Lt. Commander
# 1 Group content has me concerned
02-24-2010, 09:38 AM
With the emphasis, at least for a while being put on group content being implemented worries me.

This game isn't set up for social aspects of MMO gaming. Its too instanced and chopped up for that.
Getting pick up groups working together for the up coming content is going to be a chore in frustration I believe. Leaving the content to be done by those mainly in tight, active Fleets. Those that find themselves without an active Fleet are probably going to miss out on most of the up coming content.

Its a prognostication I realize that...but I'm hoping my prediction is wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
As one who plays primarily solo/small group, I don't have a problem with raidisodes and group-specific content. An modern MMO needs both.

One thing to avoid (as LOTRO is learning): Don't have a solo quest thread that ends in a group encounter.

This is one of the things the CoH did right and LOTRO is beginning to follow up with and STO has starting out too: Instances that scale to group size. This is one of the greatest innovations in MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight55 View Post
With the emphasis, at least for a while being put on group content being implemented worries me.

This game isn't set up for social aspects of MMO gaming. Its too instanced and chopped up for that.
Getting pick up groups working together for the up coming content is going to be a chore in frustration I believe. Leaving the content to be done by those mainly in tight, active Fleets. Those that find themselves without an active Fleet are probably going to miss out on most of the up coming content.

Well they have to cater to intelligent people, pew pew people have the attention span of gnat's lifetime so if they do not garner to the desires of players who like to think then the game will fail with the next bright shiney that draws the pew pew folks away.

If there is no challenge in the game people who like challenges will depart leaving only people who expect to never fail and then whine when they find the game boring.

I hope that group content is included, I would like my hour and half's salary time that I invested into my lifetime sub and DDE to be worth it. Right now, there is no challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Most of the groups I've been in did fine in the 5 person area. Even a ground mission or two worked well, and that was with zero communication. The content is going to be limited to end-game levels, so it won't be a CE cluster **** with mirandas flying into shards.

There is a social aspect to the game, while things like CE make multi-zone chat a bad idea, it works fine in other zones. I was initially worried about the one sever for all system, but I regularly see the same dudes in game, and on the forums - something that is almost impossible in a game like WoW. So in a sense it's more social than other MMOs.

I think this will be a welcome piece of content that will give the folks that rushed to 45 something to do, and be there for those that will get there soon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight55 View Post

There's always the autogrouping system. It might not be the most efficient way to beat the mission, as the devs have said these would be hard to beat without a proper group, but it should be possible considering the lack of a death penalty.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 10:02 AM
So, we're now complaining that non-mandatory group content requires too much grouping?

The game needs more group content. But not too much. Some things should require groups. But only if you can also solo them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 10:03 AM
An MMO that doesn't require a good group for the top end content is a dead MMO.

Solo through the chaff (1st lvl - cap) is fine. Endgame needs group content (with better than average rewards) or the game will wither and die on the vine.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieScream View Post

Solo through the chaff (1st lvl - cap) is fine. Endgame needs group content (with better than average rewards) or the game will wither and die on the vine.

and this is where the problems are going to start to happen. because of the exploration store what could they posible offer in rewards. also if these things arent repeatable why should we bother doing them before a cap increase. i still have alot of episodes to do as it is anyway, because of that and all i did was play through the episodes to lvl up no DSE grinding, or fleet actions.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeldragonz View Post
and this is where the problems are going to start to happen. because of the exploration store what could they posible offer in rewards. also if these things arent repeatable why should we bother doing them before a cap increase. i still have alot of episodes to do as it is anyway, because of that and all i did was play through the episodes to lvl up no DSE grinding, or fleet actions.
I thought they were repeatable?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieScream View Post

I now understand why you quit and I didn't, and why we have dramatically different outlooks on the game...

You view the game to cap as an annoyance("chaff"), and the end game as the real game.

I enjoy playing the game. That's my criteria for if I'm enjoying it: Am I currently enjoying it. You're pushing through stuff you dislike to play the "real game".

It's all so clear now. You're a power leveler that wants to raid. In a game billed as a casual MMO. You pretty much set yourself up for disappointment here by assuming that it was secretly hard-core 9 hour 25 man raids at the end.