Lt. Commander
# 1 8800 GT Troubles
02-23-2010, 07:31 AM
I've been searching on the forums to try and find a solution but have yet to find it. What is happening is every time I log into STO and try to play the graphics are majorly bugged. Im not too sure what its called but there is heavy clipping/artifacts (if thats what its called). There are graphical errors that come off of everyone's head, objects around the space stations, pretty much everything in the environment. Its frustrating and stops me from playing because depending on the way I move my POV I can have more of these errors or less.

My specs are:

intel q9550 2.83ghz
4 gigs ddr 1066
nVidia 8800 GT
windows 7 64 bit ultimate

Ive tried the 190 driver that I read may help with no luck, as well as the newest stable and beta, with also no luck. If anyone can help with this I'd greatly appreciate it as I really wanna try this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Well it could be a driver issue, but you might want to look into temprature, if the card is only slightly overheating you can see graphic errors much like the ones you discribed. Check ventalation around the card and the chassi. Also if you have tried to overclock the card through the control panel, you might want to dial it back. It could also be a symptom of irreparible damage and if your card is under warranty you may want to send it in. Wish I had a better fix :/ sorry about the bad news.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Either your card is dying or you have some bad mojo for drivers.

Dying card... not much you can do but replace it.

Drivers, use a utility like drive sweeper to remove the drivers completely and then re-install. Take important note of the steps needed, e.g add/remove in normal windows, reboot into safe mode and run utility , reboot and reinstall latest drivers.

By the way, am using 8800GT as well. It's working good for me.

If you're playing in higher resolution like 1920x1200 or above... better to use a graphic card that have around 1 gig ram or use "half resolution"...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 11:53 AM
As of todays patch im haveing issues. I never had before. I use 8800GTX and i can get in game for like 2-3 mins then locks me up and crashes me out big time.

I have jsut updated all my drivers and its still crashing me out

Guess till this is addressed at cryptic ill be giving STO a miss
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm praying my card's not dying because it'll play everything else good so I'm gonna try to use drive sweeper and see if I can find a driver that will work for me. Hopefully ill be able to fix this because my paid time is just wasting away.. Any driver suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 09:16 AM
could also be an issue with the windows patches that came down one of the security patches has a known issue of blue screening and causeing video issues on some machines.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arm514ve View Post
could also be an issue with the windows patches that came down one of the security patches has a known issue of blue screening and causeing video issues on some machines.

If the issue you are talking about was this months batch of patches the blue screen problem only occurred with machines that were infected with a virus . KB977165 was the patch and it only effected windows xp machines with the file atapi.sys corrupted with a rootkit.

as to the op's problem if cleaning out all old drivers and reinstalling them and checking temperatures are not too high it looks to me that the video card is on the way out.