Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 MT and the death of gaming
02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Gone are the days of true gamers that would quest for hours and hours to get some uber item gone are the days when a person would prepare teams of their friends guild m8s etc.. to kill a single boss mob. All these MT are not just making it more expensive to be a gamer they are changing what it means to be a gamer. It's no longer about your friends or your skill level its becoming about how much money you spend on the game. I was like alot of you because I started playing mmorpgs back when Ashron's call was still shiny and new. I then moved over to Anarchy Online once I heard about it cuz I have have always loved the idea of a tech based mmorpg. Then funcom did something surprising they released a expansion pack for a subscription game and charged people extra money for it. Luckily FC decided to give the EP Notum Wars to the subscribers who have been around sense launch a heavily discounted price I only payed $5 for it on launch day. It was nice of them but it was still wrong because AO was a broken game until NW came out and by all rights NW should have been free from the start cuz it made AO playable.


I enjoyed the game so I kept playing and accepted the EPs and I rationalized spending the extra money by saying to myself as long as they add a bunch of content its worth it even though I pay them a monthly fee. Fast forward to when FC introduced MT into AO at first FC made it seem like the new vehicles were going to be made availble to all subscribers for ingame resources but then they suddenly put it up MT. That caused thousands of people to quit AO I was on a 3 month payment plan so I was stuck with the game for 2 more months and got to see the decline with my own eyes. Fc had to make AO F2P with the first expansion pack just to boost the population so the game didnt look empty. I left after my sub was up and found COH from cryptic I was excited because cryptic seemed to remember what MMORPGs were originally intended to be. A living game that was constantly improving life was good in CoH until cryptic left and NCsoft introduced booster packs. I left CoH soon after because I personally wasnt going to stand for MT in a game I am paying a subscription for not matter if the items/powers are cosmetic.

The only reason I am still playing STO at this point is because star trek is my all time favorite IP and it is the reason I got into IT field in the first place. That wont last for long thought If cryptic decides to keep using the MT for this subscription based game because my money is important to me I have to work for every dime I get and I cant justify blowing money on things that should be in the game I payed for. On a side note DLC/MT is the reason I dont own a newer console anymore. I bought a xbox 360 on launch day I was having fun with it until I bought a game on launch day came home poped it in my 360 and saw DLC on xbox live for a game I just bought that ment the company left that content out of the game just to sell it back to me and they had the nerve to charge me full retail for the game. I sold my xbox 360 as soon as i beat that game and havent looked back. I went on my bro's 360 a few days ago and saw how out of control DLC has gotten on live its really sad when u think about it because 90% of the people that buy DLC dont earn the money themselves so they dont really care about spending it.

In short I have seen the gaming industry deteriorate over the years I have been a gamer and I am sorry to say but I think the days of a person's skill and time invested being the key to awesomeness are long gone. Now we are stuck with a gaming industry that is more concerned about milking your bank account for every dime they can and content quality has takin a back seat to the all mighty dollar. Anyway I am going to make sure my kids have to pay for any video games themselves out of their own money they earned that way they realize just how expensive gaming is now days. It might not hurt the gaming industry by its self but if enough people do it the game industry will start to feel the pain and stop all this MT bs. People defend MT but they dont really see how harmful it is for gaming and to me that is a very sad thing for gaming as a whole.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Is this like the 4th of 5th thread you've started about this now? I know I've posted in 3 of them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Is this like the 4th of 5th thread you've started about this now? I know I've posted in 3 of them.

Ya and people like you defending MT sadden me to the point of making this thread. I just dont think people like you understand how bad MT is for gaming.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Ya and people like you defending MT sadden me to the point of making this thread. I just dont think people like you understand how bad MT is for gaming.
All the world is irrational but you, then?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez420 View Post
Gone are the days of true gamers that would quest for hours and hours
More and more adults are getting into the hobby. 20+ hour sessions are fine if you can just cut class the next day, but it's not for everyone. And, frankly, those marathon sessions aren't really indicative of "skill" or "friends", just of not having anything else that needs to be done.

I'm sorry if having to hold down a job, pay my own bills, buy groceries, etc. disqualifies me from being a "true gamer". Although, now that I think about it, you didn't present your credentials justifying your ability to make that distinction... so, I guess I'm not sorry after all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez420 View Post
Ya and people like you defending MT sadden me to the point of making this thread. I just dont think people like you understand how bad MT is for gaming.
If people would stop buying crappy games, devs would get the hint.
I'm not readin all that btw. Bullet points, paragraphs, highlight key points.
I'm just sayin.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Expansions aren't MTs IMO. What western MMO are you playing that you can buy leet gear with MTs? I can't think of any that offer anything other cosmetic crap, except maybe SOE and SWG with the trading card game, and I think the verdict is already in on SOE.

I don't like MTs either, especially in games that have monthly fees already. Unfortunately, they are here to stay and are only going to get worse. Eventually, I'm sure it will drive me away from MMOs completely, but not yet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm sort of ****ed that there's not more stuff to buy in the C-Store, currently.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez420 View Post
Ya and people like you defending MT sadden me to the point of making this thread. I just dont think people like you understand how bad MT is for gaming.
Or maybe you are wrong and just compulsively posting rather than admitting it. It is your OPINION that MT is evil, it is mine an others that it is not evil. There is an equal chance we are both wrong, and your multi-thread crusades are not convicing anyone.

Oh, and those people that quested for days to get the uber items? They grew up, graduated and moved out of their parent's basement. Now, they have jobs, families, community obligations (clubs, etc) and other adult responsibilities (in case you haven't noticed, the MMO age demographic has went up since AO came out...went up a LOT). Long gone are the days of 18-36 hour spawn camps for the 'Foozle of uber 'leetness' like on EverCamp, er quest.

The demographic of gaming changed and games changed accordingly. They had to change, otherwise, they would not be making money. And not being a charity, the companies would not be making them. Time, apparently has passed you by OP and you are not able to adapt. You have two choices, adapt or leave gaming...and by your own admission, due to the IP you are adapting to STO. Its a first step....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_Cat View Post
Oh, and those people that quested for days to get the uber items? They (..) moved out of their parent's basement. Now, they have jobs
Obvious troll is obvious.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 PM.