Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBrillig
As long as it's just yourself, it's not crafting, it's a skills system.

So this is a skill system, that might lead to something vaguely resembling crafting later. Given that we already have a skill system in place, Cryptic should focus on refining and improving that rather than implementing a parallel one.
No, it is crafting explicitly; this is the baseline engine to drive it all. This is the bit that has to be live at a minimum before the full on crafting system, the half of the equation which would take a lot more time to design. I just flushed out the lead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
This is all of it, all in one. This if a skill-based economy, around building up our characters. Rather than crafting physical "stuff" like phasers, or ship components, it's about getting and earning (and selling/trading) skills and skill credits. It's a possible wet dream for crafting the scope and nature of your character. Once implemented, this would later extend to a second level of Crafting where you could build, and design, actual skills and training programs for others.. but that's secondary to the core system, which is here. The final crafting solution would be a driver to this.

In ******** terms, you're a blacksmith or a tailor. Here, you'd design Combat training. Or Science training. The ones below--that do one thing, at about 0.25% per rank, are the "Commons". Player builts would be "Greens" and either do two things at 0.25% or one per rank at 0.5%. Rares would do 3 or more at varying percentages. Ultra-rares, or epics, may go as high as as 1% per rank.

The point is to not have a crafting system of Stuff, but rather of people--us. Crafting to drive skills, which is far more Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2010, 11:31 AM
My wet dream is crafting a ship or designing one
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
This is very misleading. I haven't read anything about an economy in this post, only skill leveling.

And if you're going to have skills act as a form of currency, then ppl selling levels are going to be a huge problem. The player who wants to shell out an additional $20-$40 bucks would be ahead of the average player, thus making gameplay moot.

Not to mention the word "craft" isn't mentioned anywhere in the post after the title.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Not to mention that this cant be implemented into STO at all, which makes the whole discussion kinda useless.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:

The point is to not have a crafting system of Stuff, but rather of people--us. Crafting to drive skills, which is far more Trek.
If you wanted to do that, I think a better solution (which would work within the current framework, which makes it much more likely to be adopted), is to improve the existing skill system, especially for Bridge Officers, maybe with some of the ideas you have, and there's your crafting.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
This is very misleading. I haven't read anything about an economy in this post, only skill leveling.

And if you're going to have skills act as a form of currency, then ppl selling levels are going to be a huge problem. The player who wants to shell out an additional $20-$40 bucks would be ahead of the average player, thus making gameplay moot.

Not to mention the word "craft" isn't mentioned anywhere in the post after the title.
The economy is selling Merits you've earned and can't use--akin to selling mats in ********, as well as selling skills you've crafted later or gotten as Rares that you can't use.

How would you sell levels here? Are you talking about IRL selling of Skill Merits? No different than people selling Gold, in that sense, but they aren't nearly as common and the math drop rates spread them out significantly. You're wrong on the making gameplay moot. Also, each Skill begins as 1/100. You still have to earn Merits to level them.

As for the word "craft" it's right there several times.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scay
Not to mention that this cant be implemented into STO at all, which makes the whole discussion kinda useless.
Why exactly can't it be implemented?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Why exactly can't it be implemented?
Because changing the current system into this huge complicated behemoth of a skill / crafting / economy system would require a year worth of development on Cryptics side. At least. Plus an internal, alpha and beta test, cause it changes like everything. This is not just a patch.

I am a developer, so thats my professional estimate, without even knowing about further problems, the best case estimate so to speak.

Cryptic is not gonna invest a year into THIS, they would rather create a new trash MMORPG in that time using the same resources.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scay
Because changing the current system into this huge complicated behemoth of a skill / crafting / economy system would require a year worth of development on Cryptics side. At least. Plus an internal, alpha and beta test, cause it changes like everything. This is not just a patch.

I am a developer, so thats my professional estimate, without even knowing about further problems, the best case estimate so to speak.

Cryptic is not gonna invest a year into THIS, they would rather create a new trash MMORPG in that time using the same resources.
Well, time will tell, but it sounds like you're just plain down on Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Well, time will tell, but it sounds like you're just plain down on Cryptic.
Well if with down you mean I think they are a crappy company that produces low quality games then yes, you are absolutely right. I have seen their work and it's neither well designed nor technically well done, so yeah, what else should I think?

But even a great company, when faced with a software like this, would not put in something like what you outlined, which is almost like a complete rewrite. Its just not feasible, if they wanted to implement your idea I would recommend a complete rewrite of the affected parts of the software.