Lt. Commander
# 1 Viral Matrix ... no good Idea
02-23-2010, 01:55 PM
1. Im from Europe.. so excuse my english

I have a 36 Sci Ship.. and skilled Viral Matrix for PvE reasons.. i tought its fine.. then i did some BGs and killed peeps they didnt get a chance to shoot me once... and i stoped Playing my Fed Sci Char.. because i thought i cant be truth to be so owerpowered... Stunn, jam Sensors VM.. and Boom goes the Kling

Now i reroled Kling and im insulting other Players (Feds and Klings) since im LC1 that use Viral Matrix.
Ok the defs nerfed it a lil bit.. its dispellable with Sci Team..
I actualy made like 10 Players stop using that totaly Imbalanced skill.
There is just 1 Counter against a Skill that Stops my Ship in all Aspects.

Someone has to explain me why there is a skill that is stronger then all the others.
Actualy its like 3 skills in 1.. Stops Movement (like Tractor Beam), stops Weapons (there are several Skills, that "stop" Players from Shooting) and last but not least stops the Shield Regen and Rotation..

Yes its a 3 Skills in 1 ...

Now i dont want to be rude in the Forums.. but Devs.. who ever came up with the Viral Idea should be Fishslaped all day...

Take it out of the Game or let it just Effect 1 aspek of the ship.. like Sub system targeting.. you choose what Viral Matrix should effect.. Shields, Movement or Weapons.. and i wont insult anyone anymore that uses VM. Or let it like it is but then it should be a pure Crowd Controle skill that makes the target invulnerable for the Duration.

Ty

Soul
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhin
Now i dont want to be rude in the Forums.. but Devs.. who ever came up with the Viral Idea should be Fishslaped all day...
Steve Gerber and Beth Woods are guilty of that. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Icon...e_transmission

The devs already toned it down a lot. But I agree, Viral Matrix is mean and made me take Science Team I and II just to counter it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
There's always a bigger fish.

There is nothing wrong with Viral Matrix. It does exactly what it is supposed to do for the exact amount of time it needs to do it. If you're having difficulties dealing with the power, might I suggest these:

There are a couple of powers that negate the Viral Matrix. Attack Pattern Omega and Science Team.

It is up to you to decide whether you wish to have those powers or not.

Be aware that players are not the only ones to play with powers like that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 10:11 PM
I agree that it's still far more powerful than any other single ability. It would be nice if it would just "cause malfunctions" instead of instantly shutting down every aspect of your ship for a quite lengthy period of time.

Like:

(each item individually rolled for)
30% chance to cause beams to stop firing
30% chance to cause torpedoes and mines to stop firing
30% chance to cause engines to stop
30% chance to disable all engineer abilities
30% chance to disable all science abilities
30% chance to disable all tactical abilities

As it is, it's a 100% chance to do all of those. It's just way too powerful.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Call me masochistic, but I like the "purple torpedo of doom" - and I'm a cruiser captain and can't use it...

You see, it always reminds of when the USS Defiant was hit by the Breen weapon - Defiant went from an armoured wedge of death cutting a swathe through the Dominion, to a helpless collection of metals and dead circuits, and I loved the sounds of systems going off line, and that's what I hear when my cruiser get hit by VM.

One moment I've got all turrets blazing, the next everything falls silent and the ship just drifts... it makes a great game atmosphere. I imagine my captain and bridge crew looking up at the dimming lights and the fading consoles...

"We have a problem! Science Officer, get those systems back online! Now!"

I like it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 04:03 AM
However, its 3-abilities-in-one effects can be completely negated by a single ability which is also one of the primary self-heals that, even if VM didn't exist, I would recommend in most builds anyway.

Consider:
  • Subnucleonic Pulse, Aceton Field, and Feedback Pulse (the main skills that disable/punish firing) have no counter
  • Tractor Beam requires the otherwise debatably-useful Polarize Hull Plating to counter, and the root from Chroniton weapons is only countered by Attack Pattern Omega in theory (and I don't know if it actually works)
  • Does not stop shield regen, but does suppress shield shifting. So does Subnucleonic Pulse which has no counter.
  • By Science Team's description, it seems it should also negate some or all of Jam Sensors, Scramble Sensors, Energy Siphon, and Tyken's Rift in addition to making VM useless. Has anyone checked these?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
However, its 3-abilities-in-one effects can be completely negated by a single ability which is also one of the primary self-heals that, even if VM didn't exist, I would recommend in most builds anyway.

Consider:
  • Subnucleonic Pulse, Aceton Field, and Feedback Pulse (the main skills that disable/punish firing) have no counter
  • Tractor Beam requires the otherwise debatably-useful Polarize Hull Plating to counter, and the root from Chroniton weapons is only countered by Attack Pattern Omega in theory (and I don't know if it actually works)
  • Does not stop shield regen, but does suppress shield shifting. So does Subnucleonic Pulse which has no counter.
  • By Science Team's description, it seems it should also negate some or all of Jam Sensors, Scramble Sensors, Energy Siphon, and Tyken's Rift in addition to making VM useless. Has anyone checked these?
The counter to Feedback Pulse is to not fire beam weapons at the ship that has it activated.

Pretty sure Tractor Beam has another power that counters it as well... it's another of those Hull powers. I forget the name of it at this moment.

