Lt. Commander
# 21
02-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Fleet Starbase Space is something I'm looking forward to, when it's implemented. I'm guessing that it will be presented in a similar way as Super Group Bases in CoX; a series of rooms or an entire deck aboard a starbase that Fleets can customize as they like. I do not see it being something as extravigant as having a "fleet office" anyone can visit (I see them as invite only, like Bridges) or as massive as your own Fleet Starbase.

Look at the current Starbase distribution. With the exception of Sirius Sector Block, there's only one Star Base per sector, if any at all. Why would one Sectory Block suddenly warrant thousands (yes, thousands) of Starbases? Logically, it would be a better use of Starfleet's resources to make a couple starbases, and spend the rest on more ships to acutally go out and fight.

Now, maybe they could do fleet outposts, a small starbase that fleets could create and maintain somewhere in space. I still don't see them being used in Fleet Engagements without the implementation of a larger "Fleet Combat Zone". It would be tricky to set up something like that in an instanced game.

So, to conclude, I think we'll be getting "Fleet Offices" or "Fleet Outposts", and if the fleet has the players and resources, maybe those fleets can be upgraded to full Starbases.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-23-2010, 07:56 AM
As long as the fleet base would be in their own instanced sectors, I would have no problem with it. However, I would be very much against it I had to slalom around a gazillion of fleet starbases in public sectors.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Personnally I'd prefer a Fleet flagship, with customisable interiors more than Starbase.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AelitaStones View Post
I beleve that Fleets should be able to Construct their own starbase in the middle of space, or by a made up planetoid (like in exploration) where the leaders can enter the base, add shops, Shipyards, Customise rooms/items, Even add Defences for Fleet Vs Fleet Action. This would add an awsome aspect of the game you would not normally see in online games. And Unused fleet officers, (ones we dont want/need) can be deposited to wander around the station or defend it if it comes under attack (or used to attack other fleets starbases) for a ground assault in Fleet vs fleet, also it can be used to operate its controls of the starbase and make it work perfectly well. If they implemented this, it would turn this game from being Lame, to OK. At the moment there are alot of problems and I belive things like this can turn the game around.

I would like to see themes, such as "Asteroid Starbase" ,some federation baces, Klingon starbases, cardassian, even a small Planet base that can be upgraded using ALOT of credits, merits, exploration badges so the whole fleet, even thoes not a high level, can contribute.

In more detail i would like to see shops such as Commodities, Weapons, Shipyards where we can create our own ships to defend the starbase. Adding Habitat rings where crews have their own area to deposit their items or display them. With this each starbase can be utterly Unique and independent from eachother.

Some buildings/areas i had in mind were;
Tribble Breading Grounds- allow tribbles to be dropped as kickable items, or allow you to deposit food into a breader to create better tribbles, also allowing people from the fleet to take certan tribbles (if permissions allow it)
Academy- Allows the training of bridge officers and also the ability to shoot small targets, to see how much damage you can do to a target.
Holodeck- Allows Space 1 on 1 PVP or ground 1 on 1 (or Team) PVP

(if i think of more ill add them)
Simple answer - YES!!!
I think they should also add a Fleet Capitol Ship (Carrier) for larger, more successful fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleysRule
Not that I think OP's ideas are bad, I just think it'll never happen for many reasons...the main being everything is instanced. How many starbases per instance? There could be literally 1000s of instances just for fleet starbases.

There's no open PvP and odds are there never will be because that's not what Cryptic does, so there's no reason to defend anything. If there's more than one starbase per instance, even if there was open PvP, would other starbases be able to help defend the one under attack? What about people in that instance that aren't members of the fleet? Could only members of a fleet defend the base? Given the small number of players per instance, either the sides have to be heavily imbalanced in favor of the attacker, or the starbase has to be unarmed, otherwise an attacker couldn't win unless they did "alarm clock" attacks.

I could probably think of a hundred more ways to rain on OP's parade, but this is not my intent.
If instanced means what I think it does (a totally separate "map" from the rest of the game), then bases in CoH are instanced. Base raids there (currently turned off, will be restored "some day") were strictly internal, and made bases VERY complicated.

Even if bases couldn't be attacked, having one would greatly increase many players' enjoyment of the game. If they do happen, I expect they'll be quite a ways "down the road".
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I see them eventually doing this. But it will not happen till there is an expansion. Probably not even the first expansion.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_Gideon
Considering who makes STO, and what other products they've made...

Trying to say "STO should look more like EVE" is a waste of time. Not to mention, if you like EVE so much, then head back on over there and play.

That's where you'll find "Open PvP" and "Death Penalties" in such abundance you'll never know what to do with yourself.

<-- STO

EVE -->

Nope the game should not look more like EVE, that being said EVE has made some giant strides implementing space mechanics that work in an space orientated MMORPG environment and should not be ignored!

