Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias_Focauld
I don't like it. Everyone should be playing under the same difficulty and death penalty.
WHY, simple as that why, you may play 40 hr a week and be very hard core into realism, mabye I am not. Go to current city of heroes and some msisions can be done at different difficulty levels, works great I think. this is a expansion on that idea. but why should I who enjoy the current system now be forced to have a DP that you want. And then they will make a DP in the middle that makes you unhappy and me unhappy. This way its a win win, you play your way I play my way. Saying we should all be forced to play the same way is like telling me every motorcycle on the road should be a Harley. Guess what people like choice and there own way.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Reasons NOT to have a Death Penalty

- Deep Space Encounters. How many times have you been drawn into a random encounter, only to arrive in the middle of an enemy fleet, and were instantly destroyed before you had a chance to maneuver. Then... you respawn BACK IN THE SAME SITUATION.

- Crystalline Entity. I think someone looked at 40 man raids in WoW, and said "We should do that". Except WoW raids are composed of 40 friends who know each other and have discussed at length what tactics they'll employ. CE is you and 39 random players, each of which thinks they know -The Way- to take it down. 40 people, flying in circles, dying and respawning...

- PvP. The point of PvP is to go in, kill each other, and leave. If equipment degraded, or XP were docked for participating in PvP, no one will ever do it.


Once gameplay is fixed and works smoothly, then maybe a DP can be added.

But honestly, I really appreciate the "soft core" feel of STO compared to the "extreme hard core" feel of EVE.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_Gideon
Reasons NOT to have a Death Penalty

- Deep Space Encounters. How many times have you been drawn into a random encounter, only to arrive in the middle of an enemy fleet, and were instantly destroyed before you had a chance to maneuver. Then... you respawn BACK IN THE SAME SITUATION.

- Crystalline Entity. I think someone looked at 40 man raids in WoW, and said "We should do that". Except WoW raids are composed of 40 friends who know each other and have discussed at length what tactics they'll employ. CE is you and 39 random players, each of which thinks they know -The Way- to take it down. 40 people, flying in circles, dying and respawning...

- PvP. The point of PvP is to go in, kill each other, and leave. If equipment degraded, or XP were docked for participating in PvP, no one will ever do it.


Once gameplay is fixed and works smoothly, then maybe a DP can be added.

But honestly, I really appreciate the "soft core" feel of STO compared to the "extreme hard core" feel of EVE.

This exactly
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias_Focauld
On the contrary, losing equipment worked beautifully in Pirates of the Burning Sea. It was brilliant.

Exp debt / loss is one of the weakest and most frustrating DP's out there.
POTBS is doing quite well i hear...

two empty servers is very successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_Gideon
Reasons NOT to have a Death Penalty

- Deep Space Encounters. How many times have you been drawn into a random encounter, only to arrive in the middle of an enemy fleet, and were instantly destroyed before you had a chance to maneuver. Then... you respawn BACK IN THE SAME SITUATION.

- Crystalline Entity. I think someone looked at 40 man raids in WoW, and said "We should do that". Except WoW raids are composed of 40 friends who know each other and have discussed at length what tactics they'll employ. CE is you and 39 random players, each of which thinks they know -The Way- to take it down. 40 people, flying in circles, dying and respawning...

- PvP. The point of PvP is to go in, kill each other, and leave. If equipment degraded, or XP were docked for participating in PvP, no one will ever do it.


Once gameplay is fixed and works smoothly, then maybe a DP can be added.

But honestly, I really appreciate the "soft core" feel of STO compared to the "extreme hard core" feel of EVE.
more reasons than this, but i am tired of repeating myself in every new thread and every few pages of older threads on this subject.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Not to flame or anything but OP's idea is horrible.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-24-2010, 10:37 AM
So now if my friends and I want to play together we can't unless we all have the same difficulty settings?

Nah....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Oh I will add one thing. If DP effects PVP I will not be pvping anymore.
I also wont be going those encounters and more with enemy signals.
Not whining, just saying it straight up I wont. I can find other things
to do in the game that does not involve having npc/player camping
a spawn point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Personally I like some of the ideas in this thread. The OP and others have put some thought into creating an interesting Death Penalty and are responding to comments.

And another big plus?

The conversation is civil. I can't give enough praise for threads where the conversation is respectful and posters are tolerant of others opinions.

We definately need more of that. Good thread and a good read.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk_Wells
Oh I will add one thing. If DP effects PVP I will not be pvping anymore.
I also wont be going those encounters and more with enemy signals.
Not whining, just saying it straight up I wont. I can find other things
to do in the game that does not involve having npc/player camping
a spawn point.
Hmmm...you're right.

I think that perhaps all PvP should be automatically set to "Standard" so it's how it is now.

Any harsh death penalties suck the fun out of PvP, and since you're not dealing with loot or spawns, only other players, the difficulty level would be a moot point.

Good call.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
Not to flame or anything but OP's idea is horrible.
Awww.....what's terrible about it, specifically? I kind of thought it was a good idea (and it wasn't just mine), which is why I posted it, but what don't you like about it?

Maybe we can make it better somehow.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.