Lt. Commander
# 1 Squadrons?
02-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Ok now I have spent a couple hours cruising through the forum threads - no I am not trolling or
fanboi-ing! These forums are where I sift thru to get info about how to learn about the various systems and usage of stuff in game. Lots of good help from a lot of great players (even the complaints - use as a warning of problems). Before I go back to playing I thought I would throw out this....

The game has 5 man away teams, 5 ship NPC's and I would guess this is part of the basic game engine. I was wondering if it was possible to institute 5 ship Squadrons for players. Could be ships you have earned thu play or bought in-game (or even bought from the C-Store but only available for those ships one game level below your present Rank). You would customize those ships and have to add BO's, equipment etc...Then you could have a squadron operated like a PC Fleet. You might be able to assign different ships to primarily operate as their basic function (Attack/Engineering/Science) but with a basic Defend/Attack default - basically 2 to 4 pets with their own abilities etc...

Accepting solo missions as a squadron would automatically adjust the NPC encounters in space to equals ( with perhaps a difficulty slider). Squadron command could only be accesed at a certain level ( Commander rank allows a 3 ship squadron - yourself and 2 'pet' ships...Captain can get 3 and RA gets the full 4 ship squadron complement) Play during the lower levels would allow you to gain ships fully equipped. Reaching Commander allows you to unlock the Squadron ability. You would have your lower tier ships or others you might want to purchase, in-game or C-Store. Equipment and BO's would only come from in-game.Customizing your ships/equipment/BO is the same as usual including the naming.

Players could 'sell' their ships to other players (even on the exchange - including equip/BO - or not) and get new ones to replace ships in their squadron. Operating the squadron in space can be done quite well within the programming requirements of the away team system with no artifically generated planetary surface required and only NPC's being matched within the squadrons levels (or harder ).

In combat I have always enjoyed the one-on-one encounter with a single ship that is perhaps higher enough to require me to use my abilities to operate the ship and BO effectively. (I found that the tension of attacking a Battleship with my Miranda Lt Cruiser - and winning - a little disconcerting). Cruising with my own squadron across Sector Space or around Stations sounds like fun as well.

One of the most necessary ideas I think would be to allow you to be cruising in Sector etc...as captain of Any ship in your squadron at the conn and the ability to summon your squadron at any time if you wish excluding where you accept a solo mission, once in you get no squadron 'call'.. Also, when you outfit your squadron you select one of the BO as captain and at anytime you may switch to command of that ship using that 'captains abilities' as if you were that bridge officer. Even in combat if you wish to switch to another ship you operate as that 'captain' and always able to return to your command ship and avatar. Your abilities would be those of that BO so consider your skill selections carefully for your BO 'captains". Your 'Command" ship would then operate as a pet untill you switch.

This will not adversely affect Fleets but allow players to engage with a few others in Fleet Actions as those have an abundance of NPC's. In away team actions the NPC's often outnumber you but I prefer upgraded opponents to simple numbers to balance PvE. I also think PvP'ers might enjoy Squadron to Squadron combat among or between Squadrons, between Factions or among Klingon Houses for status.

So what do you folks think about adding the recruiting and using of in-game squadrons? I liked the idea enough to throw it out ther for your thoughts. suggestions, ideas even flamimg will be welcomed, especially any mistakes I have missed or not thought out. Thanks for reading...

Lt Cmdr Jason
USS VALKYRIE NCC 97777
The Black Watch Fleet

ADD: The possibility of letting 5 players (perhaps from a Fleet or just a PUG) go into "Squadron" missions where you have 25 ships would be quite a wild idea but what a blast it would be. Balancing opponents would be a simple matter of mathematics and your opponents 'fleet' could be divided up into groups with various levels in each but all attacking as a fleet. Players (for gosh sakes improve that darned scalnner) locate their general equivalents in the opposing fleet and go...

The idea does allow players of different levels play together. Death penalties and rewards I leave to Cryptic and the forums.

