Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Let me add a couple of things:
  1. NPC crew wandering about and performing duties - no ghost ships please.
  2. Captain's Quaters that are in effect player housing is stellar idea.
  3. Please! No zone loading on the ship. I hate the doors in STO... its always a bloody loading zone.
  4. Did I mention doors? Please give us door like Trek with the *Pshhweeee* (TM) noise! This is one of those great Trek nuances that are missing.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2010, 08:04 AM
The most important thing for ship interiors is to give us SOMETHING TO DO in there (daily quests?). If all the ship interiors are going to be is a few rooms, then nobody will have any reason to walk around in them more than once. How many players visited their bridges more than once? I sure didn't.

Other than that:

- Yay for clickable chairs!
- Captains quarters
- Ready room
- Ten forward
- Holodecks
- Engineering
- Shuttle deck
- Astrometrics
- Storage area (with personal bank!)
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
The only other suggestion from me to help with the immersion and persistent travel is to make it so that you can't invite people to your ship unless they are nearby.

IE beside you in sector space and within 20 km in system.

Then while on your ship if its persistently moving their ship follows yours.
This one, I gotta disagree with, as someone with guild leading experience.

Social spaces are great for meetings, screenshots, fun times. But if it's too much work to get there, everyone goes "Eh, I'll just listen in Fleet Chat." The current system allows them to zoom from what they're doing to visit your ship, then zoom right back without travel "penalties" to time.

Now, for MISSIONS on your ship, it should follow grouping rules, absolutely.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMentalxLintx
1) Leave the scale as it is. Bigger areas are needed if we want missions to happen in these spaces at some point. Shrinking it also shrinks the content you'd put there.
This seems completely reasonable to me. I understand why some folks are unhappy with the scale of things but one does get used to it and it has a practical functionality as is.

Quote:
2) More explorable areas, connected by hallways (not zone doors). At a minimum - conference room, captain's quarters, sick bay, engineering, and transporter room.
We do see this with interior views of other ships, the mission objective ships, to some extent and it would probably be easier just porting and adjusting those than inventing completely new things. So this does seem reasonable to me as a layman.

Quote:
3) Click-to-sit chairs. I don't have to concentrate really hard to sit down in a chair... and my character shouldn't have to, either.
This may be harder than it sounds. SWG still has people sliding off click-to-sit chairs on a regular basis and that was a bug since day one there. Still, this is a huge deal for me as "sitting" is the ur-roleplayer emote. Nobody else ever needs or wants to have an avatar sit anywhere. There's no use for it. But for us, sitting down is a way of saying, "come take a load off, let's chat" when everyone else is running about like chickens with their heads cut off, and only a roleplayer (or a roleplayer that doesn't know she's a roleplayer yet) would bother to imagine their character sitting down to feel comfortable.

Quote:
4) Decorative choices of some sort in the Captain's Quarters. Everything else, go ahead and leave it stock, but this ONE area should have some level of personalization--it's where your captain LIVES, not where he WORKS. Maybe some plants, a game table (non-functional), an award case (based on accolades), a variety of beds/couches to choose from--even if you can't change the position.
I think Captain's quarters should be the equivalent of player housing in STO. They'll be where ever you are, on whatever ship you're commanding. Since they're innately portable it suits the nomadic lifestyle of a Starship captain.

However, I think Fleet Starbases should take precedence over starship interiors as a focal point for player gathering. Since we're not serving on each other's ships it's more natural that we'd gravitate to a shared base of operations as a home. Fleet Starbases should have some functionality, like Supergroup Bases in CoH, so people have a reason to go there as well. Since a player's ship goes where he goes his personal housing, the Captain's Quarters, will be there too. When a player switches Fleets there's no fuss or muss moving stuff around (unlike moving between player cities in SWG). It'll be a very streamlined process.

All in all solid, reasonable ideas, that I can't help but adding my two cents to.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2010, 08:31 AM
If ship interiors are implemented then on-ship missions must be too. Otherwise it's a large investment of developer resources for a small benefit. It would be nice if the interior locations had some functionality of their own, but I can go without that as long as there are missions involving them.

