Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
First of all, let me introduce myself. I've played in Beta since UO on many MMOs and have experience in such fields. I started out my gaming playing "Candy Land" where I won several tournaments til the age of 85 and retired. i have also played Monopoly, Parchessi, and Scrabble and have invented house rules that involve the application of peanut butter and jelly and various forms of nudity,

I am just hear to say, I am appalled by what Cryptic calls, "a game". A game is not a repetitive task of rules meant to be followed whereby someone keeps rolling the dice and moving their brightly colored doggy token (or race car) past "GO'. One does not hit the same buttons ad infinitium. Star Trek is a different game and experience that most FAIL to understand from other games. It is different enough, but it needs more rage-quit threads to make it seem more dramatic and soap operatic (like a typical episode of "Voyager").

I have it on the best of knowledge that Warren Buffet plays this game and it does not fit his rules of buying great investments. Even though those rules of his applies best to his personal games of finance, he chooses to stick them onto a game such as this and tells us all it should be a certain way, while raising up some valid points. Although, certainly, we all have valid points.

Since Headstart, it's taken me a more than a month to hit Commander (this with all 5 slots filled, although I am only playing 2 slots fairly heavily) and I am appalled by the end game! PvP keeps me queued up and I have little or no problem finding games on either side of the Klingon or Federation fence, which is a shame, really, I was hoping to tear my hair out at waiting hours for a game to pop up while I baked my famous Alaskan Truffle souffle, but alas, this was not meant to be. The rate of advancement can be too much and I am sure some people play certain ways, that they enjoy, that power-levels them up and others do not. Some, on both sides are more vocal than others. Some agree, some disagree, but at least, some do agree to disagree, don't you agree?

Gamespot, in their review, brought up some valid points on STO while changing yet ANOTHER review based on being called by lack of play time. Although such things are regular at Gamespot and their lack of knowledge about popular series that sell in the millions keeps them giving bad reviews about such popular games does not CHANGE the fact it is a BAD review with valid points. We should pay attention to such points, improve, and move on. I (know) Devs from Cryptic are centered around this from reading certain posts on the board, although, if one does not read the Dev Corner, one can be RIGHTFULLY FOOLED that Devs do not respond to the second, third, fourth, and more posts on the same subject while titles scream out, "Where are you Cryptic!?" Well, Cryptic is working on such things during their lunch breaks in their 50,000 sq. foot restaurant run by their team of 5-star International chefs in their 150 story offices.

I would like to further add that Cryptic knows *nothing* about Star Trek or the current weaknesses of the game, although they've stated that they are adding more content that requires not as much combat and they are even addressing more PvP concerns. The total lack of anything Star Trek, from the decendants to the missions are so evident to true Trek fans. One can ask where are the ties to the greats of Trek? Where is O'Brien's kid? Where is Paris' offspring? WHERE IS SULU? Such omissions are obviously glaring, I think you will agree. I don't want to be bothered by NPC banter or actually LOOKING for something; I want bright floating Neon-colored signs that point me the way. Perhaps this will consol those who are not happy with the game...but I doubt it.

And while STO does have it's fair share of problems which, admittedly, could have been circumvented without an early release bonus to release too early, what is done, is done. ATM the Devs are working furiously on the 45 day patch, which may or may not appease certain players. Servers have been added, that, projections shown by Cryptic could not foresaw, much the way all the problems I remember REAL WELL when WoW released to over-packed servers that I could barely CRAWL through if I was anywhere near a populated zone for a month or three. We should just ignore history and show Blizzard without faults and just call this STO one of the worst launches. While this can be admitted (again, there's that Atari Bonus) Cryptic knew well it was working with such a handicap when launched. But, people will complain and gnash teeth...until the next new MMO is released and folks will complain and gnash teeth at that.

