Lt. Commander
My brother just hit commander, and is looking to get emergency power to shields 3. But since he is a tactical captian, he cannot train it himself. So the question becomes, how does he acquire this skill? I think it needs to be bought on the exchange, but after reviewing about 300 bridge officer candidates, we can't find anybody with the skill. Is there some way to search the list and find somebody with the skill?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Until they implement BO training & trading you wont be able to get certain skills. Unless it can be found on a random BO on the exchange, but can't say I've seen one either. Same goes for the likes of Eng team III.

I'm sure they mentioned looking to get this in game soon though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-25-2010, 04:07 AM
I think you can train your own BO's in this skill buy buying one of your own skills up to 9.
Can't log in to check this for you atm as I am away from home.
Have a look at the description of your skills (sure it is a Lt Comm or Comm skill).
One of them will tell you that 9 ranks gives you the ability to train Emergency power to Shields 3.
Once you have the ranks, select the BO you want and click the 'Train' buton to replace one of thier skills.

Just noticed that he is Tactical. Sorry, as above poster will have to keep look out then...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestrus
Until they implement BO training & trading you wont be able to get certain skills. Unless it can be found on a random BO on the exchange, but can't say I've seen one either. Same goes for the likes of Eng team III.

I'm sure they mentioned looking to get this in game soon though.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I can find a bunch of Aceton Filed III, Aux to Structural etc, in the end, any Commander skill can be found maxed. Not so much the LtC ones. Looking for Engineering Team 3 myself at the moment, and no luck yet.

Also, the exchange should really be reworked in this regard. It's so hard to actually find what you're looking for in there, it really isn't funny anymore.

By the way, Aux to Structural III, is it even trainable? There's nothing in the skill tooltips about unlocking it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Come to think of it, I don't ever recall seeing any skill you can train to level 3 being available on a random BO on the exchange. Probably as it should be though, will work itself out once you can train/trade them.

And I agree, we definitely need a better search for BO's based on skill (and trait?).

Can't see struct to Aux as a trainable for me (Engineer) looking down my skill tree. But I have seen quite a few on BO's on the exchange, just be prepared to pay a good amount probably. To be honest, I tried it out and found it poor, unless you pump aux to at least 75. I went with Extend Shields III mainly with Aceton III on backup BO.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2010, 01:55 AM
I have been saying this over and over, in almost every topic where somebody comes up saying "hey I got a tier III skill from a rare BO, so what's the problem?".
So here we go again, yet an other attempt to inform people how the game currently works:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-flint
Yes you can get level III skills from rare BOs, quite a couple different ones actually.
However, with the one single exception of Attack Pattern Omega III, you can not get any level III skills at all that can be unlocked by players through the player skill tree.

The rank III skills that are found on rare BOs are those that are neither available through the power store on the starbase nor through unlocking by investing skill points. Again, Attack Pattern Omega III is a lonely exception and I actually suggest taking advantage of this while possible. Chances are the availability of this skill through rare BOs will be removed at some point.

To clarify: the above only refers to rare reward BOs and the (in-)ability to get certain skills from them.
Unlocking tier III BO skills through the player skill tree does work, but players can only unlock skills through this way that match their own character's career/profession (tactical, engineering, science).
Sorry for just copy pasting this from an other topic but a reminder of exactly the above seems to be needed here.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
I put 9 points into Scientist so I could train Science Team III to my science BO's, and my "Trian Officer" button is still grey.

I promoted my officers as high as I could and their "Train" buttons are still grey.

Why is this? Am I waiting to level up to Captain so I can teach them this? If I can replace their unavailble skills now at the Powers trainer, why can't I train them? Is it because my level is too low and I need to be a Captain to pass on that skill?

G
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVAL View Post
I put 9 points into Scientist so I could train Science Team III to my science BO's, and my "Trian Officer" button is still grey.

I promoted my officers as high as I could and their "Train" buttons are still grey.

Why is this? Am I waiting to level up to Captain so I can teach them this? If I can replace their unavailble skills now at the Powers trainer, why can't I train them? Is it because my level is too low and I need to be a Captain to pass on that skill?

G
At the moment, the tooltip on Scientist is incorrect. Training Doctor to 9/9 gives you Science Team III.

Back in Beta, Science Team was called Medical Team, so it made sense to link it to Doctor. Sometime during Beta, it was changed to Science Team and the tooltips were changed for Doctor and Scientist, but the actual mechanic still points Doctor to Science Team.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Good god, are you serious?! Why would it ever be under Doctor?! It's a SHIELD repair! How the hell is a team of medics going to improve shield levels?!

I can see why they changed it to Scientist, but why just change the tool tip and not implement it?!

That means I have to blow another 5 or 6 points just to see if you're right about this...

I wonder if a GM could reimburse me those points or if it would be better to wait for them to just fix the problem...

Thanks for the info!

I'm just finding this really hard to accept...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVAL View Post
Good god, are you serious?! Why would it ever be under Doctor?! It's a SHIELD repair! How the hell is a team of medics going to improve shield levels?!

I can see why they changed it to Scientist, but why just change the tool tip and not implement it?!

That means I have to blow another 5 or 6 points just to see if you're right about this...

I wonder if a GM could reimburse me those points or if it would be better to wait for them to just fix the problem...
At the moment, you will have to wait for the upcoming respec feature, which will let you re-spend your points.

Regarding the name, originally Medical Team was envisioned to heal (and add) crew while also giving science buffs (and debuff removal), but the crew healing was merged into Security Team to form what we now have as Tactical Team. Shield repair was added to Medical Team (now Science Team) in its place.

The tooltip change -- or, more accurately, lack of correct player skill link -- was clearly a very, very bad oversight.