Lt. Commander
Problem. In my early levels, I spent all my skill points maxing out all Ltnt and LC skills, I'm now level 1 Captain...and severely underpowered. have no skill points on Captain..and upon trying the (patrol Cardassian sector) Captain 0 Patrol mission..the first Klingon Bird of prey took a few shots at my Galaxy class ship...obliterated my fore shield!...and took my hull to 23%!...I blew up in seconds..several attempts!
Now..I have mark 7 weapons and Captain level shields...but I just don't have enough skill points to make a difference.
I'm very new to MMO's...with this being my first. I was unnaware that I should have concentrated on specific areas with the points. Having picked an engineer..I thought all the abilities available had to be maxed...so when getting to Captain level 1...it became clear that not every skill can be improoved. My only hope now (now that I'm totally useless in any and all Captain level missions) is that there is some sort of reset (or re-train) for our characters!
I'm annoyed..and upset that my character is potentially damamged beyond repair. I do not want to start again from level 1 to work towards Captaincy again! loosing this character...and the Many hours (play time at 7 days..total!) I would give up...and loose my 12 months pre paid year!..I just wouldn't have the will to play it again from scratch. Some people fly through to admiral in no time...but for me..the game is huge...and way too much to want to repeat..each person is different. Anyone got any help or advice on this issue! is there a re-train skill option? can we remedy this situation without loosing out on storylines I'd really like to play...and are there any plans to bring out a re-train ability (maybe at a cost) for those who made this mistake?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I guess a reskill system will be implanted - but it has no priorety now.
Cryptic wont be so foolish to loose Players just because they screwed up the Skilling not knowing (like you)
that there are not enough points for all or spending them in stuff they didnt know what it does..

Patience and sorrry for my english im doing my best ^^
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
To be honest, it doesn't sound like you screwed up your spec that bad at all. The Lieutenant and Lt Commander skills are the cheapest and most broadly valuable skills to buy. In my opinion, it is worth getting most of them. The later skills, Commander, Captain and Admiral rank are very specialized. You should cherry pick them and only invest points in the few that really benefit your playstyle. They are all far too expensive to get very many of them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure I understand . . . you spent the points you earned as a Lt. Commander and Commander on Lt. Commander and Commander skills? Or you're Captain five and spent points earned as a Captain on Lt. Commander and Commander skills?

If you're Captain 1 and wanted to save points to spend on Captain skills you're out of luck. You have to spend all the points that you earn in each rank in order to be promoted to the next rank; you're not promoted based on skill points earned, you're promoted based on skill points spent. As such, you're in the same boat as everyone else, and your character isn't gimped.

The game does become progressively more difficult at each tier, and you may find that you need to adjust your tactics and BO usage accordingly. I'm loathe to use the words 'learn to play,' but you may need to take time to consider your tactics.

As far as a skill cap, I'm not sure you understand. If the skill cap were removed, you would continue to earn skill points after achieving Admiral 5, and as such would allow you to go back and purchase ever single skill to maximum, if you're willing to put in enough time after you max out your level. The effect of this would be to destroy any choices that would differentiate characters at the Admiral level, and force the devs to either listen to the elite players complain that the game is too easy at max level, or adjust the difficulty to make it nearly impossible for newly promoted Admirals. Yes, there are many on this forum that want to be able to buy every skill to maximum, but to do so would defeat the purpose of a skill based system. You admit to being new to MMOs, take the time to learn about them before you pass judgement on them. There are very few second and third generation MMOs that don't force you to make choices when building your character, because to make every character the same makes the game less interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolle
I'm not sure I understand . . . you spent the points you earned as a Lt. Commander and Commander on Lt. Commander and Commander skills? Or you're Captain five and spent points earned as a Captain on Lt. Commander and Commander skills?.
Did you forget their is a rank called Commander between Captain and Lieutenant Commander? He's saying he spent no points on Commander skills. Only Lieutenant and Lieutenant Commander.

But that doesn't really matter too much. To the OP. You will not magically explode because you didn't spend points in Efficiency or some damage type. I suspect you are fighting a much higher level mob in a DSE, a bugged high level mob in a mission, or you are exaggerating like many do and you actually just ran straight at an enemy in a T4 cruiser without reinforcing your shields letting him hull you.
The mobs do indeed do damage at captain level, you actually need to use your defensive skills.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proletariat12
Did you forget their is a rank called Commander between Captain and Lieutenant Commander? He's saying he spent no points on Commander skills. Only Lieutenant and Lieutenant Commander.
Reading comprehension ftw . . . I stand corrected.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
As far as a skill cap, I'm not sure you understand. If the skill cap were removed, you would continue to earn skill points after achieving Admiral 5, and as such would allow you to go back and purchase ever single skill to maximum, if you're willing to put in enough time after you max out your level. The effect of this would be to destroy any choices that would differentiate characters at the Admiral level, and force the devs to either listen to the elite players complain that the game is too easy at max level, or adjust the difficulty to make it nearly impossible for newly promoted Admirals. Yes, there are many on this forum that want to be able to buy every skill to maximum, but to do so would defeat the purpose of a skill based system. You admit to being new to MMOs, take the time to learn about them before you pass judgement on them. There are very few second and third generation MMOs that don't force you to make choices when building your character, because to make every character the same makes the game less interesting.
I know I shouldn't ... but meh here we go:

You are wrong on that one! You create a different character whether you have a cap or not based on career, ship class, consoles, weaponry, kits and most significant BO Skills.
You have to choose your 'space build' in terms of which BO skills to purchase, the same applies to ground with kits. That's the way it was intended, that's the way it would work. The skill points themselves just make you better in using skills you're stuck with (and some basic passive boni) they don't form a unique character. Even if you max out every skill you will just be as good as you can limited by your desicions in equipment and personell. You get no unique abilities via skill point distribution you couldn't get from another source (i.e. rare officers).

