Lt. Commander
# 41
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
That's crazy. I've been playing since headstart, on average about 3 hours a day, and I'm Com 2. With work, paying at least some attention to the wife, and not dealing with kids, that is a serious investment of time.

You rear admirals make me think of the comic book guy from the simpsons. I know that probably isn't fair, but I can't imagine how you got there so fast without being basement dwellers.
You must have a lot of downtime. I'm taking my time and I'm Captain-1 with 67 hours played, so I'm playing about as much as you. You "if you're ahead of me, you're no lifers" should really give it a rest.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabasquaia View Post
I just dislike being misled. If they can't say something straightforward they shouldn't say anything at all.
Well he did say he didn't have the official numbers, so it was more of a guess then lie.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-23-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm still only Commander 6, but I dawdle and enjoy the ride.

MMOs were never meant to be a Warp 9.98 rush to see how fast you can make the LEVELUP!! graphic fire off.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRomulus View Post
Yes, but it was misleading to say the least. They released that info right at launch, right? Everyone thought they were talking about subs, and that's exactly what they wanted us to think.
To be honest though, I could see it being that high. It was the PC best seller in the UK, 2nd place on Gamestop's bestseller list during preorder, 3rd place at launch, my local Gamestop ran out of preorder keys, and according to another gamestop in my area, they got a lot of keys. At the very least, I could see the game selling 500k copies as the devs said they would consider 200-300k a success and then they said there were more players than they expected and increased server capacity by 75% (according to the official STO blog). 300k + 75% = 525k
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QLanatir
That might have been quite a few twinks and secondary characters there, since the max level guys that have nothing to do rolled twinks.
I'm guilty of this as well, but that would also imply that the game is appealing enough for people to play through again as a twink/alt of a different officer type.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabasquaia View Post
I just dislike being misled. If they can't say something straightforward they shouldn't say anything at all.
Fair enough, but short of releasing the information about all server populations, it's quite possible and easy to interpret in different ways. And we are talking about the first month still. "Inactive" accounts really don't exist was the point I was trying to get through.

Yes it is easy to level up, taking that ~1% of characters have leveled up to RA5, doesn't change that it is easy to level up.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
I'm guilty of this as well, but that would also imply that the game is appealing enough for people to play through again as a twink/alt of a different officer type.
Not necessarily play through, simply create a twink/alt. Altoholics can tell you there is a distinct difference .
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I just remembered actually... in another thread the other day someone said that the 1 million number also included Champions Online accounts as well. They found that the latest registrant to the STO forums was account #600,000 something.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Let's do basic math here on the 1% number.

Somewhere they said they were expecting 250,000 users and had "far exceeded that". I'd say the 250,000 number is safe to use. .01 X 250,000 = 2500 admirals. Yea I'd say there probably aren't many more than that from the times I've paid attention in game in the past weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
I'm still only Commander 6, but I dawdle and enjoy the ride.

MMOs were never meant to be a Warp 9.98 rush to see how fast you can make the LEVELUP!! graphic fire off.

Come to think of it, I spent almost 40 minutes just trying to exploit a geographic flaw of andoria. I wanted to get to the top of one of the peaks. Why? I have no idea. It was something besides mindless, endless, repetitive PEW PEW. The entire process of level up is fairly unrewarding, until you get a new ship. So, why try? I'd rather go for immersion, even if it's only in my mind.

Dancing with an andorian hottie on Risa is 80x more rewarding than killing 5/6 orion cruisers on the same repetitive grind that I played the night before.