Its kind of like saying that most groundbased MMORPG's have simelar mechanics to the original Everquest or Ultima. Just because they "created a whell for a car" does not mean that "no other models should go without a wheel"
Startrek has a lot going for it, I think it could be great! I just wish that cryptic's reverse engineering of the origional guildwars+that psp Startrek game from 5 years ago isn't all I'm looking forward too?
Lt. Commander
# 28
I think motherships is falling too much into EVE. Personnaly I would like a fixed location that i can go to so i can get to my starbase, it hasent moved anywhere or anything, But a mothership that dosent move that stays in a certan sector (Like a starbase but skinned differently) i would be ok with, as long as its not Player controlled.
Lt. Commander
# 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threather
Simple answer - YES!!!
I think they should also add a Fleet Capitol Ship (Carrier) for larger, more successful fleets.
Please nothing of that sort. There are already too many games that seem to cater exclusively to super-large guilds. Most players are in smaller or medium guilds and they don't need to be told every 5 mins that they are less worthy of developer attention than large ones.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-23-2010, 08:08 AM
I started a thread about his subject before, but sense this thread has gotten many more posts ill repost my info here

I have spent time speaking of this in the past however en-light of a recent post by dstahl I wanted to take the time and rehash some information and some what of my own wish list of Fleet Content. Mind you this is not the end all and it represents only my opinion however everything I speak of i firmly believe is within the Cryptic Engines capabilities based on what currently exists within CoX, Champions and STO.

Opinions are encouraged and your own idea would be great in helping the Cryptic Devs come to a informed decision on how to handle Fleet Content.

first things first....if I had to guess Star-bases and/or the areas surrounding the Star-base will be an instanced map much like the rest of the game.....its likely that there will be some type of Trans warp Conduit or some menu item that we choose from a list and bam we are warping off to that location via sector space....

I also believe that choosing which Sector Space map we would want to have access to our Starbase would be beneficial in that Federation Fleets can choose to be safe within the confines of federation space or out on the outer rim near the action with the klingons. Same goes for Klingons and of course eventually all other playable factions. In addition our Traswarp button could also be remapped to different locations within the game, having the Fleet's Sector being one of them.

at which point we enter an instance in which our star base base is located....Now the size of that instance, (IE: number of Starbases, Ship Docks, Planets, moons, and planets with Colonies) would most certainly depend on the Guild/Fleet...Over time a guild can "choose" to occupy a larger instance which supplies them with more objects so for example:

Tier 1 Fleet Sector:

1 Starbase: Starbase would be a gathering location to store excess resources and buy/make items for your ship and crew, exchange access and many other terminals such as mail can be found here as well. Star Bases could potentially be space based or terrestrial based as is seen many times in TNG

Tier 2 Fleet Sector:

1 Starbase: Same as Tier 1 Starbase
1 Space Dock: The Space dock would be used to build or customize new versions of ships, in addition you would be able to use this space dock to outfit or create "Rare" objects that your Fleet as a group unlocked through there Fleet Actions or experiences, Fleet wide accolades can be applied here where bonus to ships and crew can be applied accordingly.

Tier 3 Fleet Sector:

1 Starbase: Same as Tier 1
1 Space Dock: Same as Tier 2
1 Planet: This planet would be something that everyone could colonize, placing their own home on, in addition a "Colony" would produce 1 type of resource for the Fleet, at which point the Fleet would be able to use that resource to buy/sell/trade or build items or objects or turn into Energy Credits that could then be spent to improve the needs of the Fleet.

Tier 4 Fleet Sector:

1 or more starbases: each starbase would be in orbit around each planet
1+ Space Dock
3+ Planet or Moons: Each planet would act similar to a Tier 3 planet but each would produce 1 type of resource. Each planet maybe different in look such as Desert/Ice/or Tropical environments, and there would also be Instanced missions where Fleet members would explore ancient ruins of the planet that may lead them on missions outside of the Fleets sector.

Now of course each Starbase and of course the planets would be highly customizable, as in guild leaders would decide on what environment they could choose as well as the type of resource to be mined. This would work great if say you want to create an Andorian Colony but dont want be "assigned" a desert or tropical world.

Starbase customization may include variations or a mixing and matching of (at least for Federation) DS9, Earth Starbase, and K-7, as well as many others found in shows.

Now that being said I personally believe that Tier 1 and Tier 2 Fleet Sectors should not be attacked and that a Fleet should have the opportunity to grow. Tier 3 Fleet Sectors should be attacked but only at agreed upon times between competing Factions.

Tier 4 Fleet Sectors should be attacked at any time without warning however Tier 4 should also be very difficult to acquire and may include the need to unlock certain missions or a series of unrelated missions that award a Tier 4 Fleet Sector Accolade.

Thanks for reading and any expansion on these ideas is very much welcome!
Closed Thread