Lt. Commander
# 1 End game and ground combat
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Is anyone else concerned about this? Realizing that with the skill point cap that I would be limited in points, I spent most of my points for ships and few on ground combat, knowing a respec was coming 'soon'...and just used bridge officers to fight on the ground.

Now new content will come out in a month and it will require 5 players who are probably in the same boat as I to team up to win...but they may be weak on ground.

Anyone else had this thought? Maybe we need a respec sooner than later in the year?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otalp View Post
Is anyone else concerned about this? Realizing that with the skill point cap that I would be limited in points, I spent most of my points for ships and few on ground combat, knowing a respec was coming 'soon'...and just used bridge officers to fight on the ground.

Now new content will come out in a month and it will require 5 players who are probably in the same boat as I to team up to win...but they may be weak on ground.

Anyone else had this thought? Maybe we need a respec sooner than later in the year?
Of course we have had that thought--thats why their are massive posts on this forum screaming about the skill cap and how it would screw the player base.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I dont think that this will be problem. It would have to be a real difficulty jump so we will need skills to compete. I think all we will need is a good selection of kits (so you have tank, heal, cc).
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 11:03 AM
oddly the biggest problem with ground combat is fixed by the skill tree's other problem, namely intelligent tactical officers.

Until they fix the skill tree there is no reason to specialize in any weapon type other than general "beam/cannon/projectiles" I also took quantums, but that's beside the point. Two items that do the same dps and one costs less than a third the skill points, I'd rather just not specialize till this mess is fixed. Same goes for t3 and t4 ships which don't help the upper tier and are thus useless. So given that my dpsing ass has very little use for most some of the engi tree and almost none of the science tree and I saw that post about the borg queen, I thought it might be prudent to put something into ground.

I'm a tac officer specced with threat control, assault and close combat training as well as soldier and a little security (up to 5 where the points drop to 4 per skillup so its less efficient) I slap on some 50% resist poly alloy and hit overwatch/draw fire whose effects now last longer thant he cooldown and toss on supressing fire and I can now tank end game with no real loss of resources. Looks like 80% mitigation and no way my allies (who didn't put points into their trees so aren't doing as much damage) can't ever pull off me. Borg queen will be my homie
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
I just don't know why the Hell they cap us at RA5 and not 10 to start with.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbat_The_Blackhand View Post
I just don't know why the Hell they cap us at RA5 and not 10 to start with.
so they can release already-made content later on and say hey look new content!
seems every dev is doing this lately
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
STO would need to have remotely challenging content for this to be a concern.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Ummm,

The Taskforce thing is SUPPOSED to come out tommorrow from the IGN advert.

As for being concerned ?

Nope, because I and others spent ages saying again and again the skill cap wasnt reasonable and it would lead to the situation with people putting everything into SPACE because ground combat wasnt relevant in content to skill in.

Fortunatly, I did skill in ground skills so i am 100% geared to go for space AND ground so no problem for me.

But hey... as long as the game is capped everyone has to make choices and sacrificies which makes the game more unique with everyone having roles. Then again, the difficulty will probably be poor so at best unskilled characters will have a rougher time while those that did train for ground combat will do it faster.

However, I would laugh if it turns out these new ground episodes are so hard that having ground skills is the only way to really compete without serious problems. The CE of ground combat = the Queen perhaps = Much hilarity.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I concur the skill cap was a poor idea at best. Those who wish to rip through new expansions will anyway. It's obvious to me it's just a way to get people to buy more accounts so they can have versitility in their roles.