Tyken's Rift sucks the energy out of the ship, Science Team doesn't supply energy to the ship. Having an EPS regulator installed makes this point pretty much null and void. Emergency Power To XXX should also fulfill your needs I think, although I do not have those powers to test with.

The Subnucleonic Pulse stuns for 3 seconds, interrupting whatever power is activated and then adds an additional amount of time to the current recharge time of powers that are recharging. To which the counter to that is to not have powers recharging, or drop their recharge time (Photonic Officer should in theory help with that if it is an issue).

Aceton Field dramatically reduces the enemy's capability of weapons damage and inflicts radiation damage if that enemy uses energy weapons. The counters to that are simple. For the radiation damage, there are many "healing" abilities available for your usage so I won't even get into that. You can raise your damage potential with just about any of the Attack Pattern powers from Tactical along with the Tactical Debuff Remover of Tactical Team.
Lt. Commander
# 8 +/-
02-24-2010, 05:25 AM
I pretty hate to be targeted by the viral matrix, but am often saved because have Pattern Omega II so my damage increases + immunity ... but it wont work all the time, especially when i start another BOs attack pattern, like Beta but I have also encountered something like a lag when using my skills. Clicking the skill causes a acustical feedback that i clicked it, but nothing happens. It's like "fizzling" a spell. Have often klicked a skill and 10 seconds later i was wondering, why nothing happens, looking at the bar and seeing that its not activated, now I am hammering one skill to activate it to be sure it really does.

Quote:
Consider:

* Subnucleonic Pulse, Aceton Field, and Feedback Pulse (the main skills that disable/punish firing) have no counter
* Tractor Beam requires the otherwise debatably-useful Polarize Hull Plating to counter, and the root from Chroniton weapons is only countered by Attack Pattern Omega in theory (and I don't know if it actually works)
* Does not stop shield regen, but does suppress shield shifting. So does Subnucleonic Pulse which has no counter.
* By Science Team's description, it seems it should also negate some or all of Jam Sensors, Scramble Sensors, Energy Siphon, and Tyken's Rift in addition to making VM useless. Has anyone checked these?
Feedback Pulse is only working on beams, so every cannon weapon and torpedo attack will strike through, my skills are specialized on beams so had to get a full set of cannons and turrets for FvK just to counter that.

Tractor beam can be neutralized by a.) Attack Pattern Omega and b.) Pollarize Hull, so pretty easy to avoid it since Omega increases your own damage and pollarizing your hull also increases energy damage resistance.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 05:52 AM
First, let me back up a bit. By "counter" I mean "something that completely negates the effect, as if it had never been used in the first place". Viral Matrix is uniquely powerful as a true hold in space, but it's also uniquely binary. It either takes effect or doesn't, and it's ridiculously easy to make sure that 'doesn't' is what happens to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signofjustice View Post
The counter to Feedback Pulse is to not fire beam weapons at the ship that has it activated.

Technically true, but that's not really a 'counter' since the ship that has feedback pulse up is recieving benefit from it still, by making you prudently avoid firing. You can't just switch off Feedback Pulse on the enemy, which is the contrast with VM.

Pretty sure Tractor Beam has another power that counters it as well... it's another of those Hull powers. I forget the name of it at this moment.

Attack Pattern Omega can also break Tractor Beam, as ahihasi suggests, but that's a LtC bridge officer power. The point of bringing this up is that Polarize Hull has a MUCH narrower application than Science Team does.

Tyken's Rift sucks the energy out of the ship, Science Team doesn't supply energy to the ship. Having an EPS regulator installed makes this point pretty much null and void. Emergency Power To XXX should also fulfill your needs I think, although I do not have those powers to test with.

There's plenty of things to mitigate the effectiveness of power drain abilities, but nothing that completely eliminates them. Unless it's counted as a Science debuff, which I'm unsure of (since the reason it counters Viral Matrix is that VM is a science debuff, which Science Team's description says it removes).

The Subnucleonic Pulse stuns for 3 seconds, interrupting whatever power is activated and then adds an additional amount of time to the current recharge time of powers that are recharging. To which the counter to that is to not have powers recharging, or drop their recharge time (Photonic Officer should in theory help with that if it is an issue).

I'm pretty sure you're incorrect in this; subnucleonic beams from Hirogen NPCs have put all my commands on cooldowns of 10 seconds and (rarely) longer regardless of whether they're recharging or ready to use. I haven't tested if Photonic Officer reduces the effect or not, but that's still not complete elimination like Science Team does for VM.

Aceton Field dramatically reduces the enemy's capability of weapons damage and inflicts radiation damage if that enemy uses energy weapons. The counters to that are simple. For the radiation damage, there are many "healing" abilities available for your usage so I won't even get into that. You can raise your damage potential with just about any of the Attack Pattern powers from Tactical along with the Tactical Debuff Remover of Tactical Team.

Again, this is mitigation, not countering. Though if Tactical Team does sweep Aceton Field, then it in fact has a counter. It'd be odd, because that's an Engineering debuff, not tactical, but I've never tested.
Again, the point was not to complain about the listed abilities, but to show that VM suffers from a uniquely high chance of failure by having an easy counter available that has extensive additional benefits. It is thus, in my opinion, balanced.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 10:51 AM
A few questions for anyone who knows....

1) Are turrets immune to feedback pulse?
2) Does science team 1 and 2 share a common cool down?
3) does attack pattern omega work on yourself or only allies?

thanks