By the way Cryptic can you imagine how much game playing time and resources players such as myself would devote to our squadrons? Longevity.........
Lt. Commander
# 2 I'm all for it
02-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryst6 View Post
Ok now I have spent a couple hours cruising through the forum threads - no I am not trolling or
fanboi-ing! These forums are where I sift thru to get info about how to learn about the various systems and usage of stuff in game. Lots of good help from a lot of great players (even the complaints - use as a warning of problems). Before I go back to playing I thought I would throw out this....

The game has 5 man away teams, 5 ship NPC's and I would guess this is part of the basic game engine. I was wondering if it was possible to institute 5 ship Squadrons for players. Could be ships you have earned thu play or bought in-game (or even bought from the C-Store but only available for those ships one game level below your present Rank). You would customize those ships and have to add BO's, equipment etc...Then you could have a squadron operated like a PC Fleet. You might be able to assign different ships to primarily operate as their basic function (Attack/Engineering/Science) but with a basic Defend/Attack default - basically 2 to 4 pets with their own abilities etc...

Accepting solo missions as a squadron would automatically adjust the NPC encounters in space to equals ( with perhaps a difficulty slider). Squadron command could only be accesed at a certain level ( Commander rank allows a 3 ship squadron - yourself and 2 'pet' ships...Captain can get 3 and RA gets the full 4 ship squadron complement) Play during the lower levels would allow you to gain ships fully equipped. Reaching Commander allows you to unlock the Squadron ability. You would have your lower tier ships or others you might want to purchase, in-game or C-Store. Equipment and BO's would only come from in-game.Customizing your ships/equipment/BO is the same as usual including the naming.

Players could 'sell' their ships to other players (even on the exchange - including equip/BO - or not) and get new ones to replace ships in their squadron. Operating the squadron in space can be done quite well within the programming requirements of the away team system with no artifically generated planetary surface required and only NPC's being matched within the squadrons levels (or harder ).

In combat I have always enjoyed the one-on-one encounter with a single ship that is perhaps higher enough to require me to use my abilities to operate the ship and BO effectively. (I found that the tension of attacking a Battleship with my Miranda Lt Cruiser - and winning - a little disconcerting). Cruising with my own squadron across Sector Space or around Stations sounds like fun as well.

One of the most necessary ideas I think would be to allow you to be cruising in Sector etc...as captain of Any ship in your squadron at the conn and the ability to summon your squadron at any time if you wish excluding where you accept a solo mission, once in you get no squadron 'call'.. Also, when you outfit your squadron you select one of the BO as captain and at anytime you may switch to command of that ship using that 'captains abilities' as if you were that bridge officer. Even in combat if you wish to switch to another ship you operate as that 'captain' and always able to return to your command ship and avatar. Your abilities would be those of that BO so consider your skill selections carefully for your BO 'captains". Your 'Command" ship would then operate as a pet untill you switch.

This will not adversely affect Fleets but allow players to engage with a few others in Fleet Actions as those have an abundance of NPC's. In away team actions the NPC's often outnumber you but I prefer upgraded opponents to simple numbers to balance PvE. I also think PvP'ers might enjoy Squadron to Squadron combat among or between Squadrons, between Factions or among Klingon Houses for status.

So what do you folks think about adding the recruiting and using of in-game squadrons? I liked the idea enough to throw it out ther for your thoughts. suggestions, ideas even flamimg will be welcomed, especially any mistakes I have missed or not thought out. Thanks for reading...

Lt Cmdr Jason
USS VALKYRIE NCC 97777
The Black Watch Fleet

ADD: The possibility of letting 5 players (perhaps from a Fleet or just a PUG) go into "Squadron" missions where you have 25 ships would be quite a wild idea but what a blast it would be. Balancing opponents would be a simple matter of mathematics and your opponents 'fleet' could be divided up into groups with various levels in each but all attacking as a fleet. Players (for gosh sakes improve that darned scalnner) locate their general equivalents in the opposing fleet and go...

The idea does allow players of different levels play together. Death penalties and rewards I leave to Cryptic and the forums.

By the way Cryptic can you imagine how much game playing time and resources players such as myself would devote to our squadrons? Longevity.........
Saw it on another thread....I was for it then too. Good Idea.