Lt. Commander
# 11
02-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Real money transactions have been around since the dawn of MMOs. Just because they're being offered by the companies directly doesn't indicate a new trend in people shelling out real money for in-game items.

Hell, it's one of the things that made UO famous. Yeah, blah blah online game, nerds and all that, HOLY CRAP PEOPLE ARE MAKING THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OFF OF IT?
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
@OP if you really are a gamer then you realize that times change. Games change and the business models that go with it. Some where online is a interview with I believe it is the chairman of Sony US where he talked about the MT model being important due to the fact that the cost of producing games has skyrocketed. In order to keep the price points in the 40-60 range, MT's are instituted to provide value to minor content additions. This was first implemented in Asia I believe. (Could be wrong on that point.)

Most company who are using MT is doing so with the concept in mind that the additional content provided is for aesthetic or cosmetic purpose to let players have more choice on their characters. (EA speech at last years E3 I think. not sure.) Also MT is different than DLC.

This is not a defense of the MT model just pointing out a starting point for you to possibly do more research.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Ahhhhhh Asherons call-- A truly ground breaking title for its time.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
I'm sort of ****ed that there's not more stuff to buy in the C-Store, currently.
Me too, I received free 740 points thus far, and nothing to use them on, since I do not care for the races. I want that one adm uniform that Kirk wore. Saw it on a few people, and like it.

Anyway, as far as the oft repeated topic at hand, I like pie.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
@OP if you really are a gamer then you realize that times change. Games change and the business models that go with it. Some where online is a interview with I believe it is the chairman of Sony US where he talked about the MT model being important due to the fact that the cost of producing games has skyrocketed. In order to keep the price points in the 40-60 range, MT's are instituted to provide value to minor content additions. This was first implemented in Asia I believe. (Could be wrong on that point.)

Most company who are using MT is doing so with the concept in mind that the additional content provided is for aesthetic or cosmetic purpose to let players have more choice on their characters. (EA speech at last years E3 I think. not sure.) Also MT is different than DLC.

This is not a defense of the MT model just pointing out a starting point for you to possibly do more research.
I know you think you're being helpful but you're not. Honestly, this is like the 4th or 5th time the OP has started this thread, and it doesn't matter how rational the posters are in any of them, his hatred for MTs can't be overcome. Nothing you can say will change his mind.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoojo
Me too, I received free 740 points thus far, and nothing to use them on, since I do not care for the races. I want that one adm uniform that Kirk wore. Saw it on a few people, and like it.

Anyway, as far as the oft repeated topic at hand, I like pie.
I know. Between my CO and STO points I now have over 2,000 burning a hole in my computer's pocket.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-24-2010, 01:45 PM
We all agree that badly-done MTs can ruin a game. Badly done loot drops can ruin a game. Why not rail against loot drops?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I know you think you're being helpful but you're not. Honestly, this is like the 4th or 5th time the OP has started this thread, and it doesn't matter how rational the posters are in any of them, his hatred for MTs can't be overcome. Nothing you can say will change his mind.

Well... if that is true, then what we have here is another turd floating in the gene pool. (Concerning the OP I mean.)
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez420 View Post
People defend MT but they dont really see how harmful it is for gaming and to me that is a very sad thing for gaming as a whole.
At first, people complained about expansion packs. for all the same reasons people say MT is "evil". why should they have to "buy the game again" to enjoy the new content their sub has paid for? why is all the new good "l33t" gear locked away in the expansion? surely my cash was spent on making this, so why pay again?

expansions are now the staple and accepted method of prolonging a MMO's lifespan.

here's the rub, MMO's are "cool" now. talk to non gamer friends and ask them how many people they know who've played a MMO, you'll be surprised at the amount of them. and the number one reason why most people who wouldnt normally play a MMO end up leaving them?

the grind. the endless grind.

see, these people are just regular normal people. they do stuff other than play MMO's. given a choice between heading out with pals to spend a night on the town or trying a raid for the 40th time in the hope that the one item they want may drop, and they may be allowed to loot for and they'll choose the night out. they dont want weekly commitments to guild raids, or having to spend 100 hours in game beating on countless things to earn enough points or rat-tails or whatever it happens to be so they can finally get that piece of equipment, and its the frustration of a system that rewards such activities that leads them to eventually cancel and walk away.

thats where the problem is. see, there's far more of that kind of person than there are of the kind who'll treat a MMO like a second job, and more people means more subs, meaning the game company doesnt have to fire 20% of its workforce.

the kind of MMO you talk about is like the little privately owned mom and pop stores, sure they're great when catering to a niche market and oh so friendly, they'll remember your name and say hi when you walk in.. but the costs of keeping that running are so damn high that in the end they're going to sell up and retire.. and then starbucks will buy the space and within weeks it'll be filled with people you dont know who just want to come in and have their extra grande triple mocha no foam as quickly as possible and be back to their busy lives, and that shop will make a profit, because its catering to what the majority want..

MMO's are a business first a foremost, if they dont make money they'll go out of business. any fancy illusions you care to sell yourself about back in the day when they were different are just that, illusions. in todays gaming market people dont want to have to spend days and months and even years grinding away at a computer at the expense of everything else just to have that one item thats more often than not REQUIRED of them by guilds and cookie cutter ubar-builds and the whole elitist mentality that creates that whole scenario, so they'll never feel like they belong in that world, so they'll leave and that sub goes with them. pushing away a potential renewing source of income in business terms is madness.

so if you want to be angry and dissapointed at MT's being used to purchase cosmetic fluff that may well encourage a casual player to stay for another month or two, by all means go ahead, its your right to be angry and dissapointed.

but dont kid yourself into thinking anyone is to blame but people who prize and value these "l33t" items in the first place in all those MMO's past, the people who's elitist superior attitudes towards others who dont want to dedicate their lives to what should be a form of entertainment and the steps the industry has taken to try and deal with that and keep those casual players interested and subscribed. because THATS why MT is appealing, why it was introduced and why its here to stay.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-24-2010, 01:48 PM
So, if I understand it right, you are opposed to DLC and MT's because you feel that the develoeprs purposefully leave out content in order to 'encourage' you to purchase these items ?

I do know that the trend is going towards more leaner base games and filling in the blanks with DLC's but I havent seen this trend really fleshed out to this point. Most DLC's seem like mini expansions to otherwise full games. Not content that was left out but additional content. If they want to release games that are basic shells then the price better reflect that.

Quote:
All these MT are not just making it more expensive to be a gamer they are changing what it means to be a gamer.
This is only true if you let it be true. You can play STO without paying for any MT's. The only folks who your statement would be true for are folks who have a pathological need to have every item or collectemallitis as I call it. Otherwise in the vast majority of games Ive seen MT's in, you CAN earn the items thru gameplay alone. MT's should only be for those who lack the ability to invest time into a game, they should rarely be the only route to achieve an item or a service.