# 41
02-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Well WoW is flawed and thats why i left it
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleysRule
Not that I think OP's ideas are bad, I just think it'll never happen for many reasons...the main being everything is instanced. How many starbases per instance? There could be literally 1000s of instances just for fleet starbases.

There's no open PvP and odds are there never will be because that's not what Cryptic does, so there's no reason to defend anything. If there's more than one starbase per instance, even if there was open PvP, would other starbases be able to help defend the one under attack? What about people in that instance that aren't members of the fleet? Could only members of a fleet defend the base? Given the small number of players per instance, either the sides have to be heavily imbalanced in favor of the attacker, or the starbase has to be unarmed, otherwise an attacker couldn't win unless they did "alarm clock" attacks.

I could probably think of a hundred more ways to rain on OP's parade, but this is not my intent.
WOW back then they thought it would never happen but here come fleet starbase, how much will they cost?
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Takes me back to POS on Jumpgate, all those ugly anchored stations filling up the sector, how pointless.

An instanced fleet base from a communal map yes, with its own pvp zone yes, but anchored for everyone to see no, and not really Star Trek is it? Unless DS9 was really Sisko Boyz 999th Tactical exped recon nukerz fleetbase!
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-26-2011, 01:31 AM
I'm afraid I stand with others who don't want STO to be a Star Trek Themed clone of Eve Online.

By all means, have an interior space station for fleets, somewhere to do a spot of RP or formally welcome a new member to the fleet, (at the moment, we do it on the bridge of one of the higher ranks ships). Maybe a bank and a fleet private exchange or something and a place to change ships and plan events etc. Maybe even a notice board for members to read up on coming fleet events and such. It can be a social meeting area and a gathering place for the start of events or just somewhere to park yourself after a long hard day in the captains chair.

However, having combat based around stations is trying too much to be like Eve Online. It works for them because their whole game is based on open PVP and they have a huge game area to do it in. All we have is a little punyverse and not a lot of places to put a station. In addition, I don't think players would want to remain online to thwart attacks etc at all times of day and night, majority of players here have real lives to live. I know for a fact that Eve Online has destroyed a fair few marriages due to the amount of time you need to put into the game, often at the expense of your personal life. While it's OK for the kids, older players can't invest that sort of time.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-26-2011, 01:39 AM
I like the idea that the players will now have a somewhat impact on the game. then just playing mindless missions with nothing to really show for it and nor their fleets. It will be a small step closer in what they showed STO was going to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Bif3UAKho

now players can write their own stories to tell to others. Not have them made for them.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-26-2011, 02:00 AM
i'd have my fingers crossed that when fleet starbases are introduced that they're more useful than the captains table, otherwise the resources used in developing them are pretty much wasted.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Season 7 release notes;
- Fleet starbases added!
- they're nothing like you hoped, and all of the requested features will be added at a later date, so enjoy the bare-bones system that is in place for now!

just like ship interiors.
Closed Thread