Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfkicker
why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared because people really care what I think?
LOL, I love that statement. I shall tweak it and steal it for my signature block!
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
It's not invalid OP. The game needs a lot of work. Thank you for writing out instead of just pounding your chest and evoking rage over dissapointment.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
My experience is similar to what a number of posters have said.

The game is ok, but it is a bit repetative. Some of the missions have very entertaining stories, and others are just bland or so similar they may as well be the same.

I have not been playing much; I signed in a couple of times to check mail (ok well to report the gold spammers) but it has been at least a week since I played.

I suspect that the devs will improve the game. No idea how long this will take, but I am patient.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Yep welcome to the club OP , its not you its the game , I also find myself not wanting to log in at times , even though I still enjoy the space battles and the story driven missions are well done IMHO , the problem is even if you enjoy doing something do you want to do it all the time ? the answerer is no for me , fighting is cool and all but theres as to be more in true MMO , I am not a crafter but I would like the option , I am not a diplomat but would again like the option , and has Flowers mentioned in a very good thread there no sense of community or working for a common goal .

I still think some of this things could get worked out and I hope they will , but its like they only tapped into 25% of the ST IP , there's so much more they could have done to make this a well rounded game.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfkicker
It is my favorite sci-fi universe by miles. I rather watch "Dagger of the Mind", "Amok Time" or "All Good Things" for the 50th time than watch anything George Lucas has ever made. At one point the Klingon Dictionary was my most well-worn reference book. That being said I am struggling not to uninstall STO. It hurt to write that because STO seems to be perfect for me: casual play friendly and Star Trek centric.

The first week I played I would literally just move the camera to replicate the exterior shots of the Enterprise form the original series. Getting to set my phaser to stun, fire photon torps, send emergency power to shields...awesome!

Now, three weeks in I have only logged in twice in the last week. In both cases I cruised around, blew up some "wandering Klingons" and 30 mins later logged off. Much to my horror, I now find the game boring.

My question is why? I love ST, and MMOs, and I can not figure out why this game is not more fun. Like I said I know MMOs- so I understand and have a huge tolerance for having to "grind it out" with new games, but STO seems "ungrindable" to me. I just don't understand. Why is this game just not gelling?

Also, yes, I have, as I mention above, played MMOs before, lots of them. So, it is not the game genre that is throwing me.

And, why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared because people really care what I think? No, but I do have the assumption that everyone reading this has at least one common interest, STO. And I assume that others might be interested in what other players think of the game we are all playing.

/signed disappointed, warp factor 12
I am with you on the origional Startrek, My top 5 episodes :

All good things
Cause and effect
The Game
The one with crusher when everyone starts dissapearing
Year of Hell 1 and 2
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I am with you guys there. I took the consequences and canceld my account today. It is paid until march 2nd. i will check the progress it made every 6 to 12 months. and something tells me im also not alone in doing that.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexs
I am with you on the origional Startrek, My top 5 episodes :

All good things
Cause and effect
The Game
The one with crusher when everyone starts dissapearing
Year of Hell 1 and 2
The Crusher one is "remember me" I believe.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskeonkel View Post
Yeah, I'm afraid we are all kinda getting sucked into the Tyken's Rift of Boredom. It really wouldn't be so bad if there was something other to do than combat.

All of us that enjoy Star Trek, enjoy it for the exploration, diplomacy, technological detective work.

we don't have any of those things in STO and I hope they put it in soon, because despite the name, this game isn't Trek.
Agreed. The Tyken's Rift of Boredom. That pretty much sums it all.

Btw, how could Trek techonology ever become so boring as it is in STO? I don't even want to geek about it, there's nothing to geek on in this game. Those skills are empty of interest. "Systems" are badly used, you can't be creative about them as the characters are in all the shows.

And the bugs just kill my immersion when I have to log out to workaround a npc not appearing or a mission not progressing. And they broke my red matter capacitor today, I can't use it, it won't bind it in the hotbar.

We must face it. Geordi & Data would not like this game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QLanatir
I am with you guys there. I took the consequences and canceld my account today. It is paid until march 2nd. i will check the progress it made every 6 to 12 months. and something tells me im also not alone in doing that.
Sadly, I am starting to think this might be the way to go. Writing that made me sad.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QLanatir
My stance towards this game exactly.