Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnsm
I think that this done "very" well would be the solution to adding a more star trek feel to the game.
1 - Add fleet starbases in their own instanced sector.
2 - Add opposing faction (klingon) fleet starbase to the same instanced sector.
2.1 - Add more factions.
3 - Add strategic goals PVE/PVP in that sector (resource control, NPC system allegiance).
4 - Allow the goals to be achieved through combat and diplomacy (War is a mere continuation of politics by other means,).
Difficult, but not impossible by far.

There is that huge big space right smack between Fed Klingon and Romulan space....

Its ripe for this sort of thing. That would even open the doors to a potential future Romulan playable faction to get in on the action.

Its been proven that some of the basic stuff needed to do this is possible, anyone remember the end of OB?

Klingons all over Fed space?

I would make one suggestion however; make fleet starbases EXPENSIVE.

We don't want space to just be totally cluttered with them.

It should be a sign of tremendous resources and affluence to have more than one Fleet Starbase.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I was thinking about this after posting in a similar thread, and the biggest difference I see from CoH is that you can access a superbase from just about ANY zone in CoH, via a teleporter portal in each zone. The base itself is in some unspecified location.

I'm not sure how you could do that here without either REALLY breaking immersion, or forcing everyone to return to a specific sector any time they wanted to access the base.

OTOH, that's not much different from having to return to Starbase 001 for certain things.

So you could do it by placing them all in Sol System "somewhere", and if your fleet has a base, then Transwarp would offer you the choice of Starbase 001 or your own HQ. (I'd put them all in Sol System so newbie players don't accidentally end up somewhere that they have no clue how to get back from.)

PS: and, of course, in the starting zone for each other faction, for their fleet bases.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2010, 07:16 AM
I think a fleet starbase/planet would be nice , would not be aimed for pvp more for immersion of your particular fllets hangout place.

granted in COH bases wher added with intent of pvp but it never quite happened, and now they are jsut places to hang out and say its something you built up for your sg, so yes i thikn it would be nice in STO to have a feature to buld a base for your own fleet.

Guess sorta EQ2 houses but for a fleet
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Not that I think OP's ideas are bad, I just think it'll never happen for many reasons...the main being everything is instanced. How many starbases per instance? There could be literally 1000s of instances just for fleet starbases.

There's no open PvP and odds are there never will be because that's not what Cryptic does, so there's no reason to defend anything. If there's more than one starbase per instance, even if there was open PvP, would other starbases be able to help defend the one under attack? What about people in that instance that aren't members of the fleet? Could only members of a fleet defend the base? Given the small number of players per instance, either the sides have to be heavily imbalanced in favor of the attacker, or the starbase has to be unarmed, otherwise an attacker couldn't win unless they did "alarm clock" attacks.

I could probably think of a hundred more ways to rain on OP's parade, but this is not my intent.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Before some player owned station system is even dreamed up... the first step(s) would be...

A) Open PVP space sectors... NOT INSTANCED ARENA'S... these areas could provide simple rewards for venturing into them like Rare anomolies that would compliment the already implemented crafting/gathering (vendor) system.

B) Reduce the amount of servers for instance's... u will need to see player's in space and be able to participate in real time activities that interact with "A" gameworld.

C) A death penalty... whether this incorporates a pvp type SINGLE server implementation could be a solution and would cater for a wider amount of people. The normal servers could be kept. For info on death penalty read THE thread, there are plenty of ideas
If a death penalty is not incorporated, suicide gank fests would just make space/ground combat for flag like objectives STUPID!

D) Some space system that makes space travel and warping systems *Transwarp map.... more intertwined to tactics and realtime game/space mechanics.. I.E. the ship can be stopped without entering a system and the lifeless area of space is accessible, actions performed in this area would affect people flying on the map system.

E) Anchoring objects, creation materials, real economy???

anyway i'm not experienced enough for anymore suggestions than that, need more game time... u can see what i mean though.
Incorporating a system of this type is pretty complex and HUGE... I think cryptic would rather pull the plug then reinvent the wheel.... i.e. server clusters alla eve ... etc
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Difficult, but not impossible by far.

