Lt. Commander
# 21
02-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
As long as it is an option I can disable, I have no problems with a bridge view of combat.
Never played Bridge Commander, but I dislike the concept of having my view narrowed or infinged upon by having to use the viewscreen. I prefer the third person view of combat that already exists.
Actually, the most effective way to play Bridge Commander was from the external ship view.

The ability to command from your bridge in a hands-off way was cool and all, but at all but the easiest difficulty setting it quickly became an object lesson in "if you want something done right, do it yourself".
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Right now, at Cryptic, I imagine a bunch of marketing guys are saying "Well, customers really want Bridge Combat, we need to make this happen," and a bunch of programmers are saying "No way, not possible, never going to happen."

Frankly, Star Trek bridges are very poorly set up for fighting a space battle. The first thing you would do would be to plop a VR helmet on your head to give yourself a simulated external view.
Lt. Commander
in my and my friends' opinion,
ordering and controlling from bridge view alá Bridge Commander,
seeing your bridge officers at work and using their powers/controls over this view,
would be awesome! This would create a better sense of immersion to STO.
raktajino4all
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
I've give my firstborn son for that.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
Someone should do that with proper Photoshop. Really make it look awesome and how we want to see the game.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Animal
I'm unsure as to what this meant. Did this mean combat aka bridge commander, or combat ON the bridge (Ground combat missions)
Because I was unsure I chose a different option.
THAT'S WHAT I WAS WONDERING!

And, that's what I did. I picked the First Contact option due to the vagueness of the bridge commander one.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
THAT'S WHAT I WAS WONDERING!

And, that's what I did. I picked the First Contact option due to the vagueness of the bridge commander one.
I think that was the option I went with also.

PS: Your avatar startles me
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Animal
I think that was the option I went with also.

PS: Your avatar startles me
Do you mean startle in the sense of "I expected something less, but it was startling good", or in the sense of "thousands of centipedes started coming out of the drain while I was showering"?
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
As long as it is an option I can disable, I have no problems with a bridge view of combat.
Never played Bridge Commander, but I dislike the concept of having my view narrowed or infinged upon by having to use the viewscreen. I prefer the third person view of combat that already exists.
I agree...I like space combat the way it is with my ship in a third person perspective. I sincerely hope if they do decide to add a bridge function to space combat you can toggle it on or off.

Space combat in this game is much more enjoyable than bridge commander IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I picked it.

Personally, I would really really enjoy it.
I would also like all the Non combat functionality for the bridge that I can get. And I think it should all be optional. Just to mention some of the ones that stick out in my mind.

Sector space on the view screen, seems to be a no brainer too me.

Hails,contacts, starfleet dialogs all on the view screen.

I want to tell my helmsman set a course for so and so, just like the galaxy map drop down menu is now, and have him ........"GASP" take me there instead of me driving around every little bump in space myself. After all I'm supposed to give orders not carry them out.

I would like my tactical officer to inform me when enemy contacts in sector space are near , and then ask for orders to avoid/engage, instead of random klingon guy asking if I care to join an instance and then throwing me in anyway.

I want a replicator on my ship, not in my pocket.

For me this would help with immersion a ton, I want to feel like a tiny guy in a giant ship, but as of right now I feel like a giant playing with a tiny toy ship.