Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
ive been trying to understand the actual modification that this skill does to your damage or how exactly it works... judging by the way the skill reads it says it adds XX dmg of whatever type to your attack, and reduces your damage by XX%? Trying to get actual numbers is a little difficult out of just shooting targets, so i was wondering if any1 has any info about this skill?

What kind of damage does it actually do?
Does it simply convert your weapon damage to hit their hull instead?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-23-2010, 05:14 PM
From what I understand, Directed Energy Modulation increases damage done to an enemy's shields. As in it helps drop enemy shields more quickly. I could be wrong though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sineris View Post
From what I understand, Directed Energy Modulation increases damage done to an enemy's shields. As in it helps drop enemy shields more quickly. I could be wrong though.
This is completely wrong, read the skill.

It lowers your overall damage by 15% which is hugely significant, but diversifies your damage TYPE across the spectrum.

If you are shooting disruptors against an opponent who has HIGH resists VS disruptors, using this skill will allow you to bypass much of their resistance....in theory, since you are now shooting all sort of energy types at them. It hedges your damage across the spectrum.

In all my uses it didnt help at all. Granted this was vs NPC and since there is no combat log parsing, no way to know for sure. Plus there is no easy way to tell someones resistances in PvP. Would be great if science officers sensor scan actually told them useful information about a ship....E.G. what gear they had equipped.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Huh? I thought it was supposed to do 15% less dmg, but most or all your dmg goes straight to hull. where are you getting the whole weapon type change? If that's the case, that skill blooows.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
From my limited experience with DEM I, it was about the only skill that allowed me to do direct damage to hull regardless of shield strength. Which makes it a counter in PvP for Reverse Shield Polarity. Although at the time it wasn't enough to do serious damage over being better off targetting someone else. Seemed kinda pointless in PvE as you take shields down quick enough anyway.

Haven't gone back to try higher ranks of it, so it might be nice at DEM III against a multiple RSP foe..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonelbe
Huh? I thought it was supposed to do 15% less dmg, but most or all your dmg goes straight to hull. where are you getting the whole weapon type change? If that's the case, that skill blooows.
Try reading the skill effect in your power tray for starters. It does not penetrate shields at all
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-24-2010, 02:02 AM
It has to, because there's no other way to explain my being ripped apart through 75%-full shields on my Sci vessel. There's no way in hell torps are killing me through shields, with bleedthrough through a resilient or covariant shield for that matter, especially considering I pretty much always have Hazard Emitters running 11.7K hull heals on myself. I'll test it for myself though once I pimp out my Assault Cruiser because I included DEM II in my build. I also have the Admiral skill for DEM III, but I'll have to compare Extend Shields III even if DEM III does turn out to be ridiculously badass.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonelbe
It has to, because there's no other way to explain my being ripped apart through 75%-full shields on my Sci vessel. There's no way in hell torps are killing me through shields, with bleedthrough through a resilient or covariant shield for that matter, especially considering I pretty much always have Hazard Emitters running 11.7K hull heals on myself. I'll test it for myself though once I pimp out my Assault Cruiser because I included DEM II in my build. I also have the Admiral skill for DEM III, but I'll have to compare Extend Shields III even if DEM III does turn out to be ridiculously badass.
Yes... yes torps can do that. Very likely you got blown up by an escort running high yield 3 transphasics and antiproton beam weapons. The antiproton proc is a chance to go straight through your shields. Roughly the same thing with transphasics.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-24-2010, 09:27 AM
All Torps do 25% damage to shields, except transphasic, they do 50% to shields. They do less damage, however.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digglez
Try reading the skill effect in your power tray for starters. It does not penetrate shields at all
For someone so matter-of-fact, you certainly are wrong. At least you're correct about the 15% damage debuff. However, the 15% energy damage you lose is added on as the additional damage by multiple energy types, which in theory at least, constitute the lost DPS. The additional damage does direct damage to target's hull.

The skill is bad enough as it is, but if it worked as you're suggesting it did, it would be completely worthless. The only time DEM is really useful at all is if you have an opponent who managed to get their shields down just before dying, and is flying around with ~5% hull strength. No one in their right mind wants to split their overall dps between shields and hull in any other scenario. There are far too many ways to regen either, and spreading dps across shields and hull is inefficient in the long run. Unless you have an entire team of beam boats using DEM, that is.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:11 AM.