Lt. Commander
# 21
02-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Watch in horror as gold spammers threaten to take over the world...
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwasher View Post
******** movie would be an inferior Lord of The Rings.

******** already has more depth and a better story than Snore of the rings.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-25-2010, 03:04 AM
As a former WOW player and a ******** book reader, I can assure you that if they really want this movie to kick arse, it will kick arse. Some of the lore is just amazing. It's just that putting it in a game with current limitations and possibilities corrupts the subject. If they make a WOW movie they'll pop a multi million dollar turd. If they do a ******** movie, it could very well be freaking awesome.

That said, nothing beats a good scifi movie. No amount of purple skin cleavage can beat a borg cube fleet invading the solar system.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-25-2010, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptJackharkness
******** already has more depth and a better story than Snore of the rings.
******** has a lot of lore... but the fact that so much of it has be designed by multiple people, occasionally working at cross purposes, gives it lore much more akin to that of a comic book then LoTR.

And if you think LoTR lore is lacking, you probably haven't read anything beyond the trilogy and possibly the Hobbit.

If anything, the main problem with a ******** movie would be the fact that they would leave too much story out, forsaking a quality story for visually stunning fights and scenery (*cough* Revenge of the Fallen*cough*). They would do this to appeal to the mind-numbed WoW masses who don't even bother to read the quests anything.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webstravaganza View Post

And if you think LoTR lore is lacking, you probably haven't read anything beyond the trilogy and possibly the Hobbit.
you're right what i know about LoTR fits into the space of about 3 movies but it was enough to really turn me off to the whole middle earth thing and before you get on your literate high horse the 84 Dune movie was good enough to get me to read that whole book series ,and yes even the ones not written by Frank.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-25-2010, 05:34 AM
They need to get peter jackson in to do ********, he'll do a good movie.

btw cptjackharkness, don't go off the movies a lot of stuff in the movies didn't occur int he book, such as elves at helms deep and the whole arwen crap, she appears in like one paragraph in the book.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Calling you out for improperly crapping on LoTR lore and not having read the books isn't indicative of my being on a literary high horse, it's indicative of the obvious fallacy and incorrectness of your comments. Crapping on lore without knowing anything about it is simply ridiculous, and claiming that WoW has more lore than LoTR without knowing about LoTR lore is doubly-ridiculous.

You're certainly allowed your opinion on things, and I'd never presume to deny you that. But if you're not going to base it on the subject matter it's inherently worthless. I thoroughly enjoyed the Dune series of books and, if push came to shove, I'd say Dune has even more lore than LoTR. But Wow is at the bottom of the lore pile, especially with regards to cohesiveness.

Also, I'm gonna go out on another limb and say that Sting in that blue bikini is what got you into the Dune books, not the adaptation of the books into the movie, because it was awful. So there. Neener flippin neener.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptJackharkness
you're right what i know about LoTR fits into the space of about 3 movies but it was enough to really turn me off to the whole middle earth thing and before you get on your literate high horse the 84 Dune movie was good enough to get me to read that whole book series ,and yes even the ones not written by Frank.
Unfortunatly, that's like hahving only ever played STO and saying that Star Trek has no lore or history.

Tolkien invented no fewer than 3 complete languages for LotR, beyond the Hobbit and the Trilogy there's... 5 maybe 6 books (and not little leaflets, like minimum 300 or 400 pages each) of other stories built from the lore, some put out by Tolkien himself (i.e. The Book of Lost Tales) some compiled by other authers from his exhaustive notes after his death (i.e. The Silmarrilion)
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Doesn't really matter if WOW has more or better lore than Lord of the Rings, the fact remains LOTR was there first and therefore, ******** is, at best, an homage to Tolkien. Orcs and Elves are pretty much lifted from Tolkien's story, Orcs never existed in any mythology before LOTR and Elves didn't take that shape or form either. In conventional mythology elves were more akin to fairies or sprites.

I'd rather see a StarCraft movie.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwasher View Post
One basic rule for a decent video game movie: Don't let Uwe Boll do it.
LOL Agreed!