Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
What is the deal with Klingon Bird of Prey (NPC)?? Any time I fight them lately I end up taking massive hull damage and quite often get destroyed within the first few seconds of the fight.

This happens, it appears, because their torpedos are doing massive damage to shields. When I hit a ship with a High Yield torpedo spread it does some damage to shields but not all that much. Where the BoP HY takes my shields down almost entirely in one shot.

I'm currently flying a 'Defiant' class ship but this has been an issue in several other ships I've used.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
hmm not seen a single NPC High yield take my shields down fully, a group of them sure, but considering my hy will take down their shields as well thats just standard...

You upgraded your shields lately? Or using low cap high regen ones?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I have shields with about the same regen as the ones available at the explore badge vendor for my level. So I assume they are at least OK.

MY High Yields do not take down enemy shields by more than about half at the most. These BoPs are taking far more than that off mine.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I use covariant shields... I had a mission reward resilient set with very high regen - they were awful. Yea, they regen quickly, but they fail like wet tissue paper. And though I have no proof since I'm not into number crunching and/or theorycrafting, I suspect that having a much higher initial capacity makes it much more effective when balancing remaining shield power - since you would have so much more to draw upon. Could be wrong...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITF_Cho
I use covariant shields... I had a mission reward resilient set with very high regen - they were awful. Yea, they regen quickly, but they fail like wet tissue paper. And though I have no proof since I'm not into number crunching and/or theorycrafting, I suspect that having a much higher initial capacity makes it much more effective when balancing remaining shield power - since you would have so much more to draw upon. Could be wrong...
Depends... Shield balancing is quite hard to test. What is for sure is that shield power only increases the regen of the shields, so going with covariant may be good for short fights but you'll probably end up worse with a longer one. In a science ship though you'd probably want a covariant shield anyway since you get a huge bonus to shield hp and so you're going to run with a lot of shield repair abilities.

Honestly in higher tiers NPCs (and players) do so much damage that shields are going down all the time anyway. I run with regeneratives on my cruiser because even when they go down they pop up with big chunks of life that work very well as a buffer against torpedoes. Also, regen works equally on all shields, so, as long as the shields are not full, regenerative imho gets the best out of equalizing since you get hp to share even in the quarters that aren't damaged.

In the end for equalizing it's a problem of whether the covariants have enough buffer to share among shields to outlive the regenerative shield gain on all facings. I went from resilient shields to regenerative (resilients already have more regen than covariant) and noticed such a great increase in survivability I could hardly believe it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoOBac View Post
Depends... Shield balancing is quite hard to test. What is for sure is that shield power only increases the regen of the shields, so going with covariant may be good for short fights but you'll probably end up worse with a longer one. In a science ship though you'd probably want a covariant shield anyway since you get a huge bonus to shield hp and so you're going to run with a lot of shield repair abilities.

Honestly in higher tiers NPCs (and players) do so much damage that shields are going down all the time anyway. I run with regeneratives on my cruiser because even when they go down they pop up with big chunks of life that work very well as a buffer against torpedoes. Also, regen works equally on all shields, so, as long as the shields are not full, regenerative imho gets the best out of equalizing since you get hp to share even in the quarters that aren't damaged.

In the end for equalizing it's a problem of whether the covariants have enough buffer to share among shields to outlive the regenerative shield gain on all facings. I went from resilient shields to regenerative (resilients already have more regen than covariant) and noticed such a great increase in survivability I could hardly believe it.
Interesting - it's definitely something to think about...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
TO does have a point. I noticed as well that klingon BoPs seem to do significantly more dmg than any other frigate-type ships out there.
They're also way more fragile, so I guess it's intended that way.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Someone once calculated that over the long term, Regen shields actually have more shields than Covariant shields. I'm not sure the validity, but someone said it somewhere.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes I have seen this. Wish I had taken screenshots. At RA5 against 0 BoPs their hyt2 salvo is ridiculously overpowered. A single torpedo out of the volley of 3 will do upwards of 8k damage but the worst part is they will do nearly 1000 dmg even to full shields. Having 3 bops each fire a volley of hyt2 photons at me has been able to blow away a shield quarter and take my hull down to ~50% before I could do anything.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamGoddessLindsey View Post
Someone once calculated that over the long term, Regen shields actually have more shields than Covariant shields. I'm not sure the validity, but someone said it somewhere.
True, but it takes 1-2 mins of constant "in combat" state (depending on power level from 50 - 100 to shields) to have regen shields have more effective shielding than covariant.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18 AM.