Lt. Commander
# 21
02-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKillerSD
I like how the reviewer never made it past Lt. Commander 5
After reading for 2 minutes this became apparent to me also. I dont expect an STO reviewer to make admiral but if you write a negative review whereby your only experience is LtC and the Crystaline entity, then you already lost all credibility before it even started. Half of the fun for me in this game is bridge officer customization and micromanagement which doesnt even really begin until Commander
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't really agree with the reviewer. He claims that Ground combat is clucky and sloppy. I personally quite enjoy it, it's a nice change from Ship combat. He says the missions don't link, but isn't that just like the TV shows? Most of the episodes stood alone. Besides, there are interlinking missions (Such as the time-travel/genetic engineering ones)
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I find reviews on MMOs to be as accurated as movie reviews when applied to my personal enjoyment.

As such, I am wary of critics in both.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulun
You must enjoy a life filled with low standards.

The bar is set at your ankles, thus everyone only needs to reach that bar and that's sufficient.

But if you're wondering... No, bugs in an MMO aren't the issue but the MAJOR bugs in this game need to be resolved...

Let's list a few:
Poor collision detection
Inaccurate torpedo firing refresh (heavy plasma torpedoes anyone?)
Quest rewards for the wrong rank (capn reward for a cmdr quest)
Old quests for drastically lower levels do not go away no is their an option to hide
"Stuck" buttons in the hot bar (jab, ground skill shows up in the space hotbar and isn't removable as an example)
Clicking respawn sometimes does nothing (really annoying when midway through a long quest)
Sometimes you can't pick up "scanned" items

Of course I won't get into some of the clumsy interfaces, like trying to search for particular items in the exchange, a mass delete button for in game mail or scanning through BO skills when trying to find skills to train them in, just to name a few.
All MMOs have bugs on release be it big or small that might not had existed or were fixed in test and popped up again in the transition to live. Not a big deal as they get fixed eventually. I can however say I've never ran into the majority of the stuff you mentioned. Vanguard was 100x worse on release.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:
I like how the reviewer never made it past Lt. Commander 5 .... yawn, next review pl0x
Another review the guy made Captain and people complained he probably just grinded DSEs. What point of the game should someone reach before deciding the game is meh before you accept their opinion (note: not meaning changes yours)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx
A lot of my favourite music, movies and books got bad reviews from everyone doesn't mean they are right. I still enjoy them.
Reviews matter or no one would bother writing them. There are plenty of TV shows I've liked that got cancelled in a year and shows you couldn't pay me to watch that are/were consistently top 10 in ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akikisaragi
And this is something new to MMOs?
I think the point was most reviews aren't holding the bugs against the game and they STILL give it mediocre scores.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
I would hardly call IGN impartial, or accurate when it comes to reviews. They did put in some time however, but not very much. Lt Cmdr 5 is rather low and hasn't shown a lot of the game, especially the big storyline missions.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
we just need to ensure that we are providing good feedback in the surveys that they sent out.

yeah the game has it glitches, everyone knows that. But nothing drastic enough that all of you that are saying it's terrible has left the game or the forums. There is alot of potential, and I think we are going to start seeing some of our good suggestions come to pass in time.

Be happy, it could be worse....SOE could get ahold of it and turn it into hello kitty play world, or SWG
Lt. Commander
# 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsidecastle View Post
After reading for 2 minutes this became apparent to me also. I dont expect an STO reviewer to make admiral but if you write a negative review whereby your only experience is LtC and the Crystaline entity, then you already lost all credibility before it even started. Half of the fun for me in this game is bridge officer customization and micromanagement which doesnt even really begin until Commander
That's a major problem though don't you think?

Why do you have to get up to Commander before you start to have fun with the game? It should be fun from the very beginning.

Sadly it's fun at first but then becomes boring very quickly after doing what seems to be the same thing over and over again.
Lt. Commander
# 29
Quote:
I like how the reviewer never made it past Lt. Commander 5 .... yawn, next review pl0x
curious....

besides quest dialog changes and different enemy skins, what exactly is game changingly different from LT C 5 and up?
Lt. Commander
# 30
Quote:
LCDR 5 or CDR 10.. the points are still valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
I love the game but I know it isn't worth anything higher than a 6. I wonder if most reviewers are judging the game from the tutorial+first few missions, if so I can certainly see where the hate is coming from.
as above. with the notable exception of the time travel / guardian arc and the hobus system mission, it's been very repetative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akikisaragi
And this is something new to MMOs?
well, the other MMOs i have played at least have correct spelling.. BTW Cryptic.. it's ASTEROID.