Lt. Commander
Just curious. I see myself as a defender of the game for the most part while having lots of ideas about how it could be improved. It isn't that nothing we've seen has frustrated me. I like Cryptic but can also see how their style would be better suited to some other franchises and think this game, in some ways, played to the weaknesses of their development.

For example: Space and isolation. City of Heroes and Champions could be over-instanced. I don't see how you make a Star Trek game without heavy instancing as well but this highlights the issue moreso as space feels less social than a relatively persistent city. It seems like a case where Cryptic's technology would be ideal for the job but I think it compounds a sense of isolation rather than correcting it.

That said, I'm a defender of the game who would give it somewhere between a 7 and an 8. The only Trek games I'd rank higher are 25th Anniversary/Judgement Rites and Borg. It edges out Elite Forces and Starfleet Academy by a bit for me. This keeping in mind that I'm ultra casual and like repetition.

Most reviews I'm seeing are around a 6-8 range. Some (like GameSpy) are pretty harshly negative. But on the whole, we're looking at a C+-B- range if you take out the extremes.

I just looked at Metacritic and they rank the game a 63, which they cite as "Average or Mixed". I'd think a 40 would be "Average or Mixed", a 50 would be "Average" and a 60 would be "Mildly Positive".

I see a lot of reviews that I think have good points rate the game as around 70 or 7.0 and that doesn't sound too bad to me. I guess I'm curious how scores like that spell DOOM for some people

I do have a confession, though. I've never enjoyed a game that got over an 8.5 or 85 overall from most reviewers aside from pretty much the Mario series and ********. So I am left wondering what it is that generally makes me prefer games in the 70-85 range. I think maybe some things that make for a "good" game actively turn me off as a player.

Oh. And if you average the reviews at Metacritic, you get a 65.2 roughly. Eliminate the high and low and you get a 65.7 there. Eliminate the two highest and lowest and you get a 65.25 there. Users give it a 63 but those seem split between 1s,2s and 3s and 8s,9s, and 10s and it's hard for me to take that kind of spread seriously.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
the game was just released way too early, many things are not polished, content is lacking... thats the main problem. it has potential though and we will see in around 6-12 months how things go. mmo ratings are always subject to change.