Lt. Commander
I beleve that Fleets should be able to Construct their own starbase in the middle of space, or by a made up planetoid (like in exploration) where the leaders can enter the base, add shops, Shipyards, Customise rooms/items, Even add Defences for Fleet Vs Fleet Action. This would add an awsome aspect of the game you would not normally see in online games. And Unused fleet officers, (ones we dont want/need) can be deposited to wander around the station or defend it if it comes under attack (or used to attack other fleets starbases) for a ground assault in Fleet vs fleet, also it can be used to operate its controls of the starbase and make it work perfectly well. If they implemented this, it would turn this game from being Lame, to OK. At the moment there are alot of problems and I belive things like this can turn the game around.

I would like to see themes, such as "Asteroid Starbase" ,some federation baces, Klingon starbases, cardassian, even a small Planet base that can be upgraded using ALOT of credits, merits, exploration badges so the whole fleet, even thoes not a high level, can contribute.

In more detail i would like to see shops such as Commodities, Weapons, Shipyards where we can create our own ships to defend the starbase. Adding Habitat rings where crews have their own area to deposit their items or display them. With this each starbase can be utterly Unique and independent from eachother.

Some buildings/areas i had in mind were;
Tribble Breading Grounds- allow tribbles to be dropped as kickable items, or allow you to deposit food into a breader to create better tribbles, also allowing people from the fleet to take certan tribbles (if permissions allow it)
Academy- Allows the training of bridge officers and also the ability to shoot small targets, to see how much damage you can do to a target.
Holodeck- Allows Space 1 on 1 PVP or ground 1 on 1 (or Team) PVP

Some Starbase Types
Asteroid Base
Starfleet Starbase
Mothership (non Mobile)
Trade Station (like Treasure)
Planetary Base
(if i think of more ill add them)

Added Extras-

Lets do a comparison of games and see what they do.

Runes of Magic- Guilds can create castles, basic structure that has 3 grades, although the same otherwise. You can place furniture and create farms/Forges ect to get materials.

Eve online: You can place structures such as starbases, turrets, control centers storage ect. following a basic design, non-customable.

STO: No fleet bonus, just a small bank. Nothing customisable and no gathering points.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
And it took EVE "HOW LONG?" to implement such a complex system... not in an instanced universe btw
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 07:57 AM
In EVE you cannot "Walk around" the starbases can you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AelitaStones View Post
In EVE you cannot "Walk around" the starbases can you.
IN STO you can not have "Open world" PVP
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2010, 08:02 AM
It would be a large feature, that said I think this is one of those big suggestions worth pursuing.

I envision something very similar, but I'd speculate that adding a 'module' (I'll call it that for the sake of it) that adds a shop to a Starbase should cost alot, and then some depending on the mk level of gear it supplies.

It might be worth implementing some sort of 'Fleet Merit' system whereby players are earning their fleet 'merit' similar to SF merit every time they do their own missions/PvP/whatever else.

There could be a multiplier in place that increases the fleet merit earned when 2 or more players from a fleet do things together, adding incentive for fleet members to congregate and co-operate.

So it might go something like this;

'Alpha Fleet' is composed of Captains John Joe and James.
They pool the requisite EC (say 500,500) for a small 'outpost' Starbase. Basic fleet bases only cost EC, subsequent upgrades or new bases cost EC and/or Fleet Merit.

Over time they acquire enough fleet merit to upgrade to a Starbase-39 sized base. They get to choose, much the same as ship bridges, from a variety of pre-set interiors appropriate to the size of each base.
(True full customization would be nice but I don't hold expectations for that unless bridge customization appears in the future)

Lets say that over the next little bit they acquire another load of fleet merit. What do they do?
Buy a MK VII gear vendor for their base.

Why is this special?

Lets assume these bases are somehow placed in some way such that anyone can see/access them.
Lets also assume that the Fleet's upper ranking members can change the base's permissions so that they can choose to allow only fleet members of a certain rank, all fleet members, or everyone.

So why is a fleet Starbase vendor special?
Because for every non-fleet member who buys from the vendor the fleet receives a cut of the EC.
Every fleet member buying from the Vendor receives a fair-sized discount.

The only thing I can't quit figure out is where they would put fleet bases.
Exploration clusters? it would require them to get alooooot bigger.....

Help me out here
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2010, 08:03 AM
No chance.
This is not EVE Online nor should it even attempt to go the route of Player owned Station warfare. Not for a REALLY long time at least.

I wouldnt mind a private fleet instanced HQ interior with access to services and upgrade options the fleet can contribute too. The current fleet and grouping system makes fleets redundant thus something to make fleets worth joining would be beneficial.

As it is that kind of stuff is probably going to be in 2 - 3 years along with exploring our own ships.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2010, 08:03 AM
I have a sneaking feeling that when/if fleet starbases get implemented, it'll go similar to the way they put in the supergroup bases in CoH. There will be a fixed location to access your station. Your customization will be performed on interior space, not the exterior. The instancing is the major issue for any "place a starbase anywhere, make it attackable" kind of thing-not to mention that sector space isn't so huge that it wouldn't seem crowded REAL fast.

It wouldn't be a perfect thing (which means there would be a lot of complaints about it on day one, if not sooner), but I don't see it working out in any better way with the way STO is designed. Still, I think interior design (which would include the amenities you'd see in Qo'noS or Earth Spacedock) is very doable. I have a feeling this is going to come behind things like new factions and starship interiors, however.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
So why is a fleet Starbase vendor special?
Because for every non-fleet member who buys from the vendor the fleet receives a cut of the EC.
Every fleet member buying from the Vendor receives a fair-sized discount.

Help me out here
Gladly, Leaders can add and items to the shop and sell them theirselves, they can add stock, in my books this can be better than a boring exchange
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-23-2010, 08:07 AM
In order to have this as a feature, I think the Dev's would have to start/create a open world PvP/Pve sector that is large enough to accomodate it. It would be cool if they did fashion a Deep Space/Wild Space part of STO and let the players create the economy and factions beeded to use it. One step closer to havbinf non-federation proffessions.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-23-2010, 08:07 AM
I think that this done "very" well would be the solution to adding a more star trek feel to the game.
1 - Add fleet starbases in their own instanced sector.
2 - Add opposing faction (klingon) fleet starbase to the same instanced sector.
2.1 - Add more factions.
3 - Add strategic goals PVE/PVP in that sector (resource control, NPC system allegiance).
4 - Allow the goals to be achieved through combat and diplomacy (War is a mere continuation of politics by other means,).
Closed Thread