Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Combat Controls
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Lately I have been experiencing some strange things regarding my movement controls while on ground missions. First I target an NPC and fire or throw a grenade to start the action. Then, while my away team attacks the group of NPC's and activate their skills I usually use the 'a' or 'd' keys to strafe around to the side or back of the NPC's to flank them. Once I am on the side or behind them my controls are no longer 'w' = forward, 's' = backward, 'a' = strafe left, and 'd' = strafe right. Sometimes I get a 90 degree turn variation and sometimes its 180 degrees. The easiest way to put it is my controls stay the same as though I was facing in the direction as when I originally targeted the NPC. If I move to the side or behind the group I have to Esc to remove my target and then re-engage a target. That's not so bad when the NPC's stay in a tight group but most times they run up to you and Melee attack thus I try to side step and now my controls are all messed up and I am moving all over the place either trying to return Melee attack or just get out of range.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Another ground control issue
03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
I just came across another issue with ground controls. I was in a group engaging in the starbase portion of the infected mission. We died a few times and after one of the respawns, I noticed the action for my "w" and "s" key were reversed. "w" was back and "s' was forward. I went into my keybinds and they were set correctly so I tried to reset them but nothing. Then I reveresed them so that "s" was forward and "w" back. This seemed to work. However, once I got into combat I noticed my strafes were reveresed as well but I couldn't change it in combat so I died again quickly. On the next respawn I reversed my keybinds for "q' to be right and "e" left. This worked fine until the next respawn. On the next respawn all keys worked fine until I got to the combat area and selected a target. Once I had a target my controls reversed with the "w" being back "s" forward etc. like what the keybinds are now set to. But once I Esc and removed the target the keys reversed again so now "w" is forward etc.

This made the ground portion of the "infected" impossible for me since I could not control my avatar. On player had left the team already cuz we took a short break, then the leader who started the group left. With just three of us and me unable to control my avatar it was useless.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Long story short, your control in combat are different that the ones you set out side of combat and they're relative to seemingly random factors that mock your from the shadows.

It's a shame there aren't more posts about these issues. Then maybe the devs would respond, but no. People are too busy complaining about Feedback Pulse and PvP balance and so on and so forth.

This is the longest thread I've seen on it so far.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...40#post2384140

Like I said in another thread, I'm not gonna copy/paste the same thing over and over, but do feel free to go through the thread in the link and see if that seems like the issue you're having.

EDIT:
Oh, I know why people are just now noticing it! Because since Infected was launched people suddenly have to move about more franticly and thus are noticing the issues more and more.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
It's not strange, that's the way the controls are supposed to work.

Don't ask me why.

Enough players simply avoid ground if at all possible and focus their comments on space combat, that I'm not sure Cryptic realizes how badly received the ground controls are.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
It's not strange, that's the way the controls are supposed to work.

Don't ask me why.

Enough players simply avoid ground if at all possible and focus their comments on space combat, that I'm not sure Cryptic realizes how badly received the ground controls are.
OK idk what you mean by, "that's the way the controls are supposed to work", but I totally disagree. The controls are supposed to change as you move around. "w" should always be forward no matter which direction you face after seleting a target. I have never played a game where I selected a target and moved to the side and found my controls all mixed up.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguyhi View Post
OK idk what you mean by, "that's the way the controls are supposed to work", but I totally disagree. The controls are supposed to change as you move around. "w" should always be forward no matter which direction you face after seleting a target. I have never played a game where I selected a target and moved to the side and found my controls all mixed up.
I mean that I'm pretty sure they are designed to work that way. I can't understand how the game would have made it out of beta if the developers didn't expect players to adapt to the way the controls work.

I don't approve of the way ground controls work at all, but I think they are working as intended.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-22-2010, 06:32 AM
If you are in Fight and have a Target, you're moving relatively to that target.
From what I understand, there is no way to shut this Behavior off completely, you can only 'Free' your Camera from it.
You can still deselect your Target (and turn 'Auto target Attacker' in Options off) and move the 'normal way' again. Turning 'Face offscreen target on attack' off helps a bit too, - you wont turn around automatically while running away from your target anymore, but your best bet is still deselecting target.
Btw. I've noticed that the Options in 'Control'-Tab seem to mistake 'attacking' and 'in Fight'.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouv
If you are in Fight and have a Target, you're moving relatively to that target.
From what I understand, there is no way to shut this Behavior off completely, you can only 'Free' your Camera from it.
You can still deselect your Target (and turn 'Auto target Attacker' in Options off) and move the 'normal way' again. Turning 'Face offscreen target on attack' off helps a bit too, - you wont turn around automatically while running away from your target anymore, but your best bet is still deselecting target.
Btw. I've noticed that the Options in 'Control'-Tab seem to mistake 'attacking' and 'in Fight'.
Mouse movement also overrides whatever the game is trying to do. I've been experimenting with just holding down both mouse buttons to run for the entire fight, and it works really well. I think it's kind of cheesy and I avoid things like "tactics", "positioning", and "taking cover" by just running around like a lunatic instead, but it works *really* well.

Basically by keeping running I force other players to deal with the crappy targeting and movement, so it doesn't matter so much that I'm in the line of fire all the freaking time.

While I'm having success with that style of play, I don't really like it as much as I would making a careful advance, crouching behind cover to limit the number of enemies that can shoot me at once.

If I made my avatar 3 feet tall and did nothing but spam melee strikes until i get an expose, I'd be truly unstoppable.

Cryptic really needs to fix ground combat. I understand what to do to win, but the winning play style ignores strategy in favor of exploiting the games crappy controls.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Agreed. The issue seems to be with the camera movement relative to your starting position and the starting position of the mob. As you move and run with the keyboard, control becomes wonkier.

I like melee, and I fight using the keyboard to move and punch. I've tried the different camera options and like neither. Pretty quickly the opponent is not in my view as he has tried to flank my character for a kidney shot (or if he's Romulan, run away like a tribble). My captain is left looking at me from my monitor and throwing punches into the air. I wind up clicking my mouse on the screen as this seems to reorient things, or if Lunge is up, just hitting that to get closer to my target. Either solution is unsatisfactory.

I've tried melee in PVP and that imo is a no-go except for the occasional palm-strike due to the above issues. Anyone else successful with PVP melee and what is your trick to keeping the opponent in view?