Lt. Commander
# 1 Difficulty Option - Suggestion
02-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Just another suggestion for Cryptic - probably one that has been suggested previously.

Can we get adjustable difficulties on missions? I'm one of the players who finds most of these a little too easy, but I realize there are those who disagree. Can you add some option at the start of an instance? The ideal (for me) would be to have a couple of difficulty options (Normal, Hard, Insane, or whatever) with different numbers/strengths/types of enemies, or even slightly different goals. Since I suspect that involves a ton of coding, however, would it be possible to just add "X" levels to each opponent, selectable at the start of the mission?

For those of us who like to min/max, the increased difficulty could also increase drop rates of rare items, but honestly I'd be happy to do them even if the rewards were identical just for the challenge.

Also, along these same lines - would it be possible to "lock" an instance to prevent others from joining? I'm thinking in particular of Deep Space Encounters which get ridiculously easy with 6 or 8 players running around, but have been fun for 2-3 of us to tackle. If we could set the max number of players when starting an instance I think it would be a nice improvement.

Thanks for listening.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I respect you like things challenging, but i think games are meant to be entertaining and to me, challenge ruins the entertainment.

which is why i always solo, if you want challenge, just group up, i am sure you will get ***** by all the ships that get spawned.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't understand how mindlessly spamming the space bar could be considered to be fun. Thats all you have to do to beat most of the space missions.

Games should have at least a little challenge.

As it is now, the game plays it self. you don't play it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieK81
I respect you like things challenging
Then why don't you agree with the idea of a difficulty slider ? You can keep it on the current level if you want.

A difficulty slider is a logical feature in an MMO. Many MMOs customers, once they hit max level, reroll a new toon. They usually have better gear, know the missions, know the best way to build their toon and are much more experimented with the game. To give those players the possibility to increase the difficulty of the game is a good way to make them stay and pay their subs. Unless you want the game to lose the veterans money of course but I don't think that's what you want.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2010, 02:42 AM
I want to say, just because there are misconceptions about me, that I do favor a difficulty option.

Easy: Easier than it is now. (Enemies at Level -5)

Normal: How it is now. (Enemies at Level)

Hard: For casuals who want a little more challenge. (Enemies at Level +5)

Insane: For the hardcores. (Enemies at Level +10)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieK81
I respect you like things challenging, but i think games are meant to be entertaining and to me, challenge ruins the entertainment.

which is why i always solo, if you want challenge, just group up, i am sure you will get ***** by all the ships that get spawned.
I understand there are those who aren't interested in making things harder. My wife, for example, has played a handful of times and finds it tough enough to figure out where the bad guys are, let alone kill them. But, if we leave it as an option, everyone can choose their own comfort level and go from there.

As to grouping, I duo pretty much everything with a friend. We choose not to get into larger groups because with the lack of voice chat it just isn't all that fun for us. I actually find pairing up easier than soloing (although more fun because I'm hanging out with a friend) so I assume that adding more players will only make the problem worse, not better, but I haven't actually tried it out.