Lt. Commander
# 1 Forum Inbox Spamming
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
My private message inbox is overloaded with spammed messages and I can't delete them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
report them as spam, it'll ignore the player, delete the message, and hopefully cryptic will do something about that account

if you click delete and they don't delete right away then just wait a few minutes, i think there is some kind of delay with the messaging system, it happened to me earlier
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I just put a ticket in about this yesterday, I have the same problem with spammers, but I can't report them... When I right click on their names, it comes up with a windows style dialog box that doesn't have a report spam or ignore person feature, and there's no option to do it from your inbox...

As far as deleting the messages, check their boxes, then click delete, count to 5, then navigate somewhere else, your inbox should be empty after that... There does seem to be a problem for me that when I click delete, the star that shows up telling you it's "working" (kinda spins around in a circle) comes up, but will never go away... So when I navigate away and come back, my inbox is empty... I'd like some clarification on repoting these people myself, though, as I am an avid spam reporter in-game...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum0r View Post
I just put a ticket in about this yesterday, I have the same problem with spammers, but I can't report them... When I right click on their names, it comes up with a windows style dialog box that doesn't have a report spam or ignore person feature, and there's no option to do it from your inbox...
in the game you can right click and report them as spam, on the website there is a button for it when you open the message, i actually just found out about it today lol
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2010, 06:21 PM
So, I need to open the message to see the button??? Wouldn't that invite more spam from the original spammer spreading my email account as "active" to other spammers??
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2010, 06:23 PM
as far as i know there is no way for them to detect if you are opening the message, they send it the same way you or i would send a message
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Okie Dokie, I'll try that for a while and see if I make any progress.... I'm sure the mail client operates differently than standard email, I just as a matter of habit DO NOT open mail that looks like spam, I accidentally clicked on a spam mail on my hotmail account a few years ago and I got royally spammed for like three months after that... It eventually died off again, but I really didn't want to go through that here... I wish Cryptic would put that report spam button in your inbox since you can see from the title of the email what it's about...
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I managed to clear out my inbox... for now... LOL!

Ken
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum0r View Post
So, I need to open the message to see the button??? Wouldn't that invite more spam from the original spammer spreading my email account as "active" to other spammers??
I don't believe the STO messaging system allows the sender to see whether a message has been opened or not.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-04-2010, 12:51 AM
/whitelist_emails 1

Works well, I also use /anon - not showing in who lists means no spam tells