There is that huge big space right smack between Fed Klingon and Romulan space....

Its ripe for this sort of thing. That would even open the doors to a potential future Romulan playable faction to get in on the action.

Its been proven that some of the basic stuff needed to do this is possible, anyone remember the end of OB?
Without any knowledge of the engine in use (other than playing the game) I don't see anything in the suggestions that would be a technical stretch for an engine based around instancing. The problems i do see is only a question of developing content for these "fleet sectors".
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexs
Before some player owned station system is even dreamed up... the first step(s) would be...

A) Open PVP space sectors... NOT INSTANCED ARENA'S... these areas could provide simple rewards for venturing into them like Rare anomolies that would compliment the already implemented crafting/gathering (vendor) system.

B) Reduce the amount of servers for instance's... u will need to see player's in space and be able to participate in real time activities that interact with "A" gameworld.

C) A death penalty... whether this incorporates a pvp type SINGLE server implementation could be a solution and would cater for a wider amount of people. The normal servers could be kept. For info on death penalty read THE thread, there are plenty of ideas
If a death penalty is not incorporated, suicide gank fests would just make space/ground combat for flag like objectives STUPID!

D) Some space system that makes space travel and warping systems *Transwarp map.... more intertwined to tactics and realtime game/space mechanics.. I.E. the ship can be stopped without entering a system and the lifeless area of space is accessible, actions performed in this area would affect people flying on the map system.

E) Anchoring objects, creation materials, real economy???

anyway i'm not experienced enough for anymore suggestions than that, need more game time... u can see what i mean though.
Incorporating a system of this type is pretty complex and HUGE... I think cryptic would rather pull the plug then reinvent the wheel.... i.e. server clusters alla eve ... etc
Good points, all of them.
Let me just add;

A; We know this one is more or less possible, they just need to have enough hardware to make 'wild space' non-instanced or with very very few instances that support many many players.

C; At the very very least Death penalty in 'wild space' should kick you back to a 'safe zone' thus removing you from whatever strategic action is in progress. (say a fleet vs fleet battle)

D; For starters just set it up so that when two enemy players meet in wild-space that its like hitting a deep space encounter, you get sucked into a 'deep space encounter' sort of thing.
Anyone else who happens along can see the 'battle contact' and join in.

If its within a certain distance of a system where a battle is not taking place then no one can enter the system until the battle is over, and must instead join the battle.

If the encounter happens near a system with a battle in progress inside, then the players get added to that battle instead.

E; Anchoring fleet made bases would be an absolute necessity.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2010, 07:36 AM
pretty sure we're getting fleet starbases @ somepoint, most likely they'll impliment it much the way Guild Wars did the guild halls - since that was also an instanced game..... I.E. a fixed location that you can choose from several different ones. each one having a unique PvP area where you could invite other fleets to come PvP with you - but not much more.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmouseX View Post
pretty sure we're getting fleet starbases @ somepoint, most likely they'll impliment it much the way Guild Wars did the guild halls - since that was also an instanced game..... I.E. a fixed location that you can choose from several different ones. each one having a unique PvP area where you could invite other fleets to come PvP with you - but not much more.
I'm also of this opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Considering who makes STO, and what other products they've made...

Trying to say "STO should look more like EVE" is a waste of time. Not to mention, if you like EVE so much, then head back on over there and play.

That's where you'll find "Open PvP" and "Death Penalties" in such abundance you'll never know what to do with yourself.

<-- STO

EVE -->

But for those who have played CoX, you'll realize that -if- Fleet Starbases are implemented, it'll be an instance you enter and decorate the interior. They could potentially create a generic exterior instance for ship-to-ship combat, but I don't think that would lead to Starbase destruction. Only that once the attacker gets sufficient kills and destroy the defense turrets, they can start beaming in, which would lead to ground combat inside the decorated instance.
Closed Thread