Lt. Commander
# 21
02-24-2010, 01:51 PM
New rule: you have to type out the whole word at least once before you are allowed to use the acronym.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I can't believe we have honestly moved from predicting the supposed and * extremely* unlikely 'death' of a new game to trying to claim that gaming itself is dying.

Since * when*? :p
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez420 View Post
Gone are the days of true gamers that would quest for hours and hours to get some uber item...

I'm not gonna make people scroll past all of this again. I commend you for using proper grammar and separating your writing into paragraphs, but shortening your thoughts into fewer paragraphs might help. A talented writer can usually get an idea across in less than 500 words. Food for thought.
Unlike some other MMO companies, Cryptic has promised that anything sold in their store will either; have no impact on game play and be completely optional or will be attainable through regular game play. So far they have kept to their word on this.

And btw, becoming one of the elite players in the games of old usually had more to do with your ability to find and use exploits and hacks than it had to do with any kind of skill at actually playing the game. If you didn't know this you are incredibly naive.

Lt. Commander
# 24
02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
I 1000% agree (despite the absurdity of that) with the OP

I Refuse to pay for any MT transactions.....sure I will use the points i have been given. But i will NEVER use my CC to buy anything from any MT store.

Even on my PS3 the only things I purchase are full games that I don't have. Like for example I bought FFVII for it.......something I am enjoying while I am bored whitless waiting for Cryptic to finish STO
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Unlike some other MMO companies, Cryptic has promised that anything sold in their store will either; have no impact on game play and be completely optional or will be attainable through regular game play. So far they have kept to their word on this.

And btw, becoming one of the elite players in the games of old usually had more to do with your ability to find and use exploits and hacks than it had to do with any kind of skill at actually playing the game. If you didn't know this you are incredibly naive.

SHHHHH that was supposed to be a secret. Jeez:p
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebleo
I 1000% agree (despite the absurdity of that) with the OP

I Refuse to pay for any MT transactions.....sure I will use the points i have been given. But i will NEVER use my CC to buy anything from any MT store.

Even on my PS3 the only things I purchase are full games that I don't have. Like for example I bought FFVII for it.......something I am enjoying while I am bored whitless waiting for Cryptic to finish STO
There's a difference between not buying an MT and saying the game is doomed because it has MTs. I know lots of people who won't buy an MT or an Expansion Pack. That doesn't mean the game is doomed; which is what the OP is saying.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez420 View Post
Gone are the days of true gamers that would quest for hours and hours to get some uber item gone are the days when a person would prepare teams of their friends guild m8s etc.. to kill a single boss mob. All these MT are not just making it more expensive to be a gamer they are changing what it means to be a gamer. It's no longer about your friends or your skill level its becoming about how much money you spend on the game. I was like alot of you because I started playing mmorpgs back when Ashron's call was still shiny and new. I then moved over to Anarchy Online once I heard about it cuz I have have always loved the idea of a tech based mmorpg. Then funcom did something surprising they released a expansion pack for a subscription game and charged people extra money for it. Luckily FC decided to give the EP Notum Wars to the subscribers who have been around sense launch a heavily discounted price I only payed $5 for it on launch day. It was nice of them but it was still wrong because AO was a broken game until NW came out and by all rights NW should have been free from the start cuz it made AO playable.

I enjoyed the game so I kept playing and accepted the EPs and I rationalized spending the extra money by saying to myself as long as they add a bunch of content its worth it even though I pay them a monthly fee. Fast forward to when FC introduced MT into AO at first FC made it seem like the new vehicles were going to be made availble to all subscribers for ingame resources but then they suddenly put it up MT. That caused thousands of people to quit AO I was on a 3 month payment plan so I was stuck with the game for 2 more months and got to see the decline with my own eyes. Fc had to make AO F2P with the first expansion pack just to boost the population so the game didnt look empty. I left after my sub was up and found COH from cryptic I was excited because cryptic seemed to remember what MMORPGs were originally intended to be. A living game that was constantly improving life was good in CoH until cryptic left and NCsoft introduced booster packs. I left CoH soon after because I personally wasnt going to stand for MT in a game I am paying a subscription for not matter if the items/powers are cosmetic.

