Lt. Commander
# 1 I love Star Trek
02-23-2010, 09:59 AM
It is my favorite sci-fi universe by miles. I rather watch "Dagger of the Mind", "Amok Time" or "All Good Things" for the 50th time than watch anything George Lucas has ever made. At one point the Klingon Dictionary was my most well-worn reference book. That being said I am struggling not to uninstall STO. It hurt to write that because STO seems to be perfect for me: casual play friendly and Star Trek centric.

The first week I played I would literally just move the camera to replicate the exterior shots of the Enterprise form the original series. Getting to set my phaser to stun, fire photon torps, send emergency power to shields...awesome!

Now, three weeks in I have only logged in twice in the last week. In both cases I cruised around, blew up some "wandering Klingons" and 30 mins later logged off. Much to my horror, I now find the game boring.

My question is why? I love ST, and MMOs, and I can not figure out why this game is not more fun. Like I said I know MMOs- so I understand and have a huge tolerance for having to "grind it out" with new games, but STO seems "ungrindable" to me. I just don't understand. Why is this game just not gelling?

Also, yes, I have, as I mention above, played MMOs before, lots of them. So, it is not the game genre that is throwing me.

And, why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared because people really care what I think? No, but I do have the assumption that everyone reading this has at least one common interest, STO. And I assume that others might be interested in what other players think of the game we are all playing.

/signed disappointed, warp factor 12
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 10:05 AM
How far did you get into the game? The biggest problem with this game is the lack of mission variety. There are a few missions that stand out as being enjoyable but they are few and far between.

Now I do enjoy the space combat, and ground combat is passable but at RA2 I am starting to lose steam. My main driving force is loot, so that should carry me through till the 45 day patch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I hate to welcome you to the club of disappointed Trek fans, but we have a seat for you right over here.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I am purposely only playing once or twice per week, because otherwise the repetition puts me to sleep..

don't get me wrong, I love trek and I want this game to succeed, bt Cryptic did a huge disservice to fans by releasing the game in its current state..

On my off days, I am playing Allods Online.. Also in open beta it features thousands of quests, an open world to explore, compelling PVP, raiding, full crafting and gathering professions, as well as a very robust 'starship captain' mechanic with player controller ships that support (and require) multiple players to fly

It's pretty bad that a game in the first week of it's open beta is 10x more complete than STO is a month after launch.

Anyways, I'll keep logging in for my 2-3 hours a week until this game gets better and I have stuff to do other than PEW PEW PRESS F PEW PEW but until then the majority of my time will be in Allods.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I would think that by now even the "fanboys" are starting to feel the same.

I too love Trek (and Star Wars ) but there is something missing from this game.

Is it the fact that we have no Prime Directive as we just cruise around the galaxy shooting everything in sight?
or is it that we have / feel no connection with our characters and don't care if we live or die as we just respawn and try again?

I don't know, but something is definitely missing........Just hope someone can figure out what it is, preferably before the 30 day mass exodus that seems likely to happen.

Live long and Prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfkicker
/signed disappointed, warp factor 12
This post very well could have been from me. It reflects my sentiments exactly. Everything from the love of the IP down to the ultimate infrequency of logging in. I got to LC. I kept hearing it got a lot better then. Well, it didn't.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I have made two federation characters and have gotten them to Lt. 8 I think. I suffer from altitice so I generally progress slowly through MMOs. I understand that the better ships add some elements to space combat that I currently can't enjoy, but I did not think the mission structure changes. You have a better ship, the enemies have a better ship, but the gameplay is unchanged.

I enjoy yhe space combat, too. But, as many others have pointed out, it is either no challange (Here I am, in a Miranda-class ship blowing up 3 Bird-of-Prey ships at once? HUH?) or near impossible (warp in, explode, re-spawn, repeat until you get far enough away from the enemies to warp out again). Rocks v Hard Places, really.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi........mind if I sit down with you lot too?

Maybe we can watch some TNG while we wait for content?

How about we watch Descent 1&2 or Chain of Command 1&2?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I'm afraid we are all kinda getting sucked into the Tyken's Rift of Boredom. It really wouldn't be so bad if there was something other to do than combat.

All of us that enjoy Star Trek, enjoy it for the exploration, diplomacy, technological detective work.

we don't have any of those things in STO and I hope they put it in soon, because despite the name, this game isn't Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
How far did you get into the game? The biggest problem with this game is the lack of mission variety. There are a few missions that stand out as being enjoyable but they are few and far between.

Now I do enjoy the space combat, and ground combat is passable but at RA2 I am starting to lose steam. My main driving force is loot, so that should carry me through till the 45 day patch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskeonkel View Post
Yeah, I'm afraid we are all kinda getting sucked into the Tyken's Rift of Boredom. It really wouldn't be so bad if there was something other to do than combat.

All of us that enjoy Star Trek, enjoy it for the exploration, diplomacy, technological detective work.

we don't have any of those things in STO and I hope they put it in soon, because despite the name, this game isn't Trek.
I hope so. I would like to but my character's science training to work doing more that just draining enemy shields. Then again, maybe the gameplay elements you mention would be seen as boring by the majority?

Also, If I had it to do over again, I would have named this thread Tyken's Rift of Boredom. Brilliant.