Lt. Commander
I don't know if this causes pet peeves for anyone else other than me ... but it's really starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Shield Generator
Medical Generator

These two generators seem to be artistically designed for the sole purpose of obscuring as much as possible so as to make it almost impossible to actually see anything. I'm not talking about the "bubble" field that defines the boundary of their PBAoE. No ... I'm talking about the size of the device itself and the BIG BRIGHT GLOWIE lighting effect it spawns on itself. Both of these things are quite annoying for the following reasons:

1. Device Size
The size of these generators seems to be almost tailor made to frustrate players who are crouched. This is because these generators, shield and medical, are almost exactly as tall as your character's avatar when your character crouches. This sort of "height matching" causes the target box for the device itself to become "quite huge" in a player's field of view while crouching ... which makes it excessively easy to select the fabricated generator as your target, especially when you want to click to target a hostile. That's because whenever a generator is spawned, it spawns right in front of you in the direction you're facing ... and if you're crouched at the time, almost all of your field of view is now being "blocked" by this "big huge" device that is blocking your view of ... well ... anything ... and you can't click through it to target anything hostile, because you're allowed to target the generator as a friendly ally.

Recommended solution
Change the graphic, and target/hit box(!), on the Shield and Medical Generators to be no taller than Ankle High. If I'm crouched, and deploy one of these generators, I ought to still be able to SEE the battlefield (and any hostile targets) on the other side of these devices. If that means simply deleting the animated "spinny bits" which make these generators so darn tall ... and keeping the rest of the graphics for the base ... I'm perfectly fine with that. Just make them shorter so I can see and target "over" them while crouched.

2. I'M BLIND !!!
The second really major annoyance with these generators is that at the center of their effect they have this BLINDINGLY BRIGHT LIGHT BLOOM which makes it impossible to actually *SEE* anything on the other side of them when:
(a) crouching
(b) within a couple meters (ie. like when spawned)

I've spent pretty much my entire time as a Lt Commander leading my away teams and simply not being able to SEE any of the battles I'm in. I drop a generator in front of me, while crouched ... and I'm simply blinded because my entire screen (or at least, all the useful parts of it that pertain to situational awareness) are completely flooded with this obnoxious blinding light bloom. The only way I can target things is to use the TAB key to select targets ... and even then it's often difficult to find the text saying what I've (now) got selected as a target. It quite literally is a case of being "blinded by the light" with these things.

Now ... if they were shorter and the light bloom were closer to the ground ... so that I could see OVER them when crouching ... it wouldn't be anywhere NEAR as bad! But as it is, I don't "SEE" combat anymore ... I can only "LISTEN" to it ... and wonder what the heck is going on. This results in an almost "anti-immersion" experience, in which I expend more effort fighting the game graphics that obstruct my situational awareness than I do processing and engaging the combat situations I find myself in.

Cryptic, if you need screenshot(s) of what I'm talking about, they can be easily provided upon request.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-25-2010, 02:32 AM
1. I think it needs to be that size so enemy players can see it. Otherwise it would be unfair to the other side that want to destroy it.

2. I don't have this bloom issue,b tu I believe my settings for bloom are set below the default. I can't say one way or another if this should be changed, but you can try lowering your bloom setting during and see if it helps before a change is implemented (if needed).
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapuff View Post
1. I think it needs to be that size so enemy players can see it. Otherwise it would be unfair to the other side that want to destroy it.
I'm going to dispute that notion on the grounds that the PBAoE Bubble graphic is "plenty" to indicate the presence, and position, of where these generators are. Bear in mind, I have no problem with the "distortion bubble" which defines the radius of the effect(s), which is clearly visible (to friend and foe alike), without being absolutely obscuring the way that the height of the generator itself (and its hitbox) as well as the brightness of the light bloom effect at the center does.

Bear in mind also that if I'm crouched "behind" a generator, and I'm having trouble clicking targets downrange "through it" ... it's pretty fair to say that the reverse (enemies trying to target me, rather than the generator) may also be a problem in PvP. Note that hostile mobs have "no problems targeting anything" in PvE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapuff View Post
2. I don't have this bloom issue,b tu I believe my settings for bloom are set below the default. I can't say one way or another if this should be changed, but you can try lowering your bloom setting during and see if it helps before a change is implemented (if needed).
Changing the bloom settings for graphics may be a "workaround" ... but doesn't address the "fact" that the graphics set for these items are "player unfriendly" by default.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-25-2010, 05:32 AM
It isn't my first most frustrating thing about the ground game but they do seem to be much to big and a couple of them put a load on the machines of everyone in the area.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Well you could always turn round drop it and then turn back. Secondly you can always hit target nearest enemy key.. or just dobble click the fire button in your toolbar which automatically selects and fires at your nearest enemy. I only manually select a target on rare occasons.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-25-2010, 06:43 AM
First thing I do in any game I install is to turn off 'bloom', it's the most overutilized thing by most games. It should be restricted to things like 'dream sequences' and in boxing games out when you've just being punched in the face by Mike Tyson, that's IT.
Other than that, learn to target with TAB. I quit trying to target anything with my mouse a long time ago, as you say, BOs and stuff near you always get in the way.
Also, scroll out with your mouse wheel so you can see things from farther.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-25-2010, 07:40 AM
I simply have BOs make the generators, problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyluryn
It isn't my first most frustrating thing about the ground game but they do seem to be much to big and a couple of them put a load on the machines of everyone in the area.
Hey, if simplifying the graphics for these generators makes them less processor overhead intensive, I'm all for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
Well you could always turn round drop it and then turn back.
I'm well aware of this. I'm also aware that it takes a few seconds of waiting before my avatar spins around to point in a new direction so as to plant the fabricated generator "behind" me ... precious seconds that are rarely "free" once combat has been initiated (especially while on Fleet Action Ground maps!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
Secondly you can always hit target nearest enemy key.. or just dobble click the fire button in your toolbar which automatically selects and fires at your nearest enemy. I only manually select a target on rare occasons.
All of which I am actually doing ... simply because such things are the ONLY means left to me to control my targeting of hostiles when I can't see what's in front of me. The problem is, that means I'm not being immersed in the game environment ... thus reducing both the thrill and the drama of playing the game while in combat.

It's the difference between watching the TV and watching the Radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
First thing I do in any game I install is to turn off 'bloom', it's the most overutilized thing by most games. It should be restricted to things like 'dream sequences' and in boxing games out when you've just being punched in the face by Mike Tyson, that's IT.
And I agree with you wholeheartedly. Hence why I'm asking Cryptic to remove the unnecessary video bloom lighting effect from the graphics sets of the fabricated generators. It's unnecessary *and* unhelpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeleca
I simply have BOs make the generators, problem solved.
So do I.
I'm also an Engineering Profession captain. I can make generators too.

Doesn't change the fact that ANY generator fabricated by ANYONE is damn annoying to be crouched behind due to the current graphics, lighting and hit box size issues on these things.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Of all the things to complain about these types of deployables, and you pick artistical stylings?

What about how horribad they are? Generators, medical or shield, turrets, and mortars are underpowered and expose you when deploying. Either weakness would be fine on it's own, but both just make em a waste of time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-25-2010, 08:38 PM
I've never noticed any sort of Expose effect on myself while deploying any of these things. Where did you get that from?