Lt. Commander
# 91
02-24-2010, 12:21 AM
part of the wow thing is that you CAN turn off exp so you don't advance...
why would you do that ?

BG twink guilds
arena guilds

they want toons in each lvl class
1-9
10-19

ect..

also a bunch of the lowbie wow toons are bank bots
lvl 1 walking talking storage facility
Lt. Commander
# 92
02-24-2010, 05:06 AM
Devs, could we please get a clarification on this. It has me a little worried.
Lt. Commander
# 93
02-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Not sure what the context of this statistic or quote is, but here are some known factors in the game currently:

-Each ship has NPC bridge officers and crew, who must all be of lower rank than the player (barring bugs).

-On average, there are far more NPC bridge officers and crew than players. Most likely the ratio is greater than 1:100 (player:crew).

Thus, even if the entire player base is at the Rear Admiral rank, this is still <1% of the game population, taking into account players + NPC crew.
Lt. Commander
# 94
02-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
So I have been a defender of you guys, because I know how hard it is to make a game, and I know about all the junk you had to go through to get this out, and I still will defend you.

But I have a bone to pick. I'm the last STOked interview zinc ( I think it was him ) stated that 1% of the population were admirals. so this can mean one of two things, we have a crazy big population, or that number was ( I wouldn't say made up) a major understatement. So I'm calling you out. ( in a nice way ) which is it, or what is the real percentage for the people who are admirals?

thanks in advance.
They forgot to mention 97% Gold spammers from wow, 2% mixed level players, 1% Admirals.
Lt. Commander
# 95
02-24-2010, 05:22 AM
I think people forget that forumites are a very tiny minority of the overall gaming population. Not only that; but we're also - even the casual forumgoers - generally more invested in the game. After all, we care enough to speak up one way or the other.

1% doesn't surprise me at all actually - STO has a very sizable population. Two nights ago at 3am there were something like 48 instances of Sol starbase. ... 48. 15 people per instance. This being a place you only visit to sell, get promotions, and use the bank. That doesn't include all the other sectors, starbases, inside missions, etc...

While I'm sure the number has increased (it was FYI "3-days ago") according to Zinc; around 1% isn't all that surprising at all. Most people just do not play 5+ hours a day; let alone 8+ like I do. (Yes, I play way, way too much... but I know I do and admit it.)
Lt. Commander
# 96
02-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Why the worry? Lack of endgame, fast leveling, etc , etc has no effect on how or why you enjoy the game does it? Play casual and enjoy the storyline, I say.
Lt. Commander
# 97
02-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
Not sure what the context of this statistic or quote is, but here are some known factors in the game currently:

-Each ship has NPC bridge officers and crew, who must all be of lower rank than the player (barring bugs).

-On average, there are far more NPC bridge officers and crew than players. Most likely the ratio is greater than 1:100 (player:crew).

Thus, even if the entire player base is at the Rear Admiral rank, this is still <1% of the game population, taking into account players + NPC crew.
Didn't knew NPC now count as players... :p
Lt. Commander
# 98
02-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
well first is the fact that he stated that he didn't have the official print out. I really want to find out what it is, because it seems really low.
Just because he didn't have the official print-out and exact number doesn't mean they had not been watching trends up until that point.

To pretend that Cryptic was completely unaware of the eventual end of the content for some of the higher-end players is not really fruitful. You can be assured that at least a few people at Cryptic realized the 80h content would eventually be a problem, and were interested to see, perhaps on a weekly basis, how the player base was progressing up through the trees. It might have even been a standard bit they got in Monday morning meetings.

He's not an amateur when it comes to dealing with media. I would wager his guess was more accurate than the other guesses on this board, but we'll have to wait for some kind of official confirmation on that.
Lt. Commander
# 99
02-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Quote:
So I have been a defender of you guys, because I know how hard it is to make a game, and I know about all the junk you had to go through to get this out, and I still will defend you.

But I have a bone to pick. I'm the last STOked interview zinc ( I think it was him ) stated that 1% of the population were admirals. so this can mean one of two things, we have a crazy big population, or that number was ( I wouldn't say made up) a major understatement. So I'm calling you out. ( in a nice way ) which is it, or what is the real percentage for the people who are admirals?

thanks in advance.
Have to say this is nohing new for cryptic, when there still running COH they would offten pull the "only 1% of the population is at cap" out when questioned abou lack of content for its high lvl players.

Its to justifiy in there minds anyway why they dont have end game of high lvl player contnet.

We all then knew the numbers where rubbish and even though sto is new i still know 1% is also rubbish
Lt. Commander
# 100
02-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
Didn't knew NPC now count as players... :p
Yeah, this.

It would be leaving the "streching the truth" region that they were in when we got the "1 million subscribers/oops 1 million forums accounts/oops 1 million forum accounts across two games" crap, and entering into "I am just going to flat out lie to you here, okay, so pay attention?" territory.