I think on-ship missions (and therefore ship interiors) are a MUST for this game. They would go a long way to making this feel more like s Star-Trek game, plus give ample opportunity for more variety in episodes. Having some Klingons board your ship and having to fight them off is basically the same thing as beaming down to a planet and fighting Klingons, but it will get players more invested in the story, because they are defending their own ship, rather than some generic planet.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2010, 09:06 AM
On my ship(s) I would like to have:

1. Captain's quarters, with a way to place items in it for decorative purposes. In virtually every other mmo I've played, there was player housing for both increased storage and with the ability to decorate it for roleplay purposes. I want a bat'leth on my wall.

2. Some equivalent of 10 Forward, ie a 'bar' complete with people in it. On my Negh'var, I'll have Orion dancing girls and a pole. On my Sovereign, I'll have crew members talking about how they wished they had Orion dancing girls and a pole.

3. Explorable sick bay, engineering, astrometrics. From my own sick bay, on my ship, I should be able to get a FREE supply of hyposprays before an away mission or ground pvp. From engineering, I should be able to get a FREE supply of personal shield heals. From astrometrics, well, it's fluff but that's what I want and what we're talking about here. Give me a big map of the known universe that isn't flat.

4. Crew quarters. Again just fluff but there should be some people sleeping in the barracks if they're not on duty or in the bar.

5. Shuttle and cargo bay. Even if I can't launch the shuttle, I do know that all the bigger ships have them on the Fed side. On the Klingon carrier, you should be able to see a massive bay with fighters in it.

I won't go as far as hoping for a holodeck, which could give ground mission training, or a bar that looks different with a New Orleans jazz band in it, but hey...

I do want all of these things, very much, but I hope they'll fix the bigger issues first, like Klingons actually having content. Adding tons more scalable missions that have scalable rewards so that when the new missions come, if you're already high level it's still worth doing them.

And yes, I want to click my captain's chair and sit in it. But of all of these things, I WANT TO FIGHT FROM MY BRIDGE. i WANT TO SEE A FEW BRIDGE OFFICERS FALL DOWN IF WE TAKE A TORPEDO HIT. I want the regular interface to be me sitting in the chair while we're moving around sector space AND when we're fighting. I could care less about seeing my tiny ship from the outside while fighting. I could care less if my situational awareness is somewhat diminished by fighting from the bridge. When we look "on screen" we could see the same view that we see now minus our own ship in the bottom middle. When we contact Starfleet or KDF, THAT could go on screen too. I want to stand up from my chair and walk to transporter room 3, or 1 or 4, in order to beam down for an away mission. I want to fight in the chair, and then when I leave the system I was fighting in, I want to stand up and walk around and go anywhere in my ship that I can. I don't want to have to beam to my own bridge, or beam anywhere on my ship, I should be able to walk there through hallways and elevators.

Make it so if a tactical team is beamed over in combat that the fighting involved is visible right inside the ship. Make it so there WILL be occasional combat on our own ships (as stated in another post).

I'll stop here for now, but yep, this is some of the things I would like to see.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosableActionFigure View Post
If ship interiors are implemented then on-ship missions must be too. Otherwise it's a large investment of developer resources for a small benefit. It would be nice if the interior locations had some functionality of their own, but I can go without that as long as there are missions involving them.

I think on-ship missions (and therefore ship interiors) are a MUST for this game. They would go a long way to making this feel more like s Star-Trek game, plus give ample opportunity for more variety in episodes. Having some Klingons board your ship and having to fight them off is basically the same thing as beaming down to a planet and fighting Klingons, but it will get players more invested in the story, because they are defending their own ship, rather than some generic planet.
Exactly. I have added your distinctive post to my own.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Seems like it should be similar to the ship interiors found in SWG.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMentalxLintx
1) Leave the scale as it is. Bigger areas are needed if we want missions to happen in these spaces at some point. Shrinking it also shrinks the content you'd put there...
Here's where you lost me.

DO NOT have massive interiors! We are not Starbase Commanders and our ships aren't pleasure yachts. If the interiors are built for giants, I would prefer the Devs not even bother. After all, the shows have 40+ years of material and 28 seasons of canon "look and feel" - why not just stick to what we know and expect?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Here's where you lost me.

DO NOT have massive interiors! We are not Starbase Commanders and our ships aren't pleasure yachts. If the interiors are built for giants, I would prefer the Devs not even bother. After all, the shows have 40+ years of material and 28 seasons of canon "look and feel" - why not just stick to what we know and expect?
I think the NPC AI can't handle tight spaces and that's a major reason for the wide open insides we see on missions.

I can live with it tbh, I just really want them to get everything else right. And make some kick ass non-linear missions on our ships.