Lt. Commander
# 51
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Come to think of it, I spent almost 40 minutes just trying to exploit a geographic flaw of andoria. I wanted to get to the top of one of the peaks. Why? I have no idea. It was something besides mindless, endless, repetitive PEW PEW. The entire process of level up is fairly unrewarding, until you get a new ship. So, why try? I'd rather go for immersion, even if it's only in my mind.

Dancing with an andorian hottie on Risa is 80x more rewarding than killing 5/6 orion cruisers on the same repetitive grind that I played the night before.
This.

Is exactly why I'm still comm. 6

I love running around the social hubs. I've actually met a fair amount of interesting people that way.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
taking a guess here.........A GUESS

1% is TECHNICALLY correct, do keep in mind that a large portion of folks
that bought the game...are no longer playing.

So 1% overall are Admirals, with 60-70% of the original purchasers not playing,
so they are not adm. either.

in a nut shell, 1 % Adm with current subscriptions, 5-8% adm. of the current still playing
base.

>>>> this is all just a guess<<<<
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-23-2010, 07:14 PM
I think some people are missing the obvious.

If this was a sampling purely based on number of characters, not number of accounts with admirals.. many people who are admirals already have atleast one alt, if not 2.

So it isnt unreasonable to say that only 1% of the population is admiral when for every admiral, you have 1-2 characters BELOW admiral on the SAME account. Then you add ontop of that those who don't have an admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm sure this is how they came up with the number:

They counted gold spammers as n00bies.
They counted unleveled alts.
They counted unleveled alts which are used by someone who quit.
They DID NOT count leveled RAs which are used by someone who quit.
They counted all the non RAs from Open Beta and Closed Beta.
They didn't count all the RAs from Open Beta and closed Beta because that just wouldn't make sense.
They counted deleted alts (I have 1 RA, 2 alts, like 5 deleted alts for example).
The counted forum non-subscribers as non-RAs.
They forgot to carry the 1.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfly
I think some people are missing the obvious.

If this was a sampling purely based on number of characters, not number of accounts with admirals.. many people who are admirals already have atleast one alt, if not 2.

So it isnt unreasonable to say that only 1% of the population is admiral when for every admiral, you have 1-2 characters BELOW admiral on the SAME account. Then you add ontop of that those who don't have an admiral.
Yea if they are counting alts then its probably a closer figure. But its not really representative of the true nature of the game though.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
The interview is from the STOked programme from Jupiter Broadcasting. Excellent show and probably best episode yet! Lots of good info about the character creator. The interview starts at about the 20 minute mark.

Here is a thread with both the link in the OP and I have actually a shorthand written transcript I did in there.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...49#post2193049

Cheers!
Helpful_Canuck
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I have 2 RA5 and 1 more almost complete. i wanted 1 of eatch class
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyyy View Post
I have 2 RA5 and 1 more almost complete. i wanted 1 of eatch class
Oh my... you must be that 1 of 5 in the top 30 players he was talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-23-2010, 07:56 PM
On what grounds are you doubting his numbers? Other than idle speculation and your own anecdotal research, that is...
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Well I'm back... class was canceled because my instructor's mother is ill or something, bless him, and the other back up instructor had a conference he had to be at so he had to catch a flight, and we didn't find out about class being canceled until 5 minutes after it was to start.

so what do we know so far.

well it may or may not be an understatement.
We know he didn't have the official papers on it.
and we know know he did a guesstimate on it .

anything else?