ATM, this game appeals to me. I am casual. I could suggest things, like leveling tweaks, but there are other things that should be addressed in-game IMO (Klingon content being one, mostly PvE, but more PvP options are nice). It may not appeal to some and I see others who are fair critics giving in their two cents. I see others, perhaps myself painting too bright a picture, but I recognize that. There are some others, on the other side, who do not recognize their expectations being dashed by the reality of the gaming world, be it simming a Starfleet Bridge crew and needing someone to sit at the Comm station (and not getting any volunteers), pointing out magical visions of a corrupt Perpetual Entertainment that never came to pass, or whatever.

Welcome to the Nets, where opinions are cheap, even mine. People tend to rage and focus on the negative and not so much on the positive (it is easy to point out faults, even in Real Life). Meh, I am enjoying my easy time and not the need to be pushed into a yearly holiday event to talk to 100 people, even if it is optional (but I feel like I am missing out...oh, I am talking about WoW here!). Enjoy your stay. Have fun. Lighten up. be constructive, but not overbearing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
ok

10chars
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungin_garbonzo
ok

10chars
Yes!

also 10 charred chairs!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Just to clarify...

I only just found out that "some people" have been using complaint generators. I've never heard of these.

My posts are 100% genuine Typed-by-my-own-hand and out of my (dubious) mind.

So you can feel safe and secure you are reading a 100% home-made product with natural herbs and seasonings that have been grown in a garden out back and cooked to ripe perfection and not handled by some cheap chinese labourers that try to pass off fake BMWs as a "near" BMW at a much less price.

This kind of post will last years and years and will not fall apart from the breadth of a baby hummingbird much like the above mentiond "faux BMW" I described.

For your safety and quality assurance, only accept posts written by "Gold-Rush" (or even "Gold Rush" or some other nom de guerre I may have chosen on another forum/board) for YOUR Satisfaction AND Reading safety in these moments of crisis and need when the world economy has gotten us down. Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall. All you have to do is call. And I'll be there, Yeah, yeah, yeah. You got a Friend. You got a Friend. Ain't it good to know, you got a Friend.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Isn't this kind of the wrong section? And by kind of, I mean completely...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 03:20 PM
worst introduce yourself, share fan art, roleplay and make friends thread.....EVER
Lt. Commander
# 7 Answers to a couple of points
02-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Miral Paris is there. I have done two different missions involving her as the Khuva-Ma. The Guardian is there. My friend and I traveled through it two nights age and went back in time to help defend the original Enterprise and it's original crew. Sulu's descendant is upstairs in the Admiral's office. I have seen reference to several more of the descendants of characters we know.

I agree that it is a little repetitive and geared toward battle right now, but I am grateful that we Trekkers have a game to play at all and we can make an effort to guide Cryptic in a direction for the future which will bring more of the Star Trek Universe which we all know and love into the game.

"After a time, you may find that the having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as the wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. "
--Spock in 'Amok Time'
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 04:06 PM
This thread is about things you would do / have done with a Nickelback CD.

I will go first: blow it up with a spud gun, use the liner notes as bonfire kindling, use the jewel case for other CD's
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Rush View Post
First of all, let me introduce myself. I've played in Beta since UO on many MMOs and have experience in such fields. I started out my gaming playing "Candy Land" where I won several tournaments til the age of 85 and retired. i have also played Monopoly, Parchessi, and Scrabble and have invented house rules that involve the application of peanut butter and jelly and various forms of nudity,

I am just hear to say, I am appalled by what Cryptic calls, "a game". A game is not a repetitive task of rules meant to be followed whereby someone keeps rolling the dice and moving their brightly colored doggy token (or race car) past "GO'. One does not hit the same buttons ad infinitium. Star Trek is a different game and experience that most FAIL to understand from other games. It is different enough, but it needs more rage-quit threads to make it seem more dramatic and soap operatic (like a typical episode of "Voyager").

I have it on the best of knowledge that Warren Buffet plays this game and it does not fit his rules of buying great investments. Even though those rules of his applies best to his personal games of finance, he chooses to stick them onto a game such as this and tells us all it should be a certain way, while raising up some valid points. Although, certainly, we all have valid points.

