Lt. Commander
# 11
02-24-2010, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
Wow, I really don't think my mind could adapt to that. I already try to scroll the view out more then they let me. But from responses it still is unclear. But if it is as pictured above, I wont use it myself, but I give a thumbs up for flexibility and listening to players.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
I'm pretty sure they meant space combat ala bridge commander. This has been requested since pre-beta. Honestly I was surprised to see it in the survey, Cryptic said (a long time ago) that they tried it and didn't like the result. I'm really curious to see the results of this poll.
Well, I assume it's in the same vein as Zinc's response to the DP question in the latest STOked. They tried it, thought it sucked*, and moved on, but enough people have been clamoring for it that they're going to try and give it another look with that in mind. I'd be much less opposed to adding bridge command than the sorts of DP that the loudest complainers want, though I stand by my assertion that having may not be so pleasing a thing as wanting**.

*From their perspective as people who might want to play the game. Which, really, is always where you should start with something, since you at least know you're designing to the expectations of people that actually exist rather than the fuzzy, self-contradictory results you can get from aggregated market research.

**Shamelessly ripped off from Spock
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
I'd like an heroic bar fists fight like the one in ten forward (TNG: Sarek) or the one in K7 (TOS tribbles). Make it long, make it fun
Indeed - that would be truly awesome <^_^>

Besides, it'd give me an excuse to bust out the martial arts <.<

Hrmm...

As an asside thought; I wonder if in situations like this they could include items that could be picked up like in Champions.

In CO you can throw cars, boulders and the like... what if I we could grab smaller bits of furniture in special scenarios. I'd assume a pure-bar brawl scenario with no other combat would probably force you to be unarmed for obvious reasons - it'd be hilarious to grab a chair and whack someone with it though <'x'>

*Edit*

Something I think I'd add to the Bridge View debate that maybe wasn't initially considered...

What if they did it by adding things like EVE style Orbit distances? I mean the ship can already auto-nav to different systems; so if someone wants to fight in bridge view, this would take out one of the most annoying and complicated parts - keeping the view on the enemy while maneuvering.

Not perfect, but combined with all weapons being auto-fireable, it might make those who want to 'sit in the captain's chair' feel more like they're doing just that. (Myself I prefer the 3rd person; but that's just me.)
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-24-2010, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
And where exactly was the "Get more voice overs" option?
This. Its sad when a TV show (Family Guy) gets more voice over work from ST actors than an officially liscenced game
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-24-2010, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Animal
Wow, I really don't think my mind could adapt to that. I already try to scroll the view out more then they let me. But from responses it still is unclear. But if it is as pictured above, I wont use it myself, but I give a thumbs up for flexibility and listening to players.
I would expect there to be more than just wrapping the Bridge View around the tactical view if they implemented it. Decoupling navigation from the movement keys would be my first expectation, with simple orders like approach/orbit/hold distance and possibly more complex scripted movements. Something similar with firing patterns.

Obviously, the scripts should be available from the standard view, too.

All I'll probably use it for is to be able to be on my bridge messing around wiht things while autopiloting in sector space, tho.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-24-2010, 05:24 AM
I want to change my survey answer then......

I interpreted it as combat "on the bridge"......so I didnt check it. >>>

I dont want batliff slashes on my captains chair.

0_o
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
nice now make one without the ugly grids and we are set
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-24-2010, 05:26 AM
As long as it is an option I can disable, I have no problems with a bridge view of combat.
Never played Bridge Commander, but I dislike the concept of having my view narrowed or infinged upon by having to use the viewscreen. I prefer the third person view of combat that already exists.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Until an immersive, functional bridge control of the ship is in place, it will always feel like that old star trek video game in 1980's arcades. Its neat, dont get me wrong. very retro and novel amid todays more complex game potential, but I dont see it enduring long as it is now. Give us bridges and interiors and breathe life into our ships and there may be hope for this game yet.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-24-2010, 05:36 AM
If combat on the bridge then not interested, but if its bridge comabt from the viewer it might be okay, but would prefer more when navigating between places to have the option to see through bridge as travel there