Lt. Commander
# 11
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
It's the same way the military chooses aircraft designs. The letter prefix denotes the type of aircraft;

F - fighter
C - Cargo
A - Attack

so on ...

And the number suffix denote the design series. So an F- 16 is a Fighter aircraft that was the 16th design for that role.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
USS Enterprise

USS is short for United Star Ship

NCC-1701

NCC has been presumed to mean Naval Construction contract, with the "1701" meaning the 17th major design, vessel number 01 in the series. Note that the Constitution is presumed to be NCC-1700, or the 'class vessel' (first of the series) who's name the rest are called by. For example, the Enterprise is a Constitution Class starship (so named after the first one built).
How does NX fit in, i mean does that mean there is a Enterprise Class out there?
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekollx View Post
How does NX fit in, i mean does that mean there is a Enterprise Class out there?
nx is used for experimental prototype ships
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Uses the same naming conventions as modern warships.

USS Greeneville (United States Ship)
SSN 772 (Submersible Ship, Nuclear)

The fact that modern and 2400s both use USS is just coincidence.

And as far as the X, modern warships also use X in their names while in prototype states, as the next generation carriers are CVX (Carrier Vessel Experimental)
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
NX was the class designation of the first 'starfleet ship' the NX class featured in enterprise..

In later years NX was used to designate a design prototype, or experimental ship ..

So excelsior recieved the registry number NX-2000 in trek III when she was a proof of concept for the transwarp drive, however once she had that stripped out and replaced with a standard drive and was put into regular service her registry number was changed to NCC-2000
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
From your earlier posts in this thread OP I almost have to wonder if you've ever watched any Star Trek at all before.

NX=experimental, first of class ship starting with the movie era and retroactively applied to ST:E. Excelsior's registration in ST III was NX-2000 before being changed to NCC-2000. Defiant was NX-74205 (I think).

I believe Darkjedi is correct with his/her NCC number break down.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I just assumed that America took over the world at some point prior to forming the Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-23-2010, 12:06 PM
A nice, non-canon reference for this is the Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph that came out in the 1970s. It has an entire section on the original 13 Constitution class starships and their registry numbers. Again, it is non-canon so there is some difference between it and some of those ships that actually were shown or referred to in ST:TOS.

One of the things that I have always missed from TOS was that each ship had its own assignment patch on the front of their uniforms. The Enterprise had the famous delta shape that became the insignia for all of Starfleet in the later movies and TV series. The technical manual I mentioned earlier had a section that showed the patches for each Constitution class ship, some of which were seen in TOS, i.e. the USS Constellation, the USS Exeter. I wish that was something they would have kept. Oh well.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
I just assumed that America took over the world at some point prior to forming the Federation.
GR's utopian Fantasyland had the UN become a world government, like a lot of leftists would like to see happen. The Fed logo is eerily similar to the UN logo.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleysRule
From your earlier posts in this thread OP I almost have to wonder if you've ever watched any Star Trek at all before.

NX=experimental, first of class ship starting with the movie era and retroactively applied to ST:E. Excelsior's registration in ST III was NX-2000 before being changed to NCC-2000. Defiant was NX-74205 (I think).

I believe Darkjedi is correct with his/her NCC number break down.
the last Trek i saw was Enterprise when it was new, the Abrams movie in Theater, and First Run Voyager