Since Headstart, it's taken me a more than a month to hit Commander (this with all 5 slots filled, although I am only playing 2 slots fairly heavily) and I am appalled by the end game! PvP keeps me queued up and I have little or no problem finding games on either side of the Klingon or Federation fence, which is a shame, really, I was hoping to tear my hair out at waiting hours for a game to pop up while I baked my famous Alaskan Truffle souffle, but alas, this was not meant to be. The rate of advancement can be too much and I am sure some people play certain ways, that they enjoy, that power-levels them up and others do not. Some, on both sides are more vocal than others. Some agree, some disagree, but at least, some do agree to disagree, don't you agree?

Gamespot, in their review, brought up some valid points on STO while changing yet ANOTHER review based on being called by lack of play time. Although such things are regular at Gamespot and their lack of knowledge about popular series that sell in the millions keeps them giving bad reviews about such popular games does not CHANGE the fact it is a BAD review with valid points. We should pay attention to such points, improve, and move on. I (know) Devs from Cryptic are centered around this from reading certain posts on the board, although, if one does not read the Dev Corner, one can be RIGHTFULLY FOOLED that Devs do not respond to the second, third, fourth, and more posts on the same subject while titles scream out, "Where are you Cryptic!?" Well, Cryptic is working on such things during their lunch breaks in their 50,000 sq. foot restaurant run by their team of 5-star International chefs in their 150 story offices.

I would like to further add that Cryptic knows *nothing* about Star Trek or the current weaknesses of the game, although they've stated that they are adding more content that requires not as much combat and they are even addressing more PvP concerns. The total lack of anything Star Trek, from the decendants to the missions are so evident to true Trek fans. One can ask where are the ties to the greats of Trek? Where is O'Brien's kid? Where is Paris' offspring? WHERE IS SULU? Such omissions are obviously glaring, I think you will agree. I don't want to be bothered by NPC banter or actually LOOKING for something; I want bright floating Neon-colored signs that point me the way. Perhaps this will consol those who are not happy with the game...but I doubt it.

And while STO does have it's fair share of problems which, admittedly, could have been circumvented without an early release bonus to release too early, what is done, is done. ATM the Devs are working furiously on the 45 day patch, which may or may not appease certain players. Servers have been added, that, projections shown by Cryptic could not foresaw, much the way all the problems I remember REAL WELL when WoW released to over-packed servers that I could barely CRAWL through if I was anywhere near a populated zone for a month or three. We should just ignore history and show Blizzard without faults and just call this STO one of the worst launches. While this can be admitted (again, there's that Atari Bonus) Cryptic knew well it was working with such a handicap when launched. But, people will complain and gnash teeth...until the next new MMO is released and folks will complain and gnash teeth at that.

ATM, this game appeals to me. I am casual. I could suggest things, like leveling tweaks, but there are other things that should be addressed in-game IMO (Klingon content being one, mostly PvE, but more PvP options are nice). It may not appeal to some and I see others who are fair critics giving in their two cents. I see others, perhaps myself painting too bright a picture, but I recognize that. There are some others, on the other side, who do not recognize their expectations being dashed by the reality of the gaming world, be it simming a Starfleet Bridge crew and needing someone to sit at the Comm station (and not getting any volunteers), pointing out magical visions of a corrupt Perpetual Entertainment that never came to pass, or whatever.

Welcome to the Nets, where opinions are cheap, even mine. People tend to rage and focus on the negative and not so much on the positive (it is easy to point out faults, even in Real Life). Meh, I am enjoying my easy time and not the need to be pushed into a yearly holiday event to talk to 100 people, even if it is optional (but I feel like I am missing out...oh, I am talking about WoW here!). Enjoy your stay. Have fun. Lighten up. be constructive, but not overbearing.
A wall of text may only be truly honored by a full, unabridged quotation.

And on that note, I can't help but giggle at the people only reading the first sentence of every paragraph (I assume that's what you hoped for) and thinking this is an average QQ thread.

You, sir, are my favorite troll today.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Why do people dump trash in our lovely home? Capulet wants to cry now...this never ends pleasant