The only reason I am still playing STO at this point is because star trek is my all time favorite IP and it is the reason I got into IT field in the first place. That wont last for long thought If cryptic decides to keep using the MT for this subscription based game because my money is important to me I have to work for every dime I get and I cant justify blowing money on things that should be in the game I payed for. On a side note DLC/MT is the reason I dont own a newer console anymore. I bought a xbox 360 on launch day I was having fun with it until I bought a game on launch day came home poped it in my 360 and saw DLC on xbox live for a game I just bought that ment the company left that content out of the game just to sell it back to me and they had the nerve to charge me full retail for the game. I sold my xbox 360 as soon as i beat that game and havent looked back. I went on my bro's 360 a few days ago and saw how out of control DLC has gotten on live its really sad when u think about it because 90% of the people that buy DLC dont earn the money themselves so they dont really care about spending it.

In short I have seen the gaming industry deteriorate over the years I have been a gamer and I am sorry to say but I think the days of a person's skill and time invested being the key to awesomeness are long gone. Now we are stuck with a gaming industry that is more concerned about milking your bank account for every dime they can and content quality has takin a back seat to the all mighty dollar. Anyway I am going to make sure my kids have to pay for any video games themselves out of their own money they earned that way they realize just how expensive gaming is now days. It might not hurt the gaming industry by its self but if enough people do it the game industry will start to feel the pain and stop all this MT bs. People defend MT but they dont really see how harmful it is for gaming and to me that is a very sad thing for gaming as a whole.
Yeah . . . your right. Our game developers should work for free . . .
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
There's a difference between not buying an MT and saying the game is doomed because it has MTs. I know lots of people who won't buy an MT or an Expansion Pack. That doesn't mean the game is doomed; which is what the OP is saying.
Precisely.

I for one reserve the right to decide what to purchase or not until I know what the heck will be offered.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-24-2010, 02:11 PM
If someone has a legit issue with... an issue, then why not let them discuss it?

So what if there've been other posts, or retorts that are logical but have bounced off the 'shields'? Dude doesn't like MTs. I don't blame him.

Also, the idea that 'times change' isn't necessarily good enough to justify a change. I think some things have happened in the gaming community that most everyone can agree are not good. For example, ahem, releasing a game that's just not finished. Now that everything's patch-tacular, some companies can have their cake (get the game out so other interested parties stop breathing down their necks) and eat it too (fix it at their convenience). But I think most everyone would agree that it's just not right.

Similarly, there's a fine line between an expansion, and a bit of content that really should have been there day 1 but isn't.

Sometimes it doesn't matter: I saw the DLC content for Dragon Age in the first week of the game's release. It gave me a chuckle, and I never talked to that NPC again. Others might want to. That's fine.

But MT items that affect gameplay...? There I'm totally with Mr. OP. Again, I think most everyone could agree that things are getting ugly here. Like a game of chess where one player gets to 'buy' a 2nd queen. I think that would leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

But why try to shut down the guy's post? If someone has an issue, let them discuss it!

L
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1MPER View Post
But MT items that affect gameplay...? There I'm totally with Mr. OP. Again, I think most everyone could agree that things are getting ugly here. Like a game of chess where one player gets to 'buy' a 2nd queen. I think that would leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
And, has been said several times in these threads, Cryptic doesn't offer content for for sale that affects game play. That ultimately means the discussion is pointless. You can't convince someone that buying a bunny suit for 80 credits doesn't affect game play if they don't wish to believe it.

Quote:
But why try to shut down the guy's post? If someone has an issue, let them discuss it!
Because without resolution there is no purpose. Ultimately these "sky is falling" posts go nowhere. This isn't the philosophy forum where debating the esoteric has some meaning. We have tangible proof of what Cryptic's C-Store items look like. It grows tiring listening to non-issues be over-dramatized because of personal preferences.