Lt. Commander
# 101
02-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Admiral here, and haven't rushed through content at all. Took it casual, did and read every misison I could find.
Lt. Commander
# 102
02-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
So I have been a defender of you guys, because I know how hard it is to make a game, and I know about all the junk you had to go through to get this out, and I still will defend you.

But I have a bone to pick. I'm the last STOked interview zinc ( I think it was him ) stated that 1% of the population were admirals. so this can mean one of two things, we have a crazy big population, or that number was ( I wouldn't say made up) a major understatement. So I'm calling you out. ( in a nice way ) which is it, or what is the real percentage for the people who are admirals?

thanks in advance.
I'm max level 8 days after headstart, but I think his number is actually accurate if I compare it with my fleet. Right now we have about 20 admirals in the fleet, which is far higher then 1% of our fleet number, but we also have a lot of fanatic people in our fleet and the majority just takes their time with leveling up.

I'm also not sure if the alternative characters are counted in Zincs numbers, but I'm guessing that they are. In my case I made 3 alt chars which are all below level 10, so that would drag the number down a lot as well if everybody did that.

Also keep in mind that it is the admirals that don't have much to do and are more likely to post on the forums then the people that are still leveling up. Those people got better stuff to do then spend their time on the forums. :p
While I was leveling I was very inactive here but now I returned and I'm more active again on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 103
02-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
Yeah, this.

It would be leaving the "streching the truth" region that they were in when we got the "1 million subscribers/oops 1 million forums accounts/oops 1 million forum accounts across two games" crap, and entering into "I am just going to flat out lie to you here, okay, so pay attention?" territory.
hmmmm nah, I won't bite on that, am pretty sure they don't count pets. SOE would..but
I don't think cryptic would do that. The number is prob a product of the fact the
active subscription numbers have not had time to 'correct' itself yet.
The free month is not even over with.
Lt. Commander
# 104
02-24-2010, 06:24 AM
In the early days of **** launch, a huge number of posts were from level 50 people complaining about endgame. But the population stats were updated on line, and you could clearly see that the top level characters were < 1% of the population. So it seems plausible to me.
Lt. Commander
# 105
02-24-2010, 06:32 AM
I think the Bias of a lot of 'free' accounts (preordered, then canceled, then ordered again etc) who didnt bother leveling past Ensign could easily skew these statistics.

How about you take off any characters under level 3? That will exclude the majority of gold farmers alts and alts made purely to try out 'looks'.

I can't help but feel that if you did this the figures would have shifted a massive amount.

I have 70+ gold spammers ignored, conservative estimate would say that most of those didn't bother to level past the minimum used for the tutorial so they could spam Sol spacedock.

Lets look at my fleet, 12 Admirals.... Almost 20%, in under a month....
Lt. Commander
# 106
02-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Think about it...
1% of what.

50.000 Players -> 1% 500 Admiral
500.000 Players -> 1% 5000 Admiral

seems quite true for me.
Lt. Commander
# 107
02-24-2010, 06:35 AM
How are you guys levelling so fast?

Please share your secrets.

I just hit Capt 1 yesterday. Do you grind exp missions? DSEs? What?
Lt. Commander
# 108
02-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
That's crazy. I've been playing since headstart, on average about 3 hours a day, and I'm Com 2. With work, paying at least some attention to the wife, and not dealing with kids, that is a serious investment of time.

You rear admirals make me think of the comic book guy from the simpsons. I know that probably isn't fair, but I can't imagine how you got there so fast without being basement dwellers.
This is so right. I enjoy this game a lot, and have been playing extra-fast (also since Headstart) to try to keep up with my brother, who only works part-time and so plays more. I have only one character and he's Commander 5.

I think that the prevalence on these boards of the "Comic Book Guys" explains a lot of things, like why a Death Penalty gets any support at all. I can guarantee that almost everyone who doesn't post here regularly, i.e. 99% of the player base, would hate a Death Penalty. We're not Admirals. We're not spamming Skill Points. But we're having a great time playing the game our way. We are the Silent Majority.
Lt. Commander
# 109
02-24-2010, 06:40 AM
(( deja-vu post .... is this the same thread as the other 1% one ? ))

geeze...and I thought I was being geeky, playing way too much.

I have one Captain 1 ( just turned about a half hour ago ), and a commander 6 alt .......

guess I am not too "geeky-game-all-day" after all.....

....got a long way to go for admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 110
02-24-2010, 06:53 AM
I ran a small survey in game the other day. I went to all sectors blocks, all social zones, all exploration zones, and noted how many players there were (multiplying the number of instances by the average number of player in each of those instances). I don't have time to give all the numbers here, but over 6317 players i counted, 88 were in Gamma Orionis or B'Tran Cluster, which is 1.4%. So there were at least that much at admiral level (as of Sunday around 4:00 AM GMT). If you add Zeta-Andromeda, the ratio goes up to 2.6%.

It's worth what it's worth (probably not rely reliable) but it says what is says: including admirals that were not currently in those zones (spending time in social places, Zenas expanse or PvP), there are probably closer to 3% or 4% admirals in the game currently.

That being said, it's not 10% or more. Not yet. It's just a few percent.