Lt. Commander
I couldn't find a thread already dedicated to this, so I made one up in appreciation.

The Bat'leth is what makes ground combat. I've found that the several moves you can make using it makes mixtures of move combinations (combos), are a shy away from a type of fighter game, like street fighter or killer instinct, where they employ such a system of combos. Granted they don't actually give you combo points, but if they did, I'd be really raking in the skill points for a three hitter ending with that thing where my character spins it about, then follows it up wit a good old melee button attack, and moving as fast as I can with these controls to the next guy to knock down, or group to throw down. Ever since I discovered it for the 2nd time on DS9 ( I don't remember where my first one went), I've been using it to make the ground combat more, in depth.

Good stuff Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Wonderful for PvE, terrible for PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 07:18 AM
The melee system in PVP is hindered greatly by:

The lack of range
Everyone having multiple knockback abilities
The over abundance of roots/stuns/holds.

Otherwise, yes, I agree. It's great.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Give up my two split beam rifles??? I don't think I could even contemplate that. Seriously though... is the bat'leth a real choice for ground combat? I've seen some really enthusiastic posts on it, but I doubt it can match up to the dmg output of my two split beam exploit weapons, and having my away team equipped with expose weapons and all with knockback.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITF_Cho
Give up my two split beam rifles??? I don't think I could even contemplate that. Seriously though... is the bat'leth a real choice for ground combat? I've seen some really enthusiastic posts on it, but I doubt it can match up to the dmg output of my two split beam exploit weapons, and having my away team equipped with expose weapons and all with knockback.

You can get constant 200-300 flanking finishers with it without using expose/exploit.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 07:33 AM
I can see not using it much in PvE, but in PvP where you don't have a bunch of BOs giving you exposes, the three expose strikes with the Bat'leth is nice for everyone.

Holds and knockbacks true, but I've found that people tend to get in relatively close anyway and people also tend to panic a little when you're whacking away at them in melee.

As a KDF Leasian (sp?) I have my disruptor AND my telepathic attack to follow up with for exploits.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valin_Sterling
I can see not using it much in PvE, but in PvP where you don't have a bunch of BOs giving you exposes, the three expose strikes with the Bat'leth is nice for everyone.

Holds and knockbacks true, but I've found that people tend to get in relatively close anyway and people also tend to panic a little when you're whacking away at them in melee.

As a KDF Leasian (sp?) I have my disruptor AND my telepathic attack to follow up with for exploits.
Some people get close in pvp because they are wanting to hit you with the butt of their rifle for a chance to expose you. While it's true that yes, you can hit these people, youre not accounting for the 4 others behind him spamming CC and expose abilities on you.

A nice tactic I've used has been stealthing, circling around and flanking enemies who are retreating and trying to use cover to heal up. Most of their team is still focuses on the fight in front of them, and because they are already hurt it's over fairly quick.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Bat'leth is great in tier 1 PVP. Beyond that... in Tier 2-5, it becomes nothing more than just an expose inducer. It's because the damage of the higher tier bat'leth models are not scaled correctly to the tier's other personal equipment and shields.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgery
Bat'leth is great in tier 1 PVP. Beyond that... in Tier 2-5, it becomes nothing more than just an expose inducer. It's because the damage of the higher tier bat'leth models are not scaled correctly to the tier's other personal equipment and shields.
Exactly, having a side weapon with an instant fire exploit attack is key.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rienen View Post
The melee system in PVP is hindered greatly by:

The lack of range
Everyone having multiple knockback abilities
The over abundance of roots/stuns/holds.

Otherwise, yes, I agree. It's great.
I do agree, but I hope its subject to the game still being worked on. It's a great start, and primarily replaced my standard weapon for a full level in commander9.