19-2010, 06:46 AM
They sell because they're good, although whoever listed all of those officers at 10 million is just an idiot. No one's going to buy them, they'll stay on the exchange forever, and they'll be out a handful of officers.

As to why the prices are high in general, Very Rare officers are the best. You get two Superior traits, and depending on what they are you can get some great combos. Since these are the "best" officers, you can add them to your crew and KNOW they'll never become obsolete; even a Rare will always be second-best. Whether that little bit extra is worth the cost is up to you, but money is plentiful in this game and I expect prices to start skyrocketing in the near future for some items, such as bridge officers and pretty much any rare or very rare Mark X items. (As people reach maximum level, they stop earning new bridge officers, so the supply is limited and demand increases until each person has a crew full of Very Rares.)

Beyond that, there are two basic criteria for selecting officers.
1> Aesthetics. You think it's a coincidence that Ferengi, Bolian, and Klingon officers are the lowest prices on the exchange? No one wants a crew full of them, even if their stats are good. Specifically, look at the hair options for these: none, none, and a token four dreadlock styles. Klingons get some great traits for ground crew, and yet you still see them selling for cheap. (Saurians would be in this group if not for the Efficient trait some of them have.)

2> Traits. Some races (Bajorans, Trill, Betazoids) are just fine aesthetically but have a racial trait like Creative or Cold Resist that people just don't want on their officers. This is also a problem with the Alien (custom race) officers; while they have the most flexibility on traits, many of them end up with Superior Cold Resistance or something, so Aliens with good traits sell for a lot and those with the bad ones can be had fairly cheaply.

So look at humans. They look fine, they fit canon the best (since Starfleet was very Human-heavy), and their two racial traits are both excellent. I'm not surprised they sell for so much.

To top it off, unlike other races, it's easy to tell whether a prospective Human BOff is male or female, if you're trying to assemble a crew to fit a specific RP setup. (I'm doing something similar, except I need a female Alien Science officer, and due to a bug there simply aren't any beyond Common rarity.)