I'm just saying you have no point in argumenting that no skill cap would make every character the same. That's like saying every sword guy in a fantasy type MMO is the same (WoW comparison: Warrior = Paladin = Rogue = Hunter). Just because you could skill everything you still couldn't use every ability. The decision where to specialize in just lies within other choices - the traditional talent tree (which STO lacks).

Furthermore, it is my opinion that the skill cap needs to be destroyed!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 01:00 AM
I get it, you want to be awesome at everything; you need not explain.

Alas, to allow everyone to have every skill at maximum simply doesn't make for a good game. Your example of WoW reinforces my point. Not every character with a sword is the same, they're broken up into classes. Yet, there still exists differentiation within said classes. While each individual class has a base set of abilities, you're forced to pick and choose, with limited points, other abilities which have the potential to differentiate you from others that have chosen the same class.

Since you're dragging other MMOs into the discussion, I'll point out the irony . . . back in the EQ1 days when every character of a given class was exactly the same, players complained endlessly that there was no way for them to differentiate themselves from the rest of the player base. Thus, the limited point skill system was born. Now we meet STO and everyone is whining that they're forced to pick and choose skills that might differentiate them from the rest of the player base with *gasp* limited points! How entirely unreasonable.

One thing I've observed in the years that I've been playing MMOs, it's generally the companies that don't give in to every whine the players can come up with that ultimately succeed. Brad McQuaid once said that the players don't know what they want, and on a macro level, I believe that's true.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 03:30 PM
And as I said I would agree if STO had one of those systems. It does not.

And as long at the skill system stays as it is, the only diversity you're going to get is the difference in weapons used (since you're probably going to limit yourself in those weapon types you invested points in).

You could achieve that as well without the whole system. That's my whole point. If I were the same class as you, fly the same ship w/ same equipment as you and had the same BO abilities chosen but different skill point builds, tell me any difference between us besides efficiency.

It does not change in any way the tactics you and I would employ. There would be a percentual difference in efficiency, and that's what this skill system reduces our 'diversity' in STO: a number

I'll respect that you don't agree with my opinion but it won't change because a skill cap in STO is useless, as long as all I get from investing skillpoints are passive boni for weapons/abilities and training opportunities which I could get from other sources.

-Oh and besides ... this is complaining, not whining
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Quote:
I get it, you want to be awesome at everything; you need not explain.

Alas, to allow everyone to have every skill at maximum simply doesn't make for a good game. Your example of WoW reinforces my point. Not every character with a sword is the same, they're broken up into classes. Yet, there still exists differentiation within said classes. While each individual class has a base set of abilities, you're forced to pick and choose, with limited points, other abilities which have the potential to differentiate you from others that have chosen the same class.

Since you're dragging other MMOs into the discussion, I'll point out the irony . . . back in the EQ1 days when every character of a given class was exactly the same, players complained endlessly that there was no way for them to differentiate themselves from the rest of the player base. Thus, the limited point skill system was born. Now we meet STO and everyone is whining that they're forced to pick and choose skills that might differentiate them from the rest of the player base with *gasp* limited points! How entirely unreasonable.

One thing I've observed in the years that I've been playing MMOs, it's generally the companies that don't give in to every whine the players can come up with that ultimately succeed. Brad McQuaid once said that the players don't know what they want, and on a macro level, I believe that's true.
unfortunately you seem to not grasp the point of STOs skill system. Simply put having all skills at 9/9 does not make any character more powerful than any other character. It allows every character to to be more diverse in its ability to pick and choose what ship, equipment, and BO skills that players decides to use at that time. Forget all the other games, it comes down to the fact that STO's skill system was designed to eventually allow for every skill to be at 9/9. The decision made by cryptic to cap this skill system wasnt made for the benefit of charcter diversity, or to keep players from having uber powerful characters(which isnt even an issue since you can only benefit from the skills based on what equipment, ship and boff skils being used at the time). This decision is solely based on cryptics idea of not wanting players to continue to gain skill points so that at some future point when they raise the lvl and skill cap players wont be able to just jump to the max lvl because they had a huge stock pile of skill points.

While this in itself is not a bad idea, it execution like much of everything they have done with STO is just horrible. The entire skill system is simply broken and needs to be completely redone from scratch, especially with the implementation of a skill cap. This entire disscussion was the largest thread this forum has seen since beta, and will continure to be debated till the skill system is fixed if ever.

Personally I believe the skill cap was only brought in so that when they finally intrduce a respec to STO, (which isnt needed if they return to a uncapped system, allowing for a max of 9/9 in all skills, not a endless amount of skill points) they can add in a micro transactionfor it to the c-store just like they did in champions online.

To the OP. I have yet to meet anyone who is not frustrated with the skill system, and who havent made some kind of mistake along the way when lvling their character. Everyone is waiting on a respec system to be added to the game so they can fix those mistakes, myself included. Its just a matter of being patient, if you have any patience left, for all the issue STO has and Cryptic's seemingly lack of ability or interest in getting them fixed.