Lt. Commander
# 1 Question!
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Buddy of mine hooked me up with the 5 day free trial, I registered on this site, received the product activation e-mail, and exactly 20 minutes after that I got a piece of spam from this site called epictoon about buying star trek credits.. Has this happened to anyone else? When I contacted epictoon to ask them how they got my e-mail, of course the guy I talked with had no idea. I've never registered on their site and had never heard of them until that piece of spam.. I am confused. I just can't believe that its a coincidence. So ahh ya.. I guess I really want to know what do the devs plan on doing about stuff like this.. Or are they the ones giving out my e-mail address to spammer sites like that.. I just can't fathom any other way they could have gotten my e-mail address so fast after registering the game. So what gives? =/
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
It's happening to everyone. Cryptic has realy managed to cut into it a lot, and they're working on other means of gettting rid of the gold spammers. It's a problem on every MMO site, though, and won't be completely curtailed until Cryptic locks-out the forum to non subscribers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I see.. Thanks for the reply.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
won't be completely curtailed until Cryptic locks-out the forum to non subscribers.
This has already happened.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
This has already happened.
Actually, my understanding is that the STOD section is still open to non-subscribers. That could have changed recently, though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Actually, my understanding is that the STOD section is still open to non-subscribers. That could have changed recently, though.
My understanding as well. There's a number of people posting who say they've canceled and a few that say they want to try it. They could all be lying, though. People tend to do that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
I have tested it with a new account, and the only section I was able to post in was the Support section.

2 things, though.

1 - All members are able to send PMs to anyone regardless of their subscription status or even whether or not they are banned.

2 - People who have canceled are also still able to post. This is presumably because the 30 free days have yet to expire.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Doesn't matter that they allow subscribers to post in here or not. They simply hire a dude to sit and lurk the forums all day long to get names and e-mails of players playing in the game. Half of the gold-spammers that already have active subscriptions (those unbanned) will just sit here when they're not online spamming and pull names and other bio-data from your personal information. If they don't find you here, then they'll find you online.

There needs to be another solution.

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
I have tested it with a new account, and the only section I was able to post in was the Support section.

2 things, though.

1 - All members are able to send PMs to anyone regardless of their subscription status or even whether or not they are banned.

2 - People who have canceled are also still able to post. This is presumably because the 30 free days have yet to expire.
You're correct. It is locked down at this time. That means it's just going to take some time for Cryptic to hunt-down all the spammers and give them the boot.

The PM issue definitely needs to be dealt with, of course people can temp-fix that by adjusting it to only accept from Mods and Buddies, IIRC.