Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Since:

1) Only one skill of the three is listed on the skill chart as affecting it, under one of the top tier skills.

2) The tooltip for the power itself is bad and does not show the skills it needs like most tooltips do (I say most because there are quite a few others that are missing info too).

3) I could guess but WHOOPS skill cap and no retcons!

So jesus has anyone bothered to draw up a chart to make up for Cryptic's inability to write tooltips?

Edited for spelling.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Um... from all appearances.. not yet?

As for tool tips.. would be nice to either have them "abridged' or be able to turn them off completely.. maybe even have "right click" when banking to transfer all those items into or out of a person's bank, instead of drag and drop..

Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
This link came from the latest STOked.. http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/

When you choose a BO ability in the left pane, it will highlight the skills that affect it. There should be some way to tell in game, but this helps in the meantime.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 11:31 AM
In-game, the best info comes from bridge officer candidate info. If you have a candidate with Tyken's Rift, right-click on the candidate and click Info.

The information provided in that window is far better than any skill/ability info anywhere else in the game. If an ability can be affected by player skills, this window will always show all three player skills that affect it.

And I agree, this needs to be standardised.

Note, abilities can only be directly affected by three player skills (no more).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 11:31 AM
The Tyken's Rift ability should tell you which primary system it's based upon. This would be the Deflector Dish.

So then any skills on your Captain's skill chart that aid the Deflector Dish or its operations will add to and increase the effectiveness of using Tyken's Rift.

These are (from the descriptions of these skills themselves, you just hover over with the mouse):
Starship Operations Training
Starship Deflectors
Starship Deflector Dish
Spatial Anomaly

And (MAYBE) Starship Deflector Field although that seems geared toward other specific abilities.

What are you missing? It's right there in the skills list and the listing of the Tyken's Rift ability.

Also, I just noticed that when you're in your ship and you hit "P" for the abilities you have available, clicking on one of them shows up a listing that lists every skill attribute that effects the ability, either in magnitude or duration. If you have Tyken's Rift, it should be listed there. Just click once on it to bring up the tool pane.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah you need to get the ability first, then press P and find it on the list and it'll give you more details about it, not the best way of finding out about a power buts its the only one until someone makes a STOwiki
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRomulus View Post
This link came from the latest STOked.. http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/

When you choose a BO ability in the left pane, it will highlight the skills that affect it. There should be some way to tell in game, but this helps in the meantime.
Unfortunately, they seem as bereft of info as I am. The only one highlighted is the top tier one, but from picking it up on another character and having a random smattering of skills, I KNOW it's affected by three like everything else, I just don't know what the other two are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Danar
Yeah you need to get the ability first, then press P and find it on the list and it'll give you more details about it, not the best way of finding out about a power buts its the only one until someone makes a STOwiki
Like I said, tooltip for it is awful and is one of the ones that they did not complete with this information. All it has is random babble about duration and defeats self. Nothing about the skills required like the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuber
The Tyken's Rift ability should tell you which primary system it's based upon. This would be the Deflector Dish.

So then any skills on your Captain's skill chart that aid the Deflector Dish or its operations will add to and increase the effectiveness of using Tyken's Rift.

These are (from the descriptions of these skills themselves, you just hover over with the mouse):
Starship Operations Training
Starship Deflectors
Starship Deflector Dish
Spatial Anomaly

And (MAYBE) Starship Deflector Field although that seems geared toward other specific abilities.

What are you missing? It's right there in the skills list and the listing of the Tyken's Rift ability.

Also, I just noticed that when you're in your ship and you hit "P" for the abilities you have available, clicking on one of them shows up a listing that lists every skill attribute that effects the ability, either in magnitude or duration. If you have Tyken's Rift, it should be listed there. Just click once on it to bring up the tool pane.
Same issue, tooltip does NOT list it, and I already know the other two are from those five, but since there is no retcon system I can't go guessing exactly can I?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
It would be nice if all skills were marked with the type of power they were and what affected them.

For example: Emitter powers should say that they are so. As it is the Emitter skills only list 2-3 examples, which really doesn't tell us anything when it comes to later tier skills. It also doesn't help us choose appropriate equipment for our ships. Should I go with the Tachyon Deflector? How should I know? I can't really tell what it is affecting beyond the freaking Tractor Beam.

Skills should list power type (Emitter, Deflector, Sensor, etc.), whether it is Space or Ground and class branch (Tactical, Engineer, Science). This would make it much easier to create a viable build than all the guess work we have to do now.

Also, it would be nice if the BO Trainer Skill Selections were separated by class, instead of just by rank. It's annoying to have to read through each one (unless you know exactly what you are looking for) to find out whether they are Engineer or Science, Space or Ground. It doesn't even tell you which are Space or Ground, you have to sort of figure it out from the description. Simplify, please.

Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Hit P, find skill, single click skill, read the info on the right. I do think this needs to be changed, hopefully they will actually list all abilities affected by skills
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Look at skill placement as a mini-game.

What does Shield Emitters really do? Let's find out with non-refundable skill points.