Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I just took the player survey that Cryptic is doing, asking about the demographics, gaming preferences, and likes/dislikes of the game. I answered Ground Combat as a dislike because, truthfully, I enjoy space combat so much I'd rather play the game entirely from space and not have to deal with ground combat. However, at the same time I have some extreme dislikes with the PvP system as it currently is and wish there was a field on the survey for me to talk about it.

I'm sure these issues have probably already been brought up before, as it's not really any big secret. But PvP is extremely unbalanced and frustrating at the lower tiers. I'm talking about the Lt6-C0 queues and whatever the next LtC tier after that is, as I haven't been able to experience anything past that point yet.

It's probably because a lack of PvE content on the Klingon side that forces a large amount of lower ranked Klingons into PvP vs a small amount of Federation players. In 8 out of 10 games (and I'm not exaggerating here), the teams are unbalanced and it is usually 5 Klingons vs me and maybe if I'm lucky one or two others. The flaw with the queue system is the way it allows people to just drop out of matches that they feel are loosing battles and then join another queue. Because the newer Federation players feel so outnumbered by the Klingons (or perhaps just aren't able to cope with the free stealth that they get in all their starter ships), they wind up abandoning their team and leaving the rest of the players out.

First, consider penalties for early withdrawal from PvP instances. Possibly for each instance you drop out of, you will have to play X many instances before you start getting skill points/badges/credits again. Or if that seems too extreme to some, then maybe a delay that disables the ability to rejoin a PvP queue after you've dropped out for 15 minutes or so.

Second, please consider an auto-teaming system for people who join PvP instances. If you do not join a PvP queue as a team, then you should be removed from your current team once you load the instance. Then you should be automatically placed in an appropriate team for your side. I've heard people say that teaming doesn't help, but I sure feel like it does. The only time I've ever been successful at PvP has been when other players and I played as a team. In the event that a player DOES drop out of the game early, this will also provide the benefit of allowing the next player who takes his spot to quickly see where his allies are on the map and join them, instead of playing hide and seek for the friendly target on the map while the other team is slaughtering them.

As an alternative to the above, if you're not willing to consider auto-teaming, at least increase the maximum distance to spot ally targets on the map equal to the map size so that un-teamed players may see their allies regardless of where they are.

Also consider the idea of a respawn wait list for instances with unbalanced teams. This isn't as likely to fix the problem since when you're 1 vs 5 the chances of you destroying an enemy ship is slim to none anyway. But consider that if it is 4 against 5 and one of the 5 dies, rather than respawning, place them in a spectator position where they can view the battle from one of their ally's points of view until the teams are rebalanced.

As it stands now, PvP is just one source of frustration that provides an extremely negative view towards the Klingon. I feel that unless the issues of unbalanced teams are addressed, you may as well just do a find and replace in the Klingon NPC scripts and repalce all instances of "honor" with "ganking".
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 01:49 AM
what survey?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
what survey?
You should get something in your email about it if you purchased the game and applied a key. They're probably not sending it out to everyone at once, and it may just be a random sampling.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 01:56 AM
nice cant wait to get it then i got about 50 pages for them to go true then about how bad there support system is atm then i still need to add the game stuff 2
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Its on the main page. It's also about 3 pages long
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 01:59 AM
You get C-Store points for completing the survey, and get to provide some feedback. I suggest everyone take it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrind24
You get C-Store points for completing the survey, and get to provide some feedback. I suggest everyone take it.
Well, not really in depth feedback, it's just multiple choice.

The whole point of my post though is that there are issues with PvP team unbalance that need to be discussed and there was nowhere on the survey to address them so I was bringing it here. So yeah, everyone take the survey if you want points and stuff. http://startrekonline.com/node/1166 But please keep in mind that isn't the topic of this post.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggeh
Well, not really in depth feedback, it's just multiple choice.

The whole point of my post though is that there are issues with PvP team unbalance that need to be discussed and there was nowhere on the survey to address them so I was bringing it here. So yeah, everyone take the survey if you want points and stuff. http://startrekonline.com/node/1166 But please keep in mind that isn't the topic of this post.
The really telling one is the what should we charge monthly for STO.

I answered $0 as there isn't enough content to justify it....its like a single player game with pvp rooms as an option for me...
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 03:01 AM
Quote:

I answered $0 as there isn't enough content to justify it....its like a single player game with pvp rooms as an option for me...
Heh I answered the same way. D & D offers much more content than STO for the foreseeable future.

Yes I know, D&D has been out for a while. I also said foreseeable future. I don't see this game overtaking anything in content for 6 months. I just pray that we'll get a decent amount soon.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:

This

For me, STO is not an MMO, especially playing a Klingon, it's a (badly) matched pvp game where you play the same 4 or so maps over and over and over until you're completely sick of it. I guess this is why they make you play fed to 6 first, so you go level that char when you can't stand it any more, as at least there's a little variation in the PvE missions.

240 Cryptic points that can only be used to make fed chars at this time aren't going to keep me in the game, as I don't want to play fed. I want to be a Klingon, but they seem to have spent 99.999% of the dev time making the Federation.

I had hoped the higher you got the more tactical it would get, but from talking to people, reading up etc, it's still pretty much space bar killing spamming